Neck/back Problem

Guest brit1

This is regarding my 55lb 9yo non grey. Over the last 2 years he has now for the third time suddenly been in pain, reluctant to walk etc and vet today said its a sprain in same area (when she turned his head to one side he yelped just like last time). He may have done it just over a week ago when he jumped on and off the picnic table at our dog park as he certainly behaved as if something horrible had happened to him that day but within a short time he was normal. Gave him some Tramadol and hopefully he will get better but what on earth caues this. I cannot think of anything that happened to cause it originally. Tomorrow taking for acupuncture. I usually use an EZ walk harness but is there something better? Any supplements that will help? He is usually fairly active although is a low key dog, we walk a mile or two a day usually. Taking him for acupuncture tomorrow in the hope it will help. Just watched a video re massage and acupressure that may help. brit

Guest Allyson

So sorry that your pup is so sore. I am not a vet, so wouldn't begin to suggest that I know what's going one, but have been dealing with an 11 year old Grey with neck and spinal problems. Acupuncture with laser seemed to make him more comfortable. He was also taking Dosyquin (sp?) supplements that I got off of Amazon from a recommendation. There may be glucosamine supplements that people like better. Definitely continue NOT using a regular collar.

I hope that your pup gets better. I also suggest trying to keep him somewhat quiet, and certainly not letting him jump anymore. Hard, I know. Best of luck.

Treating with just a pain medication (Tramadol) is not effectively reducing the inflammation. Using a muscle relaxant (methocarbamol) and either an NSAID (rimadyl, Deramaxx, previcox...) or a corticosteroid (prednisone) will be greatly benefical.

To truly diagnose the underlying condition more extensive imaging will need to be preformed (MRI, CT Scan...)

as my long time very experienced vet said, "these greyhounds have back and neck problems". my 8 year old male's lower back was acting up. we did 7 days of 1/4 of 325mg aspirin twice a day- w/ food. on my own i brought him in for some chiropractic adjustments. i'm not kicking the soccer ball enticing him to "go for it". but he's now able to jump up on the bed and doesn't seem stiff and sore. i didn't expect to be in a lower gear so soon, i'm sure your feeling the same.

as to the stronger meds, my vet tries to stay away from them as long as possible. his suggestion seemed to work, no internal bleeding, positive response w/ the least impact on my bank account.

Hope your boy's feeling better, and that the acupuncture helped. I agree with tbhounds that many of these cases of neck/back pain respond better with a muscle relaxer and an anti-inflammatory medication, rather than just tramadol. I've found that I usually get a better response from a steroid than a NSAID, unless it's a really mild case.

I'd be careful using any OTC meds. Best to consult with your vet, and make sure your vet is aware if you do decide to give any, as they can interfere with what your vet might want to put your dog on. I'm always cautious with aspirin as it can be very rough on their stomach. And IMO, the "stronger meds" are often more effective and safer than aspirin.

Btw, what breed is your dog, brit1?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg