Strange Behaviour

Guest jetska

So, Barbie's been a little weird lately. These events may not be related but I'll list everything I noticed that was out of character in reverse chronological order.

The weirdest, last night I heard a crying/wailing sound and see Barbie standing behind the couch. Her pupils were dilated and her eyes were huge. At first when I called to her she didn't respond, then when she 'snapped out of it' she went and lay down on her bed. Her eyes were still big for a little while after. The whole standing behind the couch thing lasted maybe 30 seconds.

She seemed normal a couple of minutes after that.

Last night on our walk there was a strange cat that was sauntering towards us down the path. Both houndies saw it coming. Barbie is usually really good with strange cats, just a bit of staring usually. Mouse not so much, she will sometimes bark and jump and carry on. The cat seemed unafraid of us and I was worried it would run smack in to us so we slowed down. It ducked into a driveway but it did not retreat far, just sat in the middle of the driveway, not even out of the dog's reach. Both the greyhounds were watching the cat, and I took a wide berth. Barbie barked at the cat! This is totally out of character for her.

On the weekend we went out for breakfast on Sunday morning. When we returned it sounded like a dog pound inside our house. Barbie was rooing and howling and Bender was doing his usual bark ..... bark .... bark. I could not see anything in the driveway that may have set them off.

On Saturday we went to the dog park. Barbie was restless in the car, circling on the back seat multiple times. This is weird for her. On the way home she leapt off the seat and attempted to get through to the front. It was like something bit her? The back seats are covered in beach sand and dirt so I though she was maybe pricked or bitten by something but with the other out of character things I'm thinking this may have been the start of something ?

So.... I am not sure what to tell the Vet. These things are subtle. They are weird for her. Maybe she needs thyroid testing? What are everyone's suggestions ?

*edited to add, Barbie is 7 years old, I have had her since she was 2...... she is generally healthy though had an autoimmune problem with her foot (metatarsal fistula) which was resolved with tacrolimus ointment. There have been no changes to the household since Mouse as adopted over a year ago.

Edited by jetska

Hello from Southern California. Just a question to consider: How is the blood pressure? I only ask, because I've had a kitty with similar symptoms. I know it may seem like comparing apples to oranges, but the dilated pupils brought back a very significant thought to me. She ( Clover the kitty) had been acting weird for about a week ( kitty language...missing points on chairs,scared to come into a lighted room). One day, she sat upstairs, and was crying. I went to get her, and she was in the hallway, facing the wall crying. I promptly took her to the vet, where they diagnosed very high blood pressure, which can in turn cause problems with sight, hence, unusual behavior. Just a thought...I certainly don't want to cause you any undue stress.

Again, kitties may have a different physiology...

I'm already a bit worried, just need to formulate a bit better before we take the symptoms to the vet. I'll try to video weird behaviour too just in case :/ Knowing Barbie it will be something really obscure, like the foot issue!

How old is she? And when did she last have blood work?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

How old is she? And when did she last have blood work?

She's 7 - last time she just had standard pre anethesia bloods before they did CT of her troublesome foot - that was a year ago

is there anything in particular on bloodwork the vet could look for ?

edited to add she had her parvo titre test and physical check up about a month ago....

Edited by jetska

I honestly don't know, but blood work and a urinalysis are always a good place to start to see if something jumps out at you. I do bloodwork on my dogs annually and/or if something odd pops up so seems completely reasonable to start there and talk to the vet about it while you're in. This could all be symptomatic of pain or her just not feeling well so my feeling is it could be anything, even a simple UTI. She's not very old so I would be less inclined to suspect something like dementia and think something medical seems likely.

Hope you can get it sorted out. Sorry I'm not very helpful, I'm sure others will have more concrete suggestions.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

hm, pain is possible.....

she pants more than the other dogs - this also could be a pain symptom....

The other thing she has had issues with is her mouth/teeth - she's had 14 teeth extracted so far..... but her mouth was pretty thoroughly checked a month ago.

Haven't witnessed any "events" since 10/12 and she seems her normal self now. I'll admit we haven't been to the vet for testing....but I strongly suspect that she hurt herself that weekend at the park, she yelped when Mouse knocked into her on 12/12 and they usually can bump each other in the house without that kind of reaction..... the lady who is coming to see Bender who does K9 massage etc (she was a human physio and switched to dogs go figure) is going to look at Barbie as well. She hasn't been for an off leash run since the day when she was being weird in the car. She has been in the car since then and was fine as well. Will see what the physio has to say and continue to watch her.