Electric Heat Pad For The Back - Suitable For An Arthritic Greyhound?

I just wondered if any of you had used anything like this on your hounds?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=19054&ar=1

It's human-sized of course but Doc is a big chap, and such a good boy that I'm sure he wouldn't mind having it put on him.

He was thirteen in August and has a dodgy back - medication helps, as does physio every couple of weeks, but I know his shoulders get sore by the end of the day and thought that he might enjoy lying there with it on for a bit in the evening. Under supervision, of course - we've already experimented with a hot water bottle, and it did seem to help, but of course with that I have to sit there with him and hold it on!

It's a very reasonable price so I think I might get him one as an early Christmas present....

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I have heating pads for both the cats and dogs (for warmth, not arthritis). I got ones designed for animals because they don't get too warm. It is my understanding that human heating pads can get too hot for dogs, that they shouldn't get over 102 F. I see the one you are looking at has a low setting, that might be alright. I do think it would be a help for Doc, and probably feel really good!

Thank you Remolacha, that's useful to know. I will check the available temperature settings before I buy - :goodluck for toasty, rather than toasted!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest Houston1219

I work in a pharmacy and recently spoke to a customer picking up antibiotics for his dog about this very topic! He said that his dog got second and third degree burns on her back *while at the vet's office* from a heated blanket when she went in for spay surgery. Be extra careful to monitor closely, and spring for the more expensive type with heat settings. The one we own has 10 settings and we have never used it higher than 2, so still, be extra vigilant and place lots of layers between the heated blanket/heating pad and the dog.

Odd thought, but would thermacare type pads be a feasable option? The ones made for back/neck pain come with a fabric sleeve that you could wrap around the dog? Or the bag of rice style ones that you microwave to a reasonable heat? Just a thought. Good luck to you!

Thanks everybody! It is temperature-controllable and I'm hoping that a low setting will be OK, but will check how hot that actually is before I buy. And I can run it past Doc's physio, too, we are seeing her on Thursday.

I don't have a microwave which rules most of the heat packs out. I did try one of those gel ones that you heat in hot water, but they don't actually get very warm, and cool off again very rapidly.

As an arthritis sufferer, I would like to point out that if he has pain from inflammation, you'd want to apply ICE, not heat.

You aren't supposed to even use a heating pad on elderly people, because of the risk. I don't think I'd put it on my dog, personally.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

As an arthritis sufferer, I would like to point out that if he has pain from inflammation, you'd want to apply ICE, not heat.

You aren't supposed to even use a heating pad on elderly people, because of the risk. I don't think I'd put it on my dog, personally.

I was going to post something like this. I have arthritis in my knees and on bad days, ice is the only thing that relieves the pain, other than a pill. Ice reduces the inflammation and that's what causes the pain. I'd try to find out from the vet if there is inflammation before putting heat on an area.