Sign in to follow this  
Feisty49

How Often Do You Bathe Your Greyhound?

Bathing Greyhounds  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How Often Do You Bathe Your Greyhound?

• Never or Almost Never (once or twice since adoption)
    • Seldom (less than once a year)
    • A Couple of Times a Year
    • On a Regular Schedule of every 3 months or less
    • When Necessary

Guest Scouts_mom

My adoption group has a greyhound spa day fundraiser every summer so they get bathed then. Otherwise it's only when they get muddy, smelly--often after spring expeditions.

Frostie seems to get one about every 2-3 months. He does seem to get a slight doggie odor to him at times, mainly during the spring and summer. We will just go out in the back yard and hose him down, soap him up then hose him down again. Now that it is cold we gave him one bath in the bathtub, but he HATES it in the bathtub!

Guest jetska

Mine are only bathed when icky which turns out to be almost never. Recently I had to bathe both as they had spent a lot of time playing in a very gross mud puddle. That's the second time Mouse has earned herself a bath - and the first time had to do with poop, and an impending adopter meet-and-greet....

Barbie has maybe been bathed 3 times in 5 years.....

*edited to add, that the exception to this is the couple of times they spent more than 4 weeks in the kennels and the kennel bathed them before they returned home

Edited by jetska

Guest Jacks_Human

I only bathe Jack if he gets into something smelly or sticky and needs it washed off. Otherwise he's naturally clean and smells of fritos :P and I just brush him.

Annually, which was not one of the choices.

For what it's worth, if my dog returned repeatedly from a kennel "smelly," I sure wouldn't keep taking her there. That would signal to me that the facility is not kept clean.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I wipe them down with baby wipes, clean their ears with them and do an 'all over'. My two actually enjoy this and they smell nice :). They get brushed first and then wiped.

"When necessary" Typically, shedding season and if they get really dirty.

Usually, Sammi doesn't need help in the spring getting rid of her winter coat. A couple good brushings outside = happy birds & shiny Sammi. A few times, she's had a bath and I've helped her shedding along.

This past year, it seemed every person I knew with a dog had shedding issues well into summer. Plus, with Lynni and River we had even more shedding going on. Sammi had a shower in the house in the spring and they all had a bath outside in the summer trying to get the shedding under control.

Guest jetska

Annually, which was not one of the choices.

For what it's worth, if my dog returned repeatedly from a kennel "smelly," I sure wouldn't keep taking her there. That would signal to me that the facility is not kept clean.

Who knows, kennel looks clean to me! They only bathe them as a 'perk' if they have stayed for a certain period, don't get baths for weekend stays (and don't smell bad after that either).... I think for regular dog owners it is a perk, but houndies don't really need cleaning.... so....

My guys go swimming/wading/laying in a river regularly throughout the summer. I consider that a bath enough for the most part. I do have to bathe Bu if he spends a lot of time at my friends over the summer because he lies in the dirt under her deck there for hours/days at a time. The sand gets down to his skin and he's a disaster. But, he loves it, so whatever. He also loves baths.

Not often. Maybe once a year?

We do swim in the summer. That counts as a bath. :lol

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Our policy has been once a year, whether they need it or not.

Plus extra hosing off (or doggie wipes) when Badger peed on Kenzie, or on his own feet.

Kendra, missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/7/04 - 2/20/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds,
    Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/16/03 - 10/29/14, who really knew what a good dog she was,
    and Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/13/10 - 1/31/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too.

We usually bathe our dogs once a year. The barn where I board Gracie has an indoor wash stall with hot & cold water, so it is quite easy.

Of course, galgo Beatrix had to get a second bath this year after RobinW's Xavi peed on her 3x during a playdate. :lol

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)