Sign in to follow this  
Feisty49

How Often Do You Bathe Your Greyhound?

Bathing Greyhounds  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How Often Do You Bathe Your Greyhound?

• Never or Almost Never (once or twice since adoption)
    • Seldom (less than once a year)
    • A Couple of Times a Year
    • On a Regular Schedule of every 3 months or less
    • When Necessary

A few months after adoption, Annie got filthy in a mud situation so I took her to a PetSmart for a bath. She hasn't had a bath since. My reason? She's not dirty, she doesn't smell, she doesn't have fleas and she gets brushed regularly. So I'm wondering if there is a reason to bathe her? I'm also wondering how often you bathe your hounds.

ETA: I changed poll so people can choose more than one option because Never/Almost never could easily be paired with When Necessary.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest chickenpotpie

I bathe her when she smells. She loves swimming and is a pretty outdoorsy dog so, she gets rinsed when she's been playing in lake/pond water or does heavy hikes mainly because she loves the water but also because lake/pond water can sometimes smell.

Real baths are rare...probably 2-3 times a year. She's not smelly otherwise.

If the dog isn't dirty or smelly, there's no reason to bother IMO.

Guest elizabeth7418

Addy always gets a bath after being picked up from boarding (which is only once or twice per yer), and usually not otherwise. Although I did just give her a bath yesterday, haha (her coat felt dirty rather than her normal soft and fluffy). It was her first since June.

If they slept in my bed, they got regular baths. Even though they didn't look or smell dirty, bath water proved that they were indeed dirty. :)

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Chloe takes outside playtime very seriously. She also loves digging and thanking naps in her holes. Olivia stays cleaner but if Chloe gets a bath, she gets one, too. I love how extra soft they are after they've been bathed.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Summit gets a bath every 12-18 months. It's not because he really needs it... I just figure I probably should. Kili used to get baths more frequently because she tends to roll in mud, bounce through dirty puddles, and because I used to show her in conformation. But I think her last bath was probably around a year ago.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

The get one as soon as the weather is nice outside to do so in the spring, maybe once more over the summer, and I try to squeeze one more in before winter. It's a chore doing it in the bathtub at home, and I have a kiddie pool in the basement I'll use over the winter if I have to. Kasey has terrible skin allergies so I try to ensure the dead stuff is scrubbed away as necessary. I've also been adding tumeric to their meals and WOWEE do they stink! So they are due for one, since I missed the pre-winter bath.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I voted for once or twice a year. I like to give a bath during shedding season, just to get some of the loose fur and flakes out. Other than that, I normally don't bath at all unless they get into something icky (unless the lake counts as a bath!).

Guest Clawsandpaws

Dudley sleeps in bed with me, and he is borded for a few days every couple of months where he gets dirty, so it ends up happening on a pretty regular schedule, about every other month. Sometimes I just need to rinse him to get all the dirt off.

I also wash just his feet at least once a week, but I'm probably a weirdo.

In the good weather, every month. In the winter, less often as it's harder on my back (unless I go to a dog wash facility).

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We bathe Ruby about every month and wash all her bedding. We do try to time it with her boarding though because she always stinks when she comes home from there.

Karen

Guest Doggone

I haven't bathed Autumn yet and it'll be her two-year gotcha date this March 1st. She doesn't do anything to get dirty, plus she doesn't go on furniture. If I go away, she goes to the home of another greyhound owner(s), and she doesn't do much more there. :D

If there were some extraordinary occurrence in which she got dirty, yes I would have her bathed, but for now, I checked off "never......".

I do wash her bed covers a few times a year, though.

P.S. I was told that just before she came to me she did get a bath, but she had just come into foster care, so maybe she was dirty (?).

She is definitely the cleanest and non-smelly-est dog I have ever had! :)

Edited by Doggone

Fletcher got a few baths, because he was white and liked to play in the mud :) The others, I have never bathed, although they don't sleep in my bed. If someone needed a bath now, I think I would take them to my neighborhood groomer and let him be the bad guy :lol

Leo gets his legs and feet washed very regularly, because his aim sucks. I bathed Henry 2 years ago when he got fleas, he hasn't needed one since so I haven't given him one. I do wash their bedding at least monthly, I think the smell and dirt ends up there.

Beth, Henry, and Peter (Petey). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), and Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020) you were loved more than you can know.

I answered "Never or almost never" but this also covers the "When necessary" category....I think I bathed Sadi twice in eight years, I know one time was when she rolled in cow poop...can't remember what the other time was for, she didn't actually mind being bathed.

Mulder was fairly good about being bathed but it didn't happen very often....Scully thought baths were the work of Satan, but he did fall into an ornamental fish pond as a pup which might explain that! :lol

Johnny has only been with us eight months, no sign of him needing to get wet yet :)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest TheGirlz

I wash Tessa's bedding regularly. When we go on a walk at her favourite park she likes to flop down into the really dirty mud puddles, she flops down into them and then splashes her front legs around in the water and covers her back and face in mud! - heaven forbid that she ever went into a clean puddle!! So depending how smelly the mud is it's a rinse off every time. Generally it would be a rinse 2-3 times a week and a bath 1 a month but only in Spring, winter she sticks to the path and summer the puddles have dried up.

Rebel has been here 6 years and I've never bathed him - apart from the occasional wipe with a baby wipe.

Dippy has been here for 5 years and has been bathed once, just after she arrived and was a bit smelly from kennels.

If they ever need a bath I will give one, but otherwise I would rather not mess with their natural skin oils etc.

Dippy (Dinky Dipstick) and Velvet (Redbrick Velvet). Remembering sweet handsome Rebel (Emporio Rebel).

My girls get a bath in the late spring when they are shedding out their winter coats. I give them a good scrub to help get rid of some of the dead skin and loose fur. I can always tell when it's time because their black coats get a kind of reddish-brown tint to them. If one of them decides to swim in a lake, they might get a bath to get rid of the dreaded lake-dog smell. I will also sometimes use waterless wipes on them, especially their legs and feet. Otherwise, there isn't much bathing going on at our house. I admit though, I do love the freshly bathed greyhound look. I use a shampoo formulated for black fur, and it makes them glisten!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Desi gets a "rain bath" now & again. When we're walking in the rain & he gets really soaked, we stop on the porch & I run a comb through his fur. That's about it.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

generally after camping everything including the dogs needs a washing w/ a mild oatmeal shampoo. east coast camping is pretty wet. both of my dogs get pretty muddy- when it's warm outside but that brushes off but if felix has been sticking his head under annie's bottom when she marks then he really needs a cleaning. i always do a spring wash up and get the shedding going- it' seems as if the shed is really stimulated by a good scrub. the dog's bedding gets washed regularly, but if the dogs stink- i have a super sensitive schnazz then into the tub even if it's cold out.

I voted "as necessary". Sammy gets about 3-4 baths a year, usually when his fur just starts feeling "off". Mandy normally got about 2 baths a year, again when her fur would feel tacky. I was lucky that neither ever developed an odor. When I had a Dalmatian, she needed a bath every 2 months or so because her fur was quite oily. I don't miss those days, as she hated being bathed. Luckily, Sammy just looks pitiful when he's in the tub.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly with Sammy (Where's Mandrill), the happy toy-flinging chow-hound. Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest AimeeBee

I did George's second bath since adoption on Friday. His bath before that was June, I think? His fur was starting to feel kind of off and he was a little smelly if you stuck your nose right up to him. So I guess every six months works for us!

I can't remember the last time either of mine had a bath although they've probably needed them at times. Even today they were running in a muddy field, but it was mostly just their legs and their bellies to a lesser extent that got dirty so I just toweled them off. Skye (mixed breed) on the other hand, gets one about once a month, mostly because she likes to roll in dead stuff.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Johberry

I voted "as necessary." We've had our boy only a few months and he's had one full bath. We do put him in the tub and wash his paws/legs when they get muddy and/or he steps in poop.