Put Our Beloved Gilby To Sleep Last Night.

Guest Allyson

Guest Allyson

After becoming ill a week after his 11th birthday on October 14, we finally made the heart-breaking decision last night to put Gilby to sleep. It never gets easier.

The only solace I have is that he is no longer in pain and unable to do anything that he loved. He also seemed to just let go last night when I held his face in my hands while the vet was doing the medical part. I feel like there was a moment of Gilby just finally getting the rest he so needed.

Enough became enough of pills throughout the day, being sad and scared to take him outside because he was supposed to be on strict rest, and I was afraid he'd hurt himself more. Yesterday, the medication didn't work and Gilby was just pacing around the house, and like the initial episode that brought things on in the first place, would not lie down. This had started in the wee hours of the morning, and just went on and on. Additionally, he barked every now and then, but we'd try to figure out what he wanted and it was clear that it wasn't food, water, to go outside, etc. It was uncharacteristic of him to do this. We gave him a bit of prednisone, which had "worked" a bit before, but it did nothing. My husband finally noticed that Gilby seemed to look like he was melting when he was standing....his front legs were spread apart, his neck and head sunken down, and his back hollowed like you see with an old, uncared-for horse. His back end was weaker.

We'd taken Gilby in the day before for his neurology check up, and regret it so much. He hated to ride in the car, was unstable and one of us had to hold him the entire way, and he was completely stressed. While at the vets, she pushed and poked around, and I think it just was so painful for him along with the stress. We should not have taken him in....we know better, but were "folllowing up" as recommended. I feel like I brought on the end.

He did eat a tiny bit yesterday -- a couple of plain McDonald's hamburgers. We've never fed him this kind of thing, and he ate them with gusto. I think the barking was his way of letting us know that something was more wrong than IVDD or whatever. We'll never know.

I just know that Gilby was a dog I could not have loved more. And I don't think that I've ever felt more loved by a dog. He was a true blessing and treasure to us. It's certainly hard right now and hard to know how to get through this. I know a lot of you "know."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Allyson

I'm so sorry .....the walk is truly never long enough

Oh, you are not kidding. They are happy and healthy one minute, then it's over. I feel like I can't bear it again. I am sitting here like a crazy person with his two favorite toys and his coat on my lap. I keep seeing him at the end, and I hate that.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(:grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

I lost one less than 90 days ago and the grief is still very fresh. It gets better but we never stop loving or missing them.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so sorry. And you are not a crazy person, you are grieving over the loss of a loved one. It seems impossible now, but eventually your pain over his death will be overtaken by loving memories of his life. :grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm sorry it hurts so much--you released him from the burden of his ailing body it was the final unselfish act of love. Do not dwell over his death but, celebrate his life. He will always remain close to you within your heart. Please allow yourself to smile when remembering him-he would want you to.

:grouphug Gilby was so loved and boy did he know it. Don't ever, ever forget how much he loved you - he was simply returning the love you gave him. I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry, I wish I didn't know exactly how you feel :cry1 Try not to dwell on the "if I had done this, or hadn't done that" You did what you thought was best for him at the time, that is all you can do. After awhile, you will stop seeing only his last few days and be able to remember all the good times. I lost my girl Charley just before Thanksgiving, so I am going through all of this too :bighug

:f_red

Guest Allyson

Hi all, thank you for your lovely words and support. It helps being in the company of others who love and have loved special Greyhounds. They are a soulful breed, unlike any other. I know that for dog lovers, any dog will burrow into our hearts, but there is something I can't explain about the love of a Greyhound. And, boy did my Gilby have my heart.

Unfortunately, this is the price we must pay for loving our fur kids. I took a nap with our other Greyhound (who has never been apart from Gilby since we got her), and our little mutt, and just tried to think about the wonderful things about Gilby. Wasn't too successful at holding back the tears, and definitely going down the "should have, could have, wish we would have" path. But, the way his face felt in my hands, and the way he looked at me at one point, told me that the time was right.

Again, thank you. I value your kindness and support.