Petzlife Or?

Guest Cardiffcouple

Guest Cardiffcouple

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone still uses PetzLife? I am looking for something that will help us with tartar. We brush our dogs' teeth almost everyday with Coconut Oil and still Mercy has a great deal of tartar buildup on her molars. Rocky isn't as bad but is heading in that direction. They had a full dental last February and will have another one this Feb. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to control the tartar.

Also, Mercy has been smacking her lips a lot during the night. Might this be a sign of a dry mouth? The sound is making us crazy but mostly we are just worried.

Thanks for any input!!!

Chris

Guest Johberry

We've been having luck with DentaSure Oral Gel for dogs/cats which we had heard about here on GreyTalk by members who have success with the product. There's a gel and a spray. We have both but I prefer the gel and brush our boy's teeth twice a day (half an hour-hour after a meal). The company that makes it suggests using twice a day. It's pricey but I like that there is no alcohol and the ingredients are supposedly all-natural. We buy it online (it comes up if you search with Google). Also, quite a few members have luck giving their hounds raw turkey necks at least once a week and/or other edible raw meaty bones that help with cleaning teeth. Hope that helps some. :)

Can you transition to an electric toothbrush? I've been using a Sonicare brush with my hounds for years. Once they adjust to its use I find they are soooo much more effective than your standard manual brush.

Regarding the smacking of the lips--that's often related to nausea. Try feeding a snack before bedtime and/or give Pepcid to see if that resolves the problem.

We've been using the Oratene water additive. 2 pumps into the water bowl the first time we fill it each day.

Rocket will not cooperate with teeth brushing, so this works pretty well along with things to chew on.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I still use and like Petzlife gel. Haven't tried it, but the DentaSure Oral Gel looks like a good product too. Any former Petzlife gel users find DentaSure better?

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Cardiffcouple

Thanks to all for comments. I am going to try the DentaSure Oral Gel and see what happens. We just bought turkey necks so will give that a try, too.

Chris

We've been using the Denta Sure for about a year and a half now and

I really believe it's done a better job. Can't really say for positive

though because at the same time we started giving Frannie coconut oil, fish oil

and Fresh Factors every day too so I'm not really sure if it was the tooth paste

or a combination of that and the additives that is keeping the tarter away now but

I'm sticking with the Denta Sure.

We've been using the Denta Sure for about a year and a half now and

I really believe it's done a better job. Can't really say for positive

though because at the same time we started giving Frannie coconut oil, fish oil

and Fresh Factors every day too so I'm not really sure if it was the tooth paste

or a combination of that and the additives that is keeping the tarter away now but

I'm sticking with the Denta Sure.

I really like the looks of the ingredients and am going to give it a try when I finished the current bottle of Petzlife gel.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I have seen excellent results with Petzlife and have used it for years. I brush one night and spray Petzlife the next. Beth has not needed a dental in six years. She lost some tartar stains when I started using it (more intensively at first).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Be careful if your dog is prone to seizures. I tried this on one of my greys who has seizures. The first time she had a couple seizures and I didn't put two and two together since my mom was in the hospital at the time and I was stressed. Several weeks ago I did the Petzlife and she had three seizures the next day. I looked online and see where it has triggered seizures in other dogs. I think it works, so I was sorry we couldn't use it. I hate having to get the dentals. Ava just got her teeth cleaned in February and we just did them again last week. The vet is talking like this will be a regular every six months thing. Gah, that's too stressful! I bought an electric toothbrush for her and also some of those knitted shower gloves to try and keep her teeth clean so we can put off dentals as long as possible.

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge