Racing Weight

MattB

Hi, I've got two hounds and I'm trying to work out what an ideal weight would be. Lots of advice centres around not going too much over their racing weight but, despite them both being retired racers, I can't find any reference to their weight on their paper work; this field is always blank. I've weighed then both but this is a bit meaningless in the absence of knowing what they should weigh. All advice appreciated. Matt

Guest AimeeBee

There are exceptions of course, but I've heard a good way to visually assess appropriate weight is being able to see the outline of the last few ribs and the points of the hip bones.

This site has a nice explanation and photos.

Edited by AimeeBee

Thanks very much for your help guys. I didn't know that info was available!

Direct point (Charlie) is currently 76 and Angela's kiss (daisy) is 66. I think the outline of Charlie's ribs has been receding of late!

M

Guest Wasabi303

Angela's Kiss raced at 62 to 63 pounds.

Direct Point was around 64 to 66 pounds, sometime a little higher.

Hey dmdsmoxie, I have had a similar problem of not being able to find my girl's racing weight. She raced as Bart's Looper. Could you help me find it?

I, too, am trying to figure out what her ideal weight should be.

Hey dmdsmoxie, I have had a similar problem of not being able to find my girl's racing weight. She raced as Bart's Looper. Could you help me find it?

I, too, am trying to figure out what her ideal weight should be.

She raced at 63 pounds. She was retired at 2 years of age and some trainers will add a little weight to their racers as they get older. Just like people they haven't fully filled out. So if she raced at 3 years old her weight might have been upped to 65 pounds.

Dick

I have been told by a number of greyhound vet savey vets that greyhounds ideally should not be over 5 pounds from what their race weight was. My girl Peace was 17 pounds over at one point- Oops! She embraced retirement.

My angel Sadi raced at 30.5kg but when we got her she weighed 34! She was a bit of a chunky monkey, but we soon got her back in shape, the trouble was she lived on fresh air so I suppose when she stopped racing the weight just piled on.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Angela's Kiss raced at 62 to 63 pounds.

Direct Point was around 64 to 66 pounds, sometime a little higher.

Any chance you can find out about Sweep Thru? Her weight's blank on Greyhound Data. We adopted her five months off the track at 63 lbs and she's about 61 now. She has a good tuck but has never been especially ribby (which I've read about other Kiowa Sweet Trey offspring).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Any chance you can find out about Sweep Thru? Her weight's blank on Greyhound Data. We adopted her five months off the track at 63 lbs and she's about 61 now. She has a good tuck but has never been especially ribby (which I've read about other Kiowa Sweet Trey offspring).

She raced between 57 and 59 pounds.

FWI: the weight is on GD, however it is in kilograms

She raced between 57 and 59 pounds.

FWI: the weight is on GD, however it is in kilograms

Ahh! I never thought to look for the weight beyond the main page...I see it now listed with her races. Thank you!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart