Weird Peeing Behavior

Guest Literaqueen

Guest Literaqueen

I'm not sure if this is medical or behavioral, but it's odd to me. I'm hoping it's behavioral, honestly. I boarded my hound for a week at the vet while I was at a conference. Picked her up a week ago yesterday. Went back to our usual potty routine. No problems Wednesday. Thanksgiving, I crated her for two hours after she'd done great all day and she pooped in her kennel. I figured it was some adjusting to schedule again. She did fine in her kennel Friday through Sunday. Monday she was in the kennel for an hour and pooped in it, just a little, as well as a LOT of clear urine. She'd drunk a ton of water that morning, so I figured that was my fault for not monitoring better. Tuesday of this week she pooped just a bit in her kennel. She was also hacking up what looked like remnants of breakfast, but it had been seven hours by the time she did this. I got worried and took her to the vet.

The vet said she'd been super barky while being boarded and might have irritated her throat. He also said that she might have irritated intestines from being upset during boarding. He put her on metronidazole for five days. She's half-way through her round now.

She did great Wednesday. No kennel issues, happy roaching, etc. Today I came home to a big puddle in her crate. I called the vet to see if there are urinary side effects of the metronidazole and he said there aren't. Her poop is solid on walks, and she's behaving normally as far as routine besides the peeing issue. The vet said to monitor her water intake and let him know if this happens again. She goes all night without any potty issues. She's okay in her kennel for the amount of time I'm gone normally- and she's been fine with my routine since August. Is it possible that a week of boarding would throw her off this much? Do I just stay consistent until she re-figures out our routine? Or is there a potential medical issue I'm missing?

I'm thinking that she had separation anxiety issues at the vet and is now associating being crated and you leaving with not knowing when you will be back. If you could somehow record her while you are gone that would be helpful. Or, if somebody could tell you if she is barking while you are gone. They are so sensitive!

I'm thinking that she had separation anxiety issues at the vet and is now associating being crated and you leaving with not knowing when you will be back. If you could somehow record her while you are gone that would be helpful. Or, if somebody could tell you if she is barking while you are gone. They are so sensitive!

That was my first thought, too. It's thrown her. She may associate being crated with being in the kennel at the boarding facility, and it may trigger this anxiety. Drinking a lot of water can sometimes be due to anxiety. Worth keeping an eye on, because there are some serious metabolic disorders which cause excessive drinking, too. Definitely worth a urine check.

Does she have to be in her crate? What happens if you leave her out of it?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Lots of hounds seem to get to a point where they say "enough" with crating. It's possible that 1) she picked up a bug at the kennel, or 2) she's telling you in the best way she knows how she doesn't want to be crated any longer.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck