Doodles Collapsed Tonight

seeh2o

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday afternoon update:

First of all, thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers, I know it is helping Doodles (and me), it means a lot to me. Now for the update

Dr Berry, the neurologist, saw her this morning and concurred with Dr. Stryker. He felt there were 2 courses of action to choose from 1) treat her medically for stroke/FCE and we should see some improvement within 24 - 48 hours of beginning treatment or 2) put her under anesthesia and do an MRI to see if she had a ruptured disc and then surgery if that's what it was. He and I both felt option 1 was the most reasonable approach. She is almost 12 and I cannot for the life of me see putting her through an MRI which may show nothing and if it does, I cannot see putting her through the trauma of spinal surgery. He felt that if it is a stroke/FCE that she could make a complete recovery (I am so frazzled that I may have added the word complete, but he did say if it was a stroke/FCE that she could recover), so that is the road we are on now. He has started her on corticosteroids, etc. Last night as I rode in the back of the car with her on the way to the ER I told her that she needed to fight and to stay with me and that Carl couldn't have her yet. When I said the last part she gave me a look as if to say - "No way do I want to see that dumb brother of mine yet." :beatheart

At this point in time they have assured me that she is in no pain and is not suffering, which to me, is the most important thing. A friend of mine was just down there for a follow up with her boy who has a broken leg (NO osteo!) and they told her she was resting comfortably on a doggy bed, seemed to actually be happy, considering the circumstances.

Please keep those prayers, good thoughts, white light, all good stuff coming her way.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

That seems fairly positive. I had a dog who had a strike at age 14 and made a complete recovery. Hoping for the same for Doodles.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Just seeing this. All my good thoughts are with Doodles and you. The update sounds encouraging. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Allyson

Gosh, I am so sorry for Doodles and for you. It's so hard when our fur babies are not well, and when we do not know what is wrong. I wish you the very best.

:hope:candle:hope:candle

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Fingers and toes and everything else crossable crossed for your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so encouraged reading about all the other greyhounds who have gone through this and fully recovered. I cannot tell you how much it helps to know that. I got off the phone with the hospital. On her own, she is laying upright on her chest. There is no way she could have done that last night when I left. She refused food (probably kibble - she's grown accustomed to raw :chow ), but she's on IV fluids/feeding/medication so, they weren't worried at this point. I told them she's a very shy girl in public and the vet tech told me they aren't seeing that shy girl. I told her that if I were on IV valium I probably would be feeling fine, too! We both had a chuckle over that.

I will keep the updates coming. Thanks again, please keep the good thoughts, prayers and power of GT flowing her way, she's not out of the woods by any stretch just yet.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Good to hear updates that she's at least showing some improvement. Sending lots of good thoughts that she continues to recover. Yes, please keep up updated---sending good thoughts to YOU too. You must be exhausted in every way.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm lucky enough to be in contact with her first owner, the woman who raised Carl and Doodles as puppies. She's pulling for her, too.

Queenwinniesmom, I've had about 3 hours of sleep. I went to work for a few hours just to get out of the house.

It's good that she can sit up on her own. I think that argues for the stroke/fce diagnosis rather than any alternatives. These dogs are amazingly resilient. Just when you think they are down for the count they surprize the heck out of you!

Our Cash had a seizure and heart stoppage after a vaccination. She was dead in the back of my car when we got to the evet. They ended up rescussitating her, but the doctor told us it would be a miracle if she went home, and that I should think about saying goodbye. She was sitting up by that night, and she walked out of the hospital three days later. She has some residual ataxia at times, but otherwise is completely normal (for Cash, that is).

Doodles can do the same thing!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Holding your Doodles in the light. And :grouphug to you.

<<she gave me a look as if to say - "No way do I want to see that dumb brother of mine yet." :beatheart>>

:)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter