Eternal Sleep - Written 7 Years Ago For Shae-Leigh

RhodyGreys

I had forgotten I had written this one, but today marks the 5 year anniversary of my Ringo passing, and we have lost so many in the last 24 hours. I've modified it slightly to eliminate gender-specific references.

Eternal Sleep
for Shae-Leigh, December 18, 2007

On your last day, you laid your head
On the softest blanket, and I said
You're ready to tread where the angels tread
Though I want to keep you here instead.

On your last day, you met my eyes
Told me you were ready to say goodbye
Without fuss or fight or the smallest cry
Your spirit went soaring into the sky.

On your last day, you ate a meal
You ate with gusto, you ate with zeal
Big brown eyes turned on me to steal
My heart again, in a moment so real...

On your last day, you took a stroll
I could see how the years had taken a toll
Through the coat you shivered, my only goal
Became your comfort, though it tore my soul.

You sniffed the wind, you ate your food
You did everything you thought you should
But nothing more, then you lay down to sleep
Your sleep was peaceful, your sleep was deep...

I saw your legs twitch while you snoozed in the sun
And I knew all you wanted to do was run
From your failing body, to soar with the stars:
What a gift were those last moments of ours.

You gave us the sweetest, most loving years:
I will miss being able to stroke your ears
I will miss being able to calm your fears
I will miss being able to dry my tears.

I will miss every day that we do not share,
But I know that someday, I will meet you there
At the Rainbow Bridge, at heaven's gate.
No matter the years that you have to wait.
Don't worry dear hound, I will keep you safe
Here in my heart, in a sheltered place.

© 2007 m.e. brady

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Someone pass the tissues please... This was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest sireltonsmom

Thanks for sharing. My sweet boy would be 16 today. We had him until he was 14.5 so we celebrate that. Your poem speaks to all of us who had to let our precious houndies go.

:wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:cry1

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Made me cry, but so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I agree, it's very beautiful. Sadly, December17th is our 5th year without Bailey and I still remember saying good-bye so clearly, albeit the pain has lessened over the years.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross