Strange Dew Claw Issue.

Guest ayimera

Guest ayimera

My girl was sleeping downstairs and I heard her yelp. I went down and she was circling to lay back down. She seemed fine. I thought she had a dream or something until I looked at her paw and she was bleeding around her one and only dew claw. I wiped it off and looked at it a little closer, but I still can't figure out what is going on. She has some like cartilage protruding from the base of the claw. I'm going to watch it for a couple days and see if anything happens before taking her to the vet. She seems fine but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen or know what it might be? It almost looks like her quick growing out of the nail or something.

QwmZmzi.jpg

EcvtvBt.jpg

Guest MnMDogs

Looks like the quick is exposed. Ths happens to our Greg quite a bit and the nail eventually falls off and grows back, though it's pretty painful for him the first day or 2.

Guest ayimera

Looks like the quick is exposed. Ths happens to our Greg quite a bit and the nail eventually falls off and grows back, though it's pretty painful for him the first day or 2.

Do you do anything to help it along or let nature take its course? She seems to be licking it a lot.

Guest MnMDogs

We took him to the vet the first time, and they just clipped the nail off. Now we just wait for it to fall off, and he does lick it a lot for the first day or 2. Oh we also give him tramadol if he seems really uncomfortable.

If it's still barely attached and you have the stomach for it (muzzle first) then, a quick tug to remove it. Good luck!

This happened to one of our hounds once. I'm too much of a wimp to mess with it so I took him to the vet. As we were sitting in the waiting room, the vet came out, looked at the nail and then - BAM - a quick tug and it was off! I jumped more than our hound did!! It was quick, simple and no charge from our vet!!

mssiggy2.jpg

Just an update: her nail fell off today! I wiped off the area gently and it looks ok so far, maybe a little swollen.

You might find that that dewclaw will get pulled off again, I know with my angel Sadi there was one she was always losing and the Labradoodle that I walk eventually had surgery to remove his because it kept getting pulled off.

It does appear that they become weakened, but as others have said it usually just means it's a bit sore for a couple of days and you just need to keep it clean until it hardens and dries.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT