Is It Okay To Not Use A Cone?

Jake came home from the vet yesterday with stitches and a dressing over them. The vet didn't give us a cone, and the discharge sheet says it's only necessary to use a cone if he messes with it. So far he hasn't touched it, but yesterday he was kind of out of it. My husband is going to check on him at lunch and make sure he's okay. Have there ever been times when you didn't need a cone after stitches, or should I just buy one knowing I will need it? Thanks!

Here's a photo of him resting at home. He didn't move from this spot for hours.

IMG_0050_zps1c3fdf1e.jpg

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

My dogs seldom lick while I'm watching. I had one girl who slipped down the hall while I was sleeping so she could lick without being heard. She turned a tiny four-stitch injury into a big, hairless scar. (Front left leg.)

132672498_8f068035d0_z.jpg?zz=1

I use a muzzle with a guard or duct tape over the strategically located holes. I'd especially do that going into a holiday weekend, because if he removes stitches you could be looking at having to go to the ER to get things fixed.

But I wouldn't trust him to leave it alone. My rule is that I never trust my guys unless I'm willing to risk what they can get up to. (As in, I'll trust them not to make a mess, but I'll clean it if I'm wrong. I won't trust them not to hurt themselves.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I also use a muzzle with strategic holes taped over, and moleskin on the plastic area to protect the gh's nose from rubbing. Much more comfortable than the cone of shame.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What the others said. A basket muzzle with a poop cup installed or duct tape to prevent licking through. Works like a charm in this house. :)

Feel better soon, sweetie!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Was this for the biopsy? When will you know the diagnosis ---

I was lucky enough to have "perfect" greyhounds that never messed with stitches.

Having the muzzle handy is the easiest way to control licking/chewing.

good luck - and keep us posted on results!

oh and :dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie for Jake when he feels better

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I just brought Bug home from the vet yesterday with stitches on her leg and no dressing over it because of how big her cut was. The vet told me to use her muzzle to stop her from licking it. I am keeping her muzzled at night and when I'm not around to watch her. As long as I can see her I leave the muzzle off.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Was this for the biopsy? When will you know the diagnosis ---

I was lucky enough to have "perfect" greyhounds that never messed with stitches.

Having the muzzle handy is the easiest way to control licking/chewing.

good luck - and keep us posted on results!

oh and :dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie for Jake when he feels better

Yep! We will get the results when we go in next Wednesday for his stitches to be removed. I'm not too worried because all along we've really thought it was just an injury, but still fingers crossed. Jake is already feeling better and getting cookies and extra love :) He'll think he's won the lottery with his people home for 4 days in a row this weekend!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com