Sudden Peeing/pooping In The House

Bella is going to be 10 in April, is healthy and sound. No previous issues.

We do have a baby but he is now 9 months old. We've made a real point to give Bella as much love and attention as before but she seems to only want it when the baby is around.

The last week she peed once and then tonight pooed in the house. Only change to the routine is fewer walks with me right after work because of the cold and dark - typically DH takes her for a walk later in the evenings.

Any suggestions?

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Resume normal walks and see if the issue resolves. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks :) She does get outside in our fenced yard frequently but unfortunately trying to walk with Bella and the stroller (or holding a madly wriggling baby) in the dark is a bit of a disaster. I'm wondering, though, that maybe even a shortened walk where the lighting and sidewalks are ok may help?

DH usually gets home at least 1-2 hours after me so no way to divide and conquer until that point.

Thanks, Jen - apparently sometimes I just need someone to play Captain Obvious for me and give me a kick in behind :lol (said with the utmost thanks for the post and said kick in the behind to suck it up and deal with the dark and cold and go for a freakin' walk :lol)

Well that may not be the problem, but it's easy enough to find out. And then once you know maybe you can figure out an alternative solution.

Would a headlamp help with the walking in the dark issue? I have one that I bought for camping, a Coleman I got for around $20-25 that I wear sometimes so I can see their poop to pick it up. :P We have streetlights, but they're spaced out enough that some areas are pretty dark. It's a good hands free option.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh, a lighted stroller! How about a baby back pack? I used to know an awesome woman who had her dog long before her child. She would put her newborn in one of those baby carrier things, use her husband's coat, fasten it right over the baby (he was asleep) and trek to the dog park like she had always done. You'd never even know the baby was under there unless he woke up! I was really impressed that she went to that length for her first "baby."

What if you go out in the yard and try and play with her? Your baby could be in a baby securing device of some sort--

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanks ladies :)

I appreciate the gentle reminders that I just need to suck it up and find ways to keep her routine and prioritize her over the baby's wishes sometimes :) I really appreciate that I wasn't bashed over the head with this message - thank you.

I want to second the head lamp (DH has a ballcap with the lights built in and also a clip on lihjt that fits on the ball cap. More comfy, if you like ball caps, than the light that fits around your head. Also, we had two baby back packs. A small one we used for quick outings and around the house and a big hiking one we used for longer outings. My son loved them. We used to wear the small one in the house to vacuum and do the dishes. That might make it easier for dog walks - of course you would need strong legs to squat down and pick up poop. :)

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

stick with the stroller or purchase a used pram- it's easier to keep your baby warm in the pram. i didn't trust myself walking outside w/ a baby pack on. TJMAXX and Marshall's has cheap head lamps, that's what we use at night/dusk. also, blinking reflectors are a must.

the one thing that i did when dd was born was i made sure that Azim(my saluki who was 7 at the time) had the same if not more attention. It seemed to work- also going out into the yard and rewarding Bella w/ food when she potties, that should help. this way she will get the hang of doing her business and not just standing and hanging out in the yard.

welcome to the world of bundling up your baby- prams do work well in the snow! btw, we used our pram forever...took the body out of the frame and schlepped it to the beach, DD had the best view of animals at the bronx zoo since it was so high, took it on our walks thru little italy and filled it w/ groceries as well. you should be able to find one on either craigslist or ebay- just go for the largest body/bed. DD napped in it until she was almost 3.

Nice!! Except he's 9 months old and would be out of it in a second. :lol

Today was really interesting - Bella was nowhere to be found when Colin was napping but when he wokje up, she wanted attention from whomever was paying attention to Colin.

jealous....that's what it sounds like...

.btw..my daughter's first words,"GOODOG" that's because i said it so much....it wasn't joe or daddy or any of the normal first words. also, azim was at his top top (over weight)weight by the time marisa was a year- it was eating fall out from under the high chair as well as when ever i fed her(marisa), azim got a nibble. i do believe in spoiling the dog so there won't be any jealously and it worked. more attention for bella...a little goes a long way.

We realized, too, that Bella's unsettled by doors being closed and gates going up where she had been used to unrestricted access to everything. Also as we reprimand Colin as he's doing something that he shouldn't, Bella's getting upset. So, we're trying to give her extra love and attention and resuming walks.

the only gate i used was at the top of our stairwell exit(2 family house) and when marisa napped her bedroom door was closed.other wise my daughter was playing in the studio w/ me working or in the kitchen while i cooked. pots and pans and oranges can keep a baby amused for hours. exactly how much are you gating off bella? do you approach bella after a "don't touch" or what ever interaction w/ colin? approach and stroke, no treats are really necessary. also w/ colin rather than "don't" try giving him something that he should do- yes, mobility in a little one is a challenge and keeping your house intact and the baby safe is as challenging as well.... it all works out. playdates w/ other young ones and outings to museums, etc will help tire the little man out.

Edited by cleptogrey

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking that the "baby voice" you use with your child is/was probably the voice you used with her. So when the baby wakes and you are using that voice to the dog it means you are talking to her too!

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Things are improving - we're making sure to give her lots of extra affection and time with us without him and things are better :)