Lupus And Aggression

macoduck

The dog is 6. His pink nose was the reason for the lupus diagnosis. He'd been in a home for over a year (maybe longer).

Upon diagnosis he began a course of treatment that includes:

Niacinamide

Cod liver oil

and "some other pill".

Peeling nose has never improved.

Earlier this year his personality changed and he started snapping at his owners. Bit the wife on the face.

A vet exam was done and he was seen by a behaviorist who said to stop the meds. Snapping continued and husband was bit. He was put back on his meds.

He does have sleep/space aggression.

These were very experienced owners and did everything right.

I don't know the full medical background and what tests were run.

What could contribute to the new aggression?

My guesses would be:

- unknown pain

- thyroid issue

- something with the lupus

- brain tumor

Have any suggestions to help this dog?

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest CFPWonder

Oh boy...

We lost our six year old girl a month ago to pancreatitis and some other unknown issue but a brain tumor or meningitis was suspected. It happened so fast.

She was diagnosed with lupus in April 2012; in addition to that she had occasional seizures. That poor girl had so many things wrong.

But as far as the behavior thing I don't really have any advice. Our girl was very sweet and loved people but she often growled at other dogs. We wondered why she did that as well.

She was on Niacinamide, Vitamin E and doxycycline. Her crusty nose improved while on doxy but if we took her off it got worse. I wish them luck trying to find a solution. It's so hard not knowing the cause😰

Your list of possibilities sounds about right, Ducky. Hope his family can explore them before something really bad happens. (Our Spencer was snapping when he became hypothyroid, and also became space aggressive, all of which disappeared immediately upon treatment. It was an easy fix for us.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Still hoping to hear more experiences to help this owner....

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If it hasn't been done, they should do a full medical work up.. blood, urine, physical. They need to find out if there is something paining him that is causing him to lash out. Examine the circumstances surrounding the bite/snap.

I have little experience with lupus, other than owing a dog with a peely nose and odd paw pads, and fostering a dog with a peely nose; both are suspected of having lupus, but neither have been tested. I did not find either boy had or have aggressive issues. In my research, I didn't find anything about lupus being related to aggression either.

I think they really need to turn to the professionals for advice on this one. There are a number of things that can cause aggression, but the one thing that concerns me is that these people, despite experience, may not be the right family for the dog. The reason for this is that usually between 6 months to a year, he's settled in and should be showing his true self. If they are at all a pushover with him, then the aggression could be dominance related. Hard to say though without knowing the full circumstances surrounding the snapping and biting (ie: was it completely unprovoked? Did he race across the room to bite or were they near him when it happened? Was he laying down at the time? Was he eating something? Are they firm with him? ...etc.)

It might be a little beyond the scope of this forum to offer them advice. I think they're on the right track by speaking with their vet and a behaviorist. But they need to ensure they are 100% honest with both. Full disclosure, even if they did something stupid, will help them get over this hurdle.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Is the "some other pill" prednisone? While rare, pred can cause aggressive behavior in some dogs.

If dog not on pred, I'd look for pain elsewhere, and do a full thyroid panel.

Also to help the peeling nose, I'd do a burst and taper course of prednisone (peeling nose is OWIE!).

Angel Pinky's regimen once she was off her burst and taper course of pred was:

- Tetracycline am & pm

- Niacinamide am & pm

- Vitamin E am & pm

- Omega 3 caplet pm

Also ate grain free food and gave coconut oil with dinner in the evening - made a huge difference for her skin. If his lupus is not under control, could be his skin feels crawly too. Getting the lupus under control might be all that is necessary.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Re "other pill", If on high-dose steroids, could cause behavioral changes, but I'd always rule out underlying organic disease before attributing biting behavior to meds.

>>Peeling nose has never improved.

May never entirely clear... IME, waxes and wanes seasonally. Worse in winter because of dry air, heating, etc.

>>He does have sleep/space aggression.

"Bam". Under what circumstances is he snapping? Are they applying topical ointments to his nose, which might make him defensive? Just getting too physically close? An exact desription of the events leading up to the snapping behavior would be helpful.

>>What could contribute to the new aggression?

Other circumstances, stressors or issues in the house? I'd have hoped this would have been explored by the behaviorist.

Any of your guesses could be factors, but as far as DL itself as the cause, unlikely.... however, systemic lupus would be another story.

Additional work-up needed, I'd say, if the situation at home is safe.

<Hi Ducky! ;) >

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg