Teeth Question

Guest k9soul

Cole's bottom canines are ground all the way down to nubs, perhaps from chewing on his crate at the track? What I'm wondering is if there is especial caution or care I need to take, and if it is still okay to give him meaty bones to chew or if any chewing will worsen this or cause more issues?

tumblr_nfcnqshUYd1spqxn7o1_1280.jpg

Honestly your vet needs to probe those teeth and actually you should have dental radiographs performed to see if they need to be extracted. Worn or broken teeth can and often lead to a source of potential infection--tooth root abscess.

If you ask veterinary dentists they will tell you if you can't bend it your dog shouldn't chew it. Bones break teeth (often slab fractures of the carnassial teeth-4th pre-molars)----of course many dogs are fed bones and things like bully sticks all the time and do ok but, I can't tell you how many extractions I have seen from dogs just chewing nylabones. I guess you have to decide risk vs benefit.

He had a dental done when he arrived a couple weeks ago with GO. I generally give my pups marrow bones which are softer than Nylabones, and I'm not too worried about breaking teeth, just if the teeth will continue to wear down and such. All the new dogs have dentals and are vetted when they come in and I did ask my group about it as I haven't officially adopted him yet.

Edit to add: You did get me thinking more about it though and I am going to ask if they did x-rays when he had his dental. I just want to be completely sure that was given the all clear.

Edited by k9soul

George's bottom teeth were worn to the gums, all four canines had the tips broken off, and he never had any problems with bones!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I did find an old thread about worn down teeth but the subject of giving bones and such didn't come up. Once I confirm there are no other issues with the teeth I'd like to be able to give him marrow bones with the other pups.