Diarrhea Question -- Insurance $ On The Way.

Is it more important to get fluids in, any fluids, or rest the tummy?

Joe has had diarrhea since Tuesday night. Every hour or two, but four times since 6:30 this morning (four times in the last hour). He has no interest in water, Gatorade or plain broth. He desperately wants the pizza I'm eating for breakfast!

I make a turkey and rice slurry last night, which he loved. It made the diarrhea worse.

Skin bounces back when pinched, gums look ok. He's feeling not real good, though.

So, do I just let him be, or give him more of his mush, watered down further?

We can't do a trip to the vet during the day today, but will tonight if this doesn't stop.

Edited by Riverhound

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try giving him a metamucil wafer to see if that slows down the diarrhea. I do think it's very important to hydrate as these guys have the tendency to go downhill really fast. Maybe try cutting some milk into his water and see if he'll drink that. It sounds like you're going to need flagyl. Any idea what caused it?

Also, I've had fairly good luck using sweet potatoes and chicken for diarrhea. In Turbo's last few months with us, he was regularly getting digestive upset. We'd cook a sweet potato in the microwave for 8 minutes (until soft), then let it cool and/or refrigerate it and serve it up with some sort of protein like bland pulled chicken or boiled eggs. Hope you can get a handle on it :(

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Huh. Could be the rimadyl, could be anything I guess. Maybe put a call in to your vet as well and see what they recommend. They'll probably want to see him since his diarrhea is so frequent, but maybe they can give you some ideas over the phone to let you know what to do until you can get him in. Good luck!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Appointment is at 5:30. Vet said to try chicken and rice, ice cubes, Gatorade. BTDT. Poor Joe.

I gotta say, he's such a good boy. Woke me up every single time last night. I bet he tries to hold it until I come home for lunch, too. Puppy pads are going down in the kitchen, though.

Aw, poor fella. Turbo had diarrhea in the house once when we weren't home. He was mortified. He was also really funny about night time potties - he would whisper-bark to get us up, it was a very soft "wooof", like "psst, hey. You awake?" :lol

Hope Joe's on the mend quickly!

Oh - here's a weird thing, and I don't know if Joe will go for it, but Heyokha absolutely LOVES coconut water. He'd suck down a quart of it if I'd let him. If you can easily get some non-sweetened (or hell, at this point, even sweetened) coconut water, maybe Joe will like it? Since it's become a bit of a fad drink, you can find it in all natural grocery markets and most standard grocery markets, and in every Latino market (the sweetened variety).

I wouldn't feed him for 24 hours. Some dogs do better on mashed potatoes and chicken or egg noodles and chicken. if rice is your preference, cook it in twice the water for twice the recommended time so that it's mush. It's supposed to be easier on the digestive tract, too. Whatever works best, just feed it as wet as he will tolerate it and that will add to his daily water intake, too.

I just adopted a senior who came to me with "colitis" which may have been 6 year long bout with hookworm, dx'd by my Vet via ELISA. I did all the usual OTC anti-diarrhea meds with mixed success, treating with probiotics, Zymex II by Standard Process and a Chinese herb called Eight Gentleman, but his poop ranged from gravy to formed but soft serve and everything in between. Went online and discovered OLEWO dehydrated carrots. I have no idea why they work, but I can tell you that I will never be without them! Holy bulk forming, Batman! What a difference!

Meredith, thanks for the coconut water suggestion! Will have to try that one!

Sure hope Joe feel better soon!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Puddle of bloody looking liquid poo on the kitchen floor when I came home from lunch. Vet doesn't want me to drop him off and run back to work, so we're still waiting till after. He's officially feeling funky now.

(I had a dog with HGE when I was a teenager. Horrible. This isn't that)

I was out sick yesterday and should've taken him in. He seemed like he was getting better. My poor, poor baby.

I can't believe your vet didn't want you to bring him in earlier. It sure sounds like the beginnings of HGE to me and from what I know the earlier treatment is started the better. Poor Joe :(.

One thing that helped Nadir in the past with episodes of bloody diarrhea was Manuka honey.

Aw, poor guy! A small amount of blood isn't unusual when the colon is irritated, so if it's a trace amount, your vet is right to not be overly concerned. I'm sure you'll be gettting flagyl tonight!

Awwww.....

:getwell JOE

We'll look for an update later.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Heart rate was 50 at our vet, is up to 75 here. Temp 101.4 now. She doesn't feel any masses. Took him out of room for ultrasound and rectal.

We're hoping *just* diarrhea that developed HGE at this point. I didn't like the other options at all.

Looks like he'll be admitted for fluids regardless.

Nothing funky on the ultrasound that this vet saw. She cautioned that she isn't a radiologist. Rectal was bloody, and made him need to go again so I went flying out into the cold night so he squirt more blood.

They're getting the paperwork ready to admit him.

Thank god for insurance!