How Cold Is Too Cold?

IansMom

For a walkie? Ian, Bella, & Petey would argue that it's NEVER too cold for a walkie. This is our first fall & winter in Baltimore after having lived in Houston all of our lives, so we have never really had to even think about that. We bought all 3 winter coats, "tummy warmers," and booties from Voyagers K9 Apparel and they fit perfectly. The last couple of days have started out in the teens and remained in the 20's throughout the day. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice….oh and walking if there's snow too. That's another issue.

Thanks!

**Not sure if this belongs in health and medical, but since it has to do with their wellbeing, I decided to post here.

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~

I would say that it's too cold when they don't want to go anymore. As long as their feet are protected, and they don't mind the boots, I wouldn't worry too much about a short walk. They keep moving and you can monitor them all the time for their comfort level. Try it a few times and check their feet over well afterwards to make sure they are staying relatively warm in the boots.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sometimes its too cold for me and they could keep on going. If I decide they are done, we walk back home.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I agree, if the dogs seem fine, go. It has been down to -20 c (-4 F) the past few mornings with a foot of snow and the pups are just fine. The only times we have paw problems is when there is salt (luckily my city uses sand) or if it is really cold. We have to walk morning and evening every single day because I only have a tiny little yard. Teague gets so antsy if we don't go, so even if we have to make it short, we still get out. We only missed 2 days last winter, which was due to extreme cold.

My boys are okay for short walks at -15 to -20 celsius with their coats. But if the wind is strong, then it feels very, very cold and they won't want to go out at all.

If your dogs are okay with their boots, I wouldn't worry about snow on the ground. Boots and jackets should keep them happy down to -20 celsius (-4 F).

Mine don't tolerate boots and I find once it gets lower than -20 or -25 celsius including windchill, they don't seem to enjoy themselves at all even with a warm jacket. We have a small yard so even when it's that cold, I try and take them for a quick walk up and down the block so they get a chance to have some sniffs and check out the scenery.... a 5 minute outing is enough. Then I do extra training or play games with them inside to help get any extra energy or willies out. A good chewing session helps too; bully sticks are my friend during extra cold spells.

-30 or below and all bets are off... They don't even seem to want to go out and I feel it isn't fair to force them to. When it's that cold they usually curl up and sleep on the couch more than normal anyways.

Not sure if it ever gets that cold in Baltimore anyways, but I think -4 F is a good yardstick to start thinking about shorter walks and indoor activities to keep them busy as a supplement.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Our recent weather is no problem at all for greyhounds. Walk as much as they want :) Regarding snow, if they'll tolerate boots, it's a good idea so you don't have to worry about salt/chemicals burning their paws. My old boy, Turbo, never had any issues with any kind of road treatment and his only problem with snowy weather was snow balls collecting in the frogs of his feet. We'd have to stop every now and again and I'd remove the snow and we'd keep on going (he had huge feet :lol) But this past winter, when we had frequent snow, Heyokha was mostly fine walking barefoot, but noticeably uncomfortable walking in one particular neighborhood (which has an HOA and probably contracts to a different company for road cleaning/treatment). After walking barefoot on treated surfaces, always wash the feet off when you get back home :)

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I don't have a yard, so my answer is NEVER. My walking schedule remains the same Mon-Fri regardless of weather. No exceptions. If it's icy out, I will vary WHERE I walk, but not if I do or not.

If I had a yard, things would be different, but you don't have to worry about your dog's health. Greyhounds are not the delicate flowers we tend to make them seem here on Greytalk. Many of them are born and raised in places like Kansas, outdoors, and while they may then move on to places like Florida, they are much hardier than we like to pretend.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We walk twice a day unless the temperature is below zero because of a wind chill. If it's not windy, we're out there. I have a backyard but Annie likes her walks and it's good for both of us. She doesn't like anything on her feet so we're careful where we walk, and I wash her feet when we get home. She too hates clumps of snow between her toes and will stop, raising one foot and getting that pitiful look on her face, until I remove them.

We go out for two hours no matter how cold and NYC winters get pretty cold. We go to the park for 1 hour in the morning and again for an 1 hour at night plus two short pee breaks one at noon and one before bedtime. We bundle up and go, never had any issues. I don't put boots on them either. Also my guys love the snow, they love running in it.

Guest Houston1219

your dog will let you know when it's too cold. felix tries to jump into any open car door- then i get the hint...it's too cold!

Yours too? :rotfl

Houston will take it a step further and try to walk right into peoples houses, businesses, etc. "oh look, Mom! We're here!" Yeah right, houstie, nice try. We have been outside for all of 2 1/2 minutes. You will be fine. He's a wonderful actor, though!

I don't have a yard, so my answer is NEVER. My walking schedule remains the same Mon-Fri regardless of weather. No exceptions. If it's icy out, I will vary WHERE I walk, but not if I do or not.

If I had a yard, things would be different, but you don't have to worry about your dog's health. Greyhounds are not the delicate flowers we tend to make them seem here on Greytalk. Many of them are born and raised in places like Kansas, outdoors, and while they may then move on to places like Florida, they are much hardier than we like to pretend.

Here too. No real yard, four walks a day in last winter's polar vortex in northern Iowa (negative double digits + wind chill). We were both bundled up and not having a lot of fun, but I certainly wasn't worried about my hound.

She grew up in northern Iowa too, and the only "inside" at her farm is sort of straw-filled igloos for the dogs.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad