Help With An Osteo Project?

Hi all,

I would like to ask for your help with something.

I am working on a final project in a graduate-level research class I am taking. Since it has been a long time since I've seen a published article about osteosarcoma in dogs and it unfortunately is still a grave concern not only for us Greyhound owners, but owners of other large breeds as well, I decided to do my project on that. The article will explain the disease, cover current treatments and talk a bit about what's currently going on in the research world.

It will be a web-based article that I will post as a blog article to submit it for a grade, and then I will try to find a permanent home for it. I have a couple publications in mind. It's possible the article may have to have some revisions or be updated somewhat if they decide to accept it.

One thing I really need are photos - copies of x-rays, photos of tumors before removal, and photos of tripods who have had successful surgery. Would any of you who have been through osteo treatment with your greys (or other breeds) be willing to submit one of these things for possible inclusion in the project?

Your pictures will of course be credited. Please send me a PM or email if you have any questions or would like to submit something, and thanks for your consideration!

Nancy

I'm sorry, I no longer have any of the x-rays. All three were managed with palliative care.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thanks Robin - palliative care is one thing I want to mention in the article if length will permit it - there are so many issues that could be included, this could actually be a series.

The whole reason for my doing this is because I was a newbie to osteo myself at one time, and if I can help anyone out there who may be unfamiliar with this ordeal to understand it a bit better when going through that horrible decision-making process, then I will consider the whole thing a success. Obviously illustration can help a lot with that.

And please, any of you who know someone who might be interested, please feel free to cross-post.

Nancy, have you posted this on the GT FB page? There are a bunch of pages, including one about greyhound health care.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Symbra's rad - the leg broke while I was helping to lift her up on the table for the radiograph. She had a barely detectable limp - I only saw it because I was looking for it after she had held her leg funny the day before.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7461/15204556954_e8ff49d868_o.jpg

The day she came home from the hospital (amp was on Friday, she came home Monday evening because they kept her until they were able to convert her cardiac arrhythmia)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6873466209_fbd99cb810_o.jpg

I have surprisingly few photos that show her as a tripod - I mean, I have tons of photos of her after the amp, but very few show the fact that she is a tripod. Here is one, though, at Dewey Beach, about 8 months post-amp (she was with us for 17 months until her right front leg broke).

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5605/15800946266_63dba41e2a_o.jpg

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Nancy, I will send you a PM with Charlie's details.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Nancy, you may want to contact Dr Shelley Lake on fb. She's doing a study on canine cancer and may have articles and/or other useful information.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Symbra's rad - the leg broke while I was helping to lift her up on the table for the radiograph. She had a barely detectable limp - I only saw it because I was looking for it after she had held her leg funny the day before.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7461/15204556954_e8ff49d868_o.jpg

The day she came home from the hospital (amp was on Friday, she came home Monday evening because they kept her until they were able to convert her cardiac arrhythmia)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6873466209_fbd99cb810_o.jpg

I have surprisingly few photos that show her as a tripod - I mean, I have tons of photos of her after the amp, but very few show the fact that she is a tripod. Here is one, though, at Dewey Beach, about 8 months post-amp (she was with us for 17 months until her right front leg broke).

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5605/15800946266_63dba41e2a_o.jpg

Deanna,

Thanks so much for these! I really appreciate your willingness to share them. I too have a lot of photos of my JC after his amputation, but yes, it can be hard to tell in a lot of them that he was a tripod.

Nancy, I will send you a PM with Charlie's details.

Thank you!

Nancy, you may want to contact Dr Shelley Lake on fb. She's doing a study on canine cancer and may have articles and/or other useful information.

She's on my FB friends list and I will contact her, thanks!

Are low-res jpgs okay? Or do you intend to print the images?

Whoops, I saw the "web-based" part now. Give me a few minutes...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Oats Alimony, diagnosed at ten years of age, February 25, 2012. Osteosarcoma, tumor in distal radius of right "wrist." The shadowing you see in the upper area of the radius are just background noise from my bad cell phone pic os the xrays against my window. The tumor is clearly visible in the wrist. We chose palliative care only for the first eight months, but later decided to proceed with amputation to buy her some time since she was still otherwise fairly healthy except for the progress of the tumor.

404862_3342839567451_1007927928_n.jpg?oh

I didn't take photos immediately after the amputation (October 16, 2012), because it was pretty horrific looking and I didn't want to preserve that memory. But this was taken just shy of one week, post-amputation:

36620_4616013075993_1515136020_n.jpg?oh=

This was about six weeks post-amputation, (December 29, 2012):

541896_4967819590936_83957042_n.jpg?oh=f

About three months post-amp (January 13, 2013):

23360_10200142602505452_423049140_n.jpg?

481199_10200142603025465_601571177_n.jpg

Alimony passed away on February 25th, 2013, one year to the day from diagnosis, due to metastatic tumors which developed in her lungs.

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I still have Neyla's digital x-rays somewhere, but it may take me a little bit of digging. If you want them, let me know. If you provide an email address (you could PM me although my mailbox may be full because I haven't renewed my membership yet :blush) I could email the full res images. Neyla was diagnosed with osteo in May of 2010. I have her original x-rays from April with were not HD (from my regular vet who told me she didn't have osteo). Then I have a set from May when we saw the ortho that are HD, where you can see the tumor/damage. I then have a few successive x-rays that were taken periodically, some that showed no tumor change and then in November I believe when the tumor started getting bad. We basically had 5 months of no/slow growth of the tumor and then it grew exponentially and this is decently documented through x-rays. I let her go on Dec 23 of 2010.

We did only palliative care - pain medication, some holistic treatment (including Artemisinin), and one IV pamidronate treatment in November. I also have gorgeous photos of her throughout, including playing so let me know if you want any to go with the x-rays.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I forgot to add this one, taken the morning of her amputation surgery. The tumor had grown so large that it was starting to break the skin with an non-healing open sore (not visible from the angle of this photo), and her paw was starting to swell with a bit of edema. We were at the point where we had to either say goodbye, or try amputation as a last-ditch effort to buy some quality time. Her lungs were clear of metastases at that time, and she was in otherwise generally very good health. We bought about four and a half more months. But I will admit the first two weeks post-amputation were pure hell.

420494_4596880437689_1851014850_n.jpg?oh

(and yes, her claws had gotten horrendously long on that foot, because we were afraid to trim them and risk manhandling the bad paw.)

Edited by ZoomDoggy

We have some of Jamey's XRays can I email them to you? His was atypical in thst his lesion was mid-bone, not at a joint. He also broke his leg while the X-Ray techs were rolling him over fro another X-ray and had an amp that same afternoon.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

We have some of Jamey's XRays can I email them to you? His was atypical in thst his lesion was mid-bone, not at a joint. He also broke his leg while the X-Ray techs were rolling him over fro another X-ray and had an amp that same afternoon.

Thank you for offering, and yes, you can email them to me: thebeaches2001-om at yahoo dot com.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to provide an update. I finished my project and it's been graded, and I got a great grade for both the project AND the course (of which the final project was a significant part), so THANK YOU!! for your contributions! Y'all rock, and the pictures were integral to making the whole thing work.

Unfortunately, due to limits on the length, I wasn't able to talk about everything I wanted to, so for right now just the first part is finished - the part I submitted for a grade. It explains what osteo is and what the current treatments are. I plan to do a second section that discusses current research and possible future treatments. I've sent in a query to Celebrating Greyhounds to see if they are interested, and what form the second part takes will probably depend on whether they want it or not, so we'll see.

If you want to see what's done so far - take a look here: http://nbeach.web.unc.edu/osteo/. I'll update as things progress. Constructive comments welcome!!

Nancy, you did a beautiful job. Very well organized and well written. Congratulations on the good grades, too! :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.