Not Eating Her Kibble

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

First a little background on Travel. She started off with a nasty rash and urine scalding 4 weeks ago. She's been on antibiotics and is on her second round of antibiotics and steriods. All during this time, her companion of 4 years, Echo was diagnosed with osteo.

Last week right around when she started the steriods, she started hiding and became more lethargic than normal. She gets a little wet food at breakfast and dinner, and free feeds kibble all day. She was eating a little wet food and barely any kibble.

Now, she won't eat kibble. She eats a little wet food and a hot dog for breakfast and dinner, since I am desperate for her to eat. She has never been a food motivated hound, but I'm worried about her.

We are regular customers at the vet these days, currently waiting on a huge round of bloodwork for Travel. In the meantime, Echo passed last Friday. I know Travel is grieving right now.

How do I get her to enjoy her kibble again? I'm a little afraid she'll get used to the hot dog and wet food and continue to not want kibble.

She's dropped from 59 to 56 lbs in 2 weeks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Guest normaandburrell

Steroids and antibiotics both can cause major stomach upset, even ulcers. Ask the vet for something to decrease acid production. So sorry for your loss. I hope you get your girl feeling better soon.

Guest Shermanator

I thought that, but she stopped eating before Echo died. Poor little thing. Blood work came back and they think it's her gallbladder. Ultrasound tomorrow.

Shermanator, this is too much to have to deal with in such a short period of time. I hope this can be easily managed and that she feels better soon. You, too.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.