How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Doggone

Hotkisses (now Autumn) born Feb. '06, female brindle.

I know she became a broodie and (I think) had 24 offspring.

Thank you in advance; I love learning info on my amazingly delightful houndie. :)

I was never able to find anything on Cody and it may be waaaay too late now... I suspect she was pretty good 'cause she didn't retire till she was 4 years old.

Rovin Gemini

Born 1992 (couldn't read her tattoos well either...)

sire: Kelso

dam: Rovin Linda

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Hotkisses (now Autumn) born Feb. '06, female brindle.

I know she became a broodie and (I think) had 24 offspring.

Thank you in advance; I love learning info on my amazingly delightful houndie. :)

Autumn ran 69 races all at Mardi Gras except for one at Gulf. She also ran more than the 69 because her first race at MG was a D race. So she ran at a track that didn't report to Trackinfo.

She had great early speed, many times out of the box first and would go box to wire. Even if she was second out of the box and second to the turn she would end up second or third. She didn't pass dogs, but many times there were no dogs to pass.

Once she made A she stayed there most of her career. Only at the end at MG did she drop in grade.

She was a good racer at a good track

I was never able to find anything on Cody and it may be waaaay too late now... I suspect she was pretty good 'cause she didn't retire till she was 4 years old.

Rovin Gemini

Born 1992 (couldn't read her tattoos well either...)

sire: Kelso

dam: Rovin Linda

That is so far back that there is nothing on her.

Hoops Jade , Thanks

Hoops Jade ran 79 races between Orange Park and Sanford Orlando with the majority at OP. OP is a good mid-level track and SO is a lower end track. At OP she had no early speed and no rush to the turn. Many of her races she would break 6th, 7th or 8th and at the turn she didn't improve much if at all. She could close a little and because of that she would finish 3rd or 4th at times, but didn't do much better than that.

After more than 30 races they moved to the longer 660 yard races. She did better by being able to break better, a couple of time broke on top, and put herself in a better position to win or be 2nd. She won a couple of C races, so she ran in B, but was overmatched in B and quickly dropped back to C.

After moving to SO she was back in the shorter 550 yd races, but because of the lesser competition she could break a little better and won a few races before being retired.

Guest Doggone

Thanks for giving me Autumn's racing history. To me, she's been an "A" from the minute she came into my life; how nice to know she's been one for much of her "before" life, too. :D

Ginger - WV's Friendly

Fred - WV's Fairdale

WV's Friendly shows two races at Tri State, she finished 8th and 7th. There are a few schooling races, but for the most part she didn't break, didn't rush and didn't close. That is a recipe for a couch and I'm sure she has a very good one.

Wv's Fairdale was also not a great breaker, but at times he would break 3rd, 4th or 5th and when he did that he had a chance to be in the money. When he broke poorly he didn't contend. He had one win in D really struggled once getting out of maiden races. He never won a maiden race, but once you are two years old you get moved to D if still a maiden.

any info on ZW Skidder Man ( Derby Lane)

ZW Skidder Man ran 117 races all at Derby Lane one of our better tracks. Like all dogs he started in sprints and had very little early speed and also didn't have a lot of late speed. That isn't a combination that leads to a long career so they tried him in routes, 660 yd races.

Like many sprinters, even bad ones, he had early speed in routes. He would get out on top and run as far as he could, as fast as he could. The problem was as far as he could was about 600 yds and he would tire and be caught.

That is how he ran for the whole time he was in routes, about 70 races. However, because he was caught late he was in the money a number of times and would occasionally win a D race. As you can imagine in C he had a much harder time getting out on top and it didn't take long for him to drop back to D.

Twice in his career he got out to big leads in C and held on to win by a nose and was in B. In B it was three bad races and back to C.

He had a nice long career as a C/D dog that gave it all he has most every time he ran.

new foster from Derby Lane. Hi Noon N Cognito

I see this dog as a great story and kudos to the kennel for not giving up. Hi Noon N Cognito ran 201 race and was in the money in 101 of them for an almost perfect 50%. While he won his maiden race in his second try coming from 4th to get the win he really struggled in D. He went 13 races in D and didn't break, didn't rush the turn and close very little never finishing better than 5th and most of the time 7th and 8th. Then all of a sudden he started breaking better and finishing 3rd or 4th. He was starting to figure out his break.

It took him another 19 races before he won a D race, but he was breaking better and finishing in the money a lot.

After a couple of C races he won C and was in B. But, he figured out his break and for the most part he was breaking well and was in the money a lot. He had a bunch of A races and won a couple of them at the height of his career, but was mostly a good solid B/C dog.

The kennel could have given up on him early on, but they didn't. They must have seen something in morning schooling that made them think he was better than what he was showing.

Badge of Silver Born 11/2001 black male

Badge of Silver ran 24 races all at Melbourne one of our lower end tracks. He had very little speed out of the box and more often than not he didn't do a good job of rushing the turn. However, in the races he did rush the turn pretty good he could finish and most times when he was 4th or better to the turn he was in the money or even better win which he did three times.

Badge of Silver ran 24 races all at Melbourne one of our lower end tracks. He had very little speed out of the box and more often than not he didn't do a good job of rushing the turn. However, in the races he did rush the turn pretty good he could finish and most times when he was 4th or better to the turn he was in the money or even better win which he did three times.

Thank you so much!!!

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

I already know my dogs' track records, but curious about your perspective. Capri (Get Ready Capi) had a nice bell curve record: worked her way up the grades all the way to AA and then started slipping down to B and C when they retired her. I'm curious how typical it is to see bell curve records?

And Ajax (JJ Mix It Up)... he's interesting in the opposite direction. Raced for two years at 8 different tracks, some of which were seasonal. He seems to have spent more time in a hauler. I read somewhere that dogs like him are kept up as something for the other dogs to compete against (sort of like training tools). Of course I know his real career is to be a Teddy Bear and he's a champion at that! :wub: How often do you see this kind of record?

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I already know my dogs' track records, but curious about your perspective. Capri (Get Ready Capi) had a nice bell curve record: worked her way up the grades all the way to AA and then started slipping down to B and C when they retired her. I'm curious how typical it is to see bell curve records?

And Ajax (JJ Mix It Up)... he's interesting in the opposite direction. Raced for two years at 8 different tracks, some of which were seasonal. He seems to have spent more time in a hauler. I read somewhere that dogs like him are kept up as something for the other dogs to compete against (sort of like training tools). Of course I know his real career is to be a Teddy Bear and he's a champion at that! :wub: How often do you see this kind of record?

Get Ready Capi ran 212 races all at Daytona. She needed to be 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win and when she was in that position she almost always finished either 1st or 2nd. She was a hard to pass and didn't give an inch.

If you go to Trackinfo you will see the rest of her career. Except for page 8 and a few races on the bottom of page 7 those races are the continuation of her career.

For any dog that runs till they are 4 or 5 that bell curve would be very typical. Early on they are full of piss and vinegar, but have no experience and you see them do things that they will never do at 24 months or older. I would say from 24 to 36 months is the peak of their career.

Then as they get over 36 months they have the experience, but father time starts to catch up to them. When you are dealing with a sport that is timed in hundredths of a second a half second is about 7 lengths.

Some dogs can run top grade up to 48 months, but they are more the exception. They are still good enough to win top grade, but being consistent in top grade gets harder.

JJ Mix It Up is a hard dog to figure out. He had some early speed, but once at the turn 3rd or 4th he might continue on and be 2nd or win and other times he would drop back. While trackinfo shows six tracks there easily could be a couple that show because not all tracks report to trackinfo. I would guess he would have stayed at Dairyland except his last race there was their last night for live racing so he moved to Melbourne.

The first track he was on was Bluffs run and he was a little over his head at one of our best tracks. At Mardi Gras, also a pretty good track, he seemed to like, but being seasonal he was moved again.

He was all over the place as far at what grade he ran in. He would be in A,B,C and sometimes drop to D before moving back up.

If they gave out frequent hauler miles he would a lot of them.

Get Ready Capi ran 212 races all at Daytona. She needed to be 1st or 2nd to the turn to have a chance to win and when she was in that position she almost always finished either 1st or 2nd. She was a hard to pass and didn't give an inch.

JJ Mix It Up is a hard dog to figure out. .. If they gave out frequent hauler miles he would a lot of them.

Thanks, it's interesting reading your perspective. Do you think Capri was near champion material? Or does it take a lot more than that to be a champ? Also if she was as good as she sounds I'm curious they didn't breed her.

And Mixitup.... lol, yes that's my boy! It's interesting that I can still see glimmers of the track performance in their personalities. Capri is tenacious and bold and opinionated. Ajax is goofy and go-along-to-get-along and not particularly interested in running. I've only once ever seen him floor it and it really surprised me. His usual thing is to frolic with various gaits like rocking horse, egg beater legs, bucking bronco, etc.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

Thanks, it's interesting reading your perspective. Do you think Capri was near champion material? Or does it take a lot more than that to be a champ? Also if she was as good as she sounds I'm curious they didn't breed her.

Since Daytona is a lower end track the answer would be no. While you can't say people never breed from a Daytona type track it would be rare. Plus Sharon Williams is one of the bigger names in the business and would have females at other tracks that would be better candidates to breed.

Ah, okay. I thought Daytona was one of the better tracks, but I don't really follow them. I'm kind of glad they didn't breed her, but only for cosmetic reasons. She's my baby girl either way. :wub:

My new 12 year old boy Mikey ( Doray's Patuti ) didn't race, nor did most of his littermates. When does a trainer decide a dog has no interest or focus in racing?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My new 12 year old boy Mikey ( Doray's Patuti ) didn't race, nor did most of his littermates. When does a trainer decide a dog has no interest or focus in racing?

If they never raced it would be when they are being finished that the farmer would tell the owner. Many dogs have the interest, but aren't fast enough and others, like you say, have no real interest.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but getting them on the training track is where you can tell for sure. I had a pup I adopted out at 16 months. The farmer told me he wasn't going to make any track and at that point you have to believe him. It saved me 330 dollars plus a haul because he was honest. If I told him to keep working him for the other two months he would have.