How Your Dog Ran At The Track

dmdsmoxie

4 hours ago, fionasmom said:

I wonder if you could comment on my girl XT PISTOL. She ran 53 races then broke her hock in October 2018. I adopted her in late December 2018. She still loves to run in my yard but does favor that leg.

XT's PISTOL ran 53 races between Mardi Gras and Sanford Orlando with 51 of those races run at SO. She didn't have much box speed or rush to the turn most often being from 4th to 8th at the turn.  So she could close a little doing most of her running from the backstretch to the wire.  While she only had two wins she was 2nd- 5 times, 3rd- 5 times and 4th- 6 times.

Dick

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, MaksimRhythm said:

Anything on my sweetheart Rhythm? Formally JW Maksim Rhythm

JW Maksim Rhythm  ran 44 races all at Derby Lane.  He was a dog that needed to in front at the 1st turn to have a chance to win as he was all about early speed. He was not a dog that ever closed so he had to get out front and try to hold on in the stretch. 

He was in the money 19 of his 44 races with 7 wins which isn't to bad as he was near the 50 percent mark of in the money.  He was a C/D dog that won some C races, so he ran in B, but never won a B race.

I also have this Greyhound-Data thread going if you want me, or others to add any information.

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

13 minutes ago, MaksimRhythm said:

Dick,

Thank you so much! I wish there were still videos out there of Rhythm's races, but I guess he is too old for those to still be out there. Or maybe they were never recorded?

Actually, you are in luck about his races as St. Pete./Derby Lane archives races going back a number of years.

This is his TrackInfo page and you need to know the date and race he ran in

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=JW+Maksim+Rhythm&x=12&y=10&by=dogname

The red numbers on the left are those numbers. In the top race you can see he ran on 2014-05-06 so May 6, 2014. The E4 is important as that is the evening card 4th race. Wednesday and Saturday they run both and afternoon and evening card.

You also need to know what box he is in. As you read across that top line the first bold number is a 6 and that is what box he is in. You may want to know how he finished in the race and the last bold number id, obviously, the time he ran, but the numbers to the left of the time 8 16 means he finished 8th 16 lengths behind the leader. The other bold numbers are where he was at different points in the race and you can see he didn't run well, but look at the next race down and you will see he finished 2nd 2 1/2 lengths behind the winner, but those 1's to the left means he had the lead at those points in the race.

Now that you know this, go here and click on replays.

http://www.derbylane.com/liveracing.aspx

There is a drop down and if you dog ran in the first 6 months of the year up to June 30th you need to click  Derby Lane (SK) and if his races were July 1st to the end of the year click Tampa at Derby Land (TK)

Now you need to change the year 2019 to 2014. To use the 2nd race down where he ran 2nd he ran that race on May 1st E8 so change the month to May and click on the 1st.

On days that there are two cards you will see they run the numbers 1 thru 15 together twice so you have to determine which is the afternoon and which is the evening card.  I would think the second set of 1 thru 15 is the evening, but I didn't check that and it will, obviously, be easy to tell if it looks really bright out or not.

I know this looks like a real lot, but once you do it once or twice you will see there isn't much to it.

To anyone that had a dog at St.Pete./Derby Lane your dog will be there, too.

Dick

23 hours ago, dmdsmoxie said:

Actually, you are in luck about his races as St. Pete./Derby Lane archives races going back a number of years.

This is his TrackInfo page and you need to know the date and race he ran in

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=JW+Maksim+Rhythm&x=12&y=10&by=dogname

The red numbers on the left are those numbers. In the top race you can see he ran on 2014-05-06 so May 6, 2014. The E4 is important as that is the evening card 4th race. Wednesday and Saturday they run both and afternoon and evening card.

You also need to know what box he is in. As you read across that top line the first bold number is a 6 and that is what box he is in. You may want to know how he finished in the race and the last bold number id, obviously, the time he ran, but the numbers to the left of the time 8 16 means he finished 8th 16 lengths behind the leader. The other bold numbers are where he was at different points in the race and you can see he didn't run well, but look at the next race down and you will see he finished 2nd 2 1/2 lengths behind the winner, but those 1's to the left means he had the lead at those points in the race.

Now that you know this, go here and click on replays.

http://www.derbylane.com/liveracing.aspx

There is a drop down and if you dog ran in the first 6 months of the year up to June 30th you need to click  Derby Lane (SK) and if his races were July 1st to the end of the year click Tampa at Derby Land (TK)

Now you need to change the year 2019 to 2014. To use the 2nd race down where he ran 2nd he ran that race on May 1st E8 so change the month to May and click on the 1st.

On days that there are two cards you will see they run the numbers 1 thru 15 together twice so you have to determine which is the afternoon and which is the evening card.  I would think the second set of 1 thru 15 is the evening, but I didn't check that and it will, obviously, be easy to tell if it looks really bright out or not.

I know this looks like a real lot, but once you do it once or twice you will see there isn't much to it.

To anyone that had a dog at St.Pete./Derby Lane your dog will be there, too.

Dick

Dick, 

Thank you so much!! I loved being able to watch him run. 

You are amazing! :)

9 minutes ago, Daks said:

Any info on our boy- Kentucky Bronco ? He's a gentle giant. 

Kentucky Bronco ran 58 races all at Jacksonville. He was an erratic breaker so you never knew what to expect from him.  If he hit his break, even decent, he was usually in the money, but for as many times as he broke decent he also broke 6th, 7th and 8th. Dogs like this have the early speed, but never learn to time their break so it was a crap shoot whether he would come out or not.

If he got out he would run hard and could pass a dog at times or be passed by a closer, but in general he could hold his position.

Then in his 58th he did something that he never did before, he interfered. We call them fighters, but in reality these dogs are trying to play with another dog. You can't do that in a race as the dog is suppose to be looking straight ahead at the lure.  They took him off the track and schooled him three times.  The first two times he was fine, but he interfered again in the third schooling race and he was retired.

His race replays are on TrackInfo and I explained in a previous post how to tell the box he was in and where he finished.

Dick

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=Kentucky+Bronco&x=2&y=7&by=dogname

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I would love if you could tell me about my first racer...his race name was Rooftop Kahn, male, born 2/1/2006, ears were 26H and 36341. He just passed away in July. I saw some of his race stats years ago, but I couldn't find any video footage of his races...maybe there are none going back that far. Where did he race and how did he do? I would love to honor his memory by submitting a picture and bereavement message on greyhound-data.com, but whenever I try to create an account, it just redirects me to the main page.

I am adopting another racer, just recently brought up from Florida...race name FGF Baby Blue, female, born 12/18/2015, ears are 125B and 67845. Her great grandfather was Kahn's father (Gable Dodge).

If it's not too much trouble, I also would love to know any info you can find on WW Selena Shot, female, born 1/20/2015, ears 15D and 65740.

As an aside, do you know why so many greyhound litters have those prefixes like rooftop, fgf and ww? Is that an owner or trainer preference? I've always wondered that.

Thank you so much for offering this service. It means so much to know the history of these greyhounds.

All the best to you.

14 hours ago, greytblessings said:

Hello!

I would love if you could tell me about my first racer...his race name was Rooftop Kahn, male, born 2/1/2006, ears were 26H and 36341. He just passed away in July. I saw some of his race stats years ago, but I couldn't find any video footage of his races...maybe there are none going back that far. Where did he race and how did he do? I would love to honor his memory by submitting a picture and bereavement message on greyhound-data.com, but whenever I try to create an account, it just redirects me to the main page.

I am adopting another racer, just recently brought up from Florida...race name FGF Baby Blue, female, born 12/18/2015, ears are 125B and 67845. Her great grandfather was Kahn's father (Gable Dodge).

If it's not too much trouble, I also would love to know any info you can find on WW Selena Shot, female, born 1/20/2015, ears 15D and 65740.

As an aside, do you know why so many greyhound litters have those prefixes like rooftop, fgf and ww? Is that an owner or trainer preference? I've always wondered that.

Thank you so much for offering this service. It means so much to know the history of these greyhounds.

All the best to you.

Rooftop Kahn ran 104 races between Lincoln, Raynham, Mardi Gras and Sarasota with the majority of those races at Raynham and Lincoln both very good tracks. He had good early speed and needed it becap at the turn to have a chance to win.  He won 11 races so most of the time when he got to the top he won or got picked up in the stretch and was second.

He was a good B/C dog.

FGF Baby Blue ran 51 races between  Sarasota, Pensacola and Ebro.  She had very little early speed often being 6th, 7th or 8th out of the box and not being much better at the turn maybe getting to 4th.  If she was going to run it would be from going down the backstretch to the finish line.

Her record was 4-8-6-14 so while she only had 4 wins she was 4th fourteen times so she could close a little to get in the money, but not enough to win most times.

WW Selena Shot ran 94 races all at Daytona. She had decent early speed, but if she was going to run it would be from the backstretch to the wire. If she was 4th as they entered the stretch she had a chance to win.  She was in the money 49 of her 94 races with 15 wins.

She was a nice A/B dog.

The Rooftop dogs were all bred and owned by James Potter, though he sold some at the NGA auction every six months. In 2003 Mr. Potter sold Rooftop Gizmo for a record, at the time, $70,000.

I'm not sure about the FGF  prefix I'm not sure about, but Kevin Fulton is the owner of these dogs so I'm sure one of the F's is his initial.  The WW prefix is an iconic prefix. It stands for Wayne Ward who was one of the big names in the industry.  Wayne died a few years ago and his daughter Julia took over the operation.  Julia is the president of the NGA.

There are just over 100 FGF dogs.

There are just under 800 Rooftop dogs.

There are almost 2500 WW's dogs and there could be another 1000 with just WW.

FYI: Gable Dodge wasn't just a great racer, he was also a great sire with 11,241 offspring.

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

So I'm gathering that FGF Baby Blue was not a good racer? :) Perhaps destined to be a beloved companion instead of a fearsome competitor? Was she an E dog? Is it a miracle that she made it out or is that common for that poor of a racer?? From the stats I saw on TrackInfo, she was not a dog to put money on...

Do you know if there are any videos of Kahn? Or is that too far back for the replays?

Thank you so much for all of this information. You are a spectacular resource and a very kind individual to offer this service!

Best,

Courtney

1 hour ago, greytblessings said:

So I'm gathering that FGF Baby Blue was not a good racer? :) Perhaps destined to be a beloved companion instead of a fearsome competitor? Was she an E dog? Is it a miracle that she made it out or is that common for that poor of a racer?? From the stats I saw on TrackInfo, she was not a dog to put money on...

Do you know if there are any videos of Kahn? Or is that too far back for the replays?

Thank you so much for all of this information. You are a spectacular resource and a very kind individual to offer this service!

Best,

Courtney

Though she did run in E I would call her a D dog.  She ran at lower end tracks because those were the tracks she was capable of running at. If they sent her to a better track with better racers she probably would have not been competitive and graded off.  At that point they either would have retired her or sent her to the tracks she ran at.

Greyhounds have the highest adoption rate of any dog so you would be hard pressed to find greyhounds that aren't either adopted or sent back to the farm for breeding.

No video of Kahn that I know of. There is video of FGF Baby Blue. If you go here

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=FGF+Baby+Blue&x=4&y=2&by=dogname

and look at the bold numbers. The top race the first bold number is a 1 so that is the box she in. The last bold number is her time, but you want to look at the numbers before the time and in this case it's 3 7.  That means she finished 3rd and was 7 lengths behind the winner.  There are 5 pages of races as you can see by the numbers above the lines.

Same with WW Selena Shot.

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=ww+selena+shot&x=0&y=0&by=dogname

Dick

• 1 month later...

Hi Dick, what can you tell me about my new girl, BGR Fuzzy Navel? She is a sweetheart, but needs to leave the squirrels alone! Thanks!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

32 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

Hi Dick, what can you tell me about my new girl, BGR Fuzzy Navel? She is a sweetheart, but needs to leave the squirrels alone! Thanks!

BGR Fuzzy Navel  ran 144 races between Dubuque, Naples and Jax. She ran about 75 percent of her races in sprints and the rest in routes.  While she never won more than a C race she was very consistent being in the money over 50 percent of the time.  While I said she never won a race higher than C that isn't exactly true because near the end of her career there was a stake race at Jax and she won one of the qualifying rounds going box to wire.  I would think she was in the stake races as a filler dog and surprised everyone by winning one of the qualifying races.

In her route races she had a lot of early speed and would have to hold on to win and she did this a few times.  In her sprint races she had some early speed, but would rely on a late kick to win or be second.  Because she has a little early early speed in sprints if she made it around the turn without getting in trouble and was 5th or 6th she had a good chance of being in the money.

My guess is the squirrels need to be smart enough to be near your fence or a tree if they are to live long. LOL

Dick

Thanks Dick! We live in a condo, so walks are quite interesting, to say the least! She leaves my cats alone, but outside, of course, is a different story.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

30 minutes ago, stevevt said:

Hi Dick, I just got Ww Machu Pichu a couple days ago and would love a style/performance summary.

Thanks!

-Steve

Steve,

WW Machu Pichu ran 73 races between Dubuque, Wheeling and Southland. He only ran one M race at Dubuque and that was his very first race.  Dubuque is a seasonal track that usually closes in October so I think that is why he one had one race there. At Wheeling he ran 10 M races before he finally won.  His racing style, of breaking slow and having a good finish isn't the style for Wheeling where you really need to be near the front at the turn to have a chance to win. Plus, Wheeling is our second best track so a lot of good dogs there.

The decision was made to move him to Southland our best track. However, Southland had the chance to be a better fit for his style of racing as their sprint distance is 583 yards as opposed to Wheeling's that is 548 yards.

At Southland he bounced back and forth between the sprint distance and their 660 yard 3/8ths course. He never excelled at either distance, but his closing ability when he fired was outstanding going from near the back of the pack to winning in the stretch.  His problem was he didn't fire that often, but was a nice C/D dog.

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

2 minutes ago, dmdsmoxie said:

Steve,

WW Machu Pichu ran 73 races between Dubuque, Wheeling and Southland. He only ran one M race at Dubuque and that was his very first race.  Dubuque is a seasonal track that usually closes in October so I think that is why he one had one race there. At Wheeling he ran 10 M races before he finally won.  His racing style, of breaking slow and having a good finish isn't the style for Wheeling where you really need to be near the front at the turn to have a chance to win. Plus, Wheeling is our second best track so a lot of good dogs there.

The decision was made to move him to Southland our best track. However, Southland had the chance to be a better fit for his style of racing as their sprint distance is 583 yards as opposed to Wheeling's that is 548 yards.

At Southland he bounced back and forth between the sprint distance and their 660 yard 3/8ths course. He never excelled at either distance, but his closing ability when he fired was outstanding going from near the back of the pack to winning in the stretch.  His problem was he didn't fire that often and was a nice C/D dog.

Dick

Thanks for this info! Quick turnaround, too! :)

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, DaveS said:

Dick, here's another request for track records.  The dog's racing name was Killer Huxley.  He's about five years old and we brought him home just this afternoon.  Thanks in advance, Dave.

Killer Huxley ran 156 races between Dubuque, Derby Lane,  Mardi Gras,  Naples and Tri-State. He ran about half his races in sprints and half in routes and  he was a better router than sprinter. He had no real early speed though there are some races where he got out of the box decent, but no one would consider him early speed. One of the reasons he was a better router was because he could close and the extra length of the routes he liked.

He was really a pretty nice racer being in the money 78 of his 156 starts. He would be considered a nice A/B dog.

Dick

• 2 months later...