How Long To Adjust To A New Food?

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Because this whole form seems to bee about poop at the moment, I might as well chime in (once again)

Quote from a different post:

"Im on my 3rd food try now with Fusion.

The one he was eating at the kennel he did NOT like, and idk if it was nerves and the food, but his poo's were like water. We fasted him for 3 days with just rice and hamburger. He was fine, then we started IAMS green bag, and poops were consistently very soft in the AM then like mush the rest of the day...we added chicken and rice to that once and it gave him explosive poo again. Vet suggested a chicken allergy.

So we switched him to Natural Balance L.I.D Venison + Sweet Potato. Things firmed up a lot in the AM but by the end of the day, they were usually mush again. Vet said to try something less rich, like Salmon and to de-worm again just in case.

We just finished the de-wormer, and have started slowly switching him to TOTW Pacific Stream. Havent seen much of a difference yet as the de-wormer did give him some very wet poo's. Maybe de-worming and switching food at the same time wasnt a good idea. But Its grain free, chicken free, and the main ingredient is Salmon, which I hear is very easy on the skin and bellies. So we're going to give it some time and see how he does on that.

Yogurt doesnt help, pumpkin only makes his poo orange but does help his gas."

So at the moment, its been a little over a week TOTW, and his poo's are still pretty soft in the AM, and mush at night... but seem's to be getting a tiny better. But his gas is AWFULLLL, its never been this bad.

He is on FortiaFlora, and if I split it up day and night it seems to help a little bit, but omg lol.

How long should I keep him on TOTW, to adjust to the Salmon and Grain-Free? My vet always say's at least 2 weeks unless it is really upsetting their tummy, but he said adjusting to grain free can take a bit longer. I've also heard this food is really great for the sensitive system dogs, and my fiance's parents use it for their Dobies and they love it. So I do want to give this one as much time as possible, but I dont want him to feel sick or uncomfortable for too long.

The struggle.

i am having issues with Olga too. the members here think that food too high in protein, grain free stuff is unnecessary and she should do well on Iams green probiotic green bag or even purina one which is what my whippets grew up on.

so i won't be buying anymore Eartborne and will be picking up a bag of Iams today and see what happens.

yeah, its all about the poop, and a nice firm one is a thing of beauty :) lol

Guest Lygracilux

i am having issues with Olga too. the members here think that food too high in protein, grain free stuff is unnecessary and she should do well on Iams green probiotic green bag or even purina one which is what my whippets grew up on.

so i won't be buying anymore Eartborne and will be picking up a bag of Iams today and see what happens.

yeah, its all about the poop, and a nice firm one is a thing of beauty :) lol

Ugh I wish he didnt have a chicken allergy, because IAMS green bag seems to have such a positive effect on greys w/o allergies. Plus its very cost effective.

He gets itchy, flaky skin so the vet said a grain free might be the way to go.

The protein content on TOTW is only about 5%-6% more than your "average" food. That has a lot to do with the salmon, which is good for sensitive tummies, and not as rich as the venison he was on.

Crossing fingers that this helps him. I feel bad for his poor butt.

Guest Lygracilux

GUYS.....

After a week adjusting to TOTW Pacific Stream, and adding in some FortiFlora.

We have had solid, bouncy, nice poo's!!!! After two months of on and off pudding poo's-I am relieved.

Oh my gosh, it does NOT take me much to be the happiest person in the world

Edited by Lygracilux

GUYS.....

After a week adjusting to TOTW Pacific Stream, and adding in some FortiFlora.

We have had solid, bouncy, nice poo's!!!! After two months of on and off pudding poo's-I am relieved.

Oh my gosh, it does NOT take me much to be the happiest person in the world

Yeah! Good poos are wonderful things. .....(for crazy Greyhound people that we are.. :flip ).

Edited by Feisty49