Diabetes? I Am Completely Freaked Out.

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Travel has not been doing well. She has a nasty rash between her hind legs we have been fighting for 3 weeks. She's now on her 2nd round of antibiotics, steroids, a topical solution and medicated powder. Right now, it looks like its clearing up! Yea! Vet thinks its urine scadling.

Hear's the problem: she's been lethargic and the steroids, drinking more and not really eating. She holds her unrine until the last possible second, runs outside and pees for at least 5 minutes. She's had 2 instances where she's peed in the house in the past day. Vet mentioned diabetes in passing, and now I'm in a tailspin. We have a follow up appointment Monday, but I am going to try to get in today to get blood work done.

On another note, her companion of 4 years, Echo had neen battling osteo for the past 4 weeks and passed away last night. I can't tell if her behavior is from Echo, or she is sick, or both.

I'm on the ledge, completely freaked out right now.

Anyone else with a diabetic pup? Travel is only 6.

Thanks!

Kelly

Noelle has been a diabetic since she was 3 months old. At first she would drink a lot of water & there pee it out (very clear pee just like water) I admit it took a few month the get her dose correct but then it isn't so terrible. You need to change to a totally grain free diet & change to 3 meals a day to help keep her insulin levels even. I give Noelle shots in the shoulder area, rotating sides & now she just looks at me like oh ok. Noelle is 8 years old & if you saw her you would never guess she has any problems. Good luck, this is not the most terrible thing she could have but it does take getting used to. Hugs to both of you.

My guess is she's experiencing all the side effects from the corticosteroids. Polyuria/polydipsia (excessive urinating and drinking), lethargy, panting and a bunch more side effects are common while taking corticosteroids. Usually, symptoms of diabetes are weight loss, pu/pd and increased appetite. Blood work and a urinalysis should be run.

Regarding the urine scolding--she may be experiencing some spay incontintence that can be controlled with medication.

Sorry to hear of Echo's passing <3

My guess is she's experiencing all the side effects from the corticosteroids. Polyuria/polydipsia (excessive urinating and drinking), lethargy, panting and a bunch more side effects are common while taking corticosteroids. Usually, symptoms of diabetes are weight loss, pu/pd and increased appetite. Blood work and a urinalysis should be run.

Regarding the urine scolding--she may be experiencing some spay incontintence that can be controlled with medication.

Good point, and I too am very sorry to hear about Echo. I should have added that to my post, I'm sorry.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

:grouphug I'm so sorry to hear about Echo. Try not to panic about Travel. Even if it is diabetes, it is manageable.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:grouphug I'm so sorry to hear about Echo. Try not to panic about Travel. Even if it is diabetes, it is manageable.

This. I am so sorry about Echo. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

steroids do increase their thirst/drinking like mad. it seems as if these greyhounds really do react to ALL/MOST meds administered. a simple dip stick test in urine should start to unravel the mystery. hold tight- once meds are discontinued a more accurate picture will be seen.

Poodle was diabetic the last 4 years of his life. Like Felicity said, after you get the dose straight it really is no big deal. Poodle got a piece of chicken with his shots and was all about them. Never heard about grain free. I told the vet that I wasn't feeding w/d fro the get go. Poodlum also had pancreatitis and did very well on Natural Balance Ultra Light.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Sorry about Echo. If Travel has diabetes it isn't difficult to manage. Tipper was diagnosed at 7 years old. We put her on 3 meals a day although lunch was more of a snack then a full meal. The insulin shots are easy. When I called her for her shot she ran into the kitchen for it and always got a treat after her shot. The treat made it a positive experience and made the shot easy to give to her. Now I do the same thing with Dee's eye drops and she gets 6 a day for her dry eye. We also did the same thing for Susie's sub-q fluid treatments which she got for her kidney disease.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Guest Shermanator

Travel has lost 3 lbs in a week. She went from 59 to 56 lbs, so she's small to begin with. She's not eating like she should on the steroids. She was never a big eater, but the vet is concerned with weight loss while on steroids. We're running a lot of bloodwork, and should have some results Tuesday or Wednesday. The vet does not think the weight loss is due to her grieving over the loss of Echo, since the loss of appetite and lethargy started a week before Echo died. I am so worried over little Travel.

Weight lose is very common with our ghs while on corticosteroids!!!! It's muscle wasting.!!! Often while they will drink more their appetites do not increase. Pred can be tough on the tummy and it's commonly prescribed with tummy protectants like carafate and gastric acid reducers--Pepcid, Prilosec. Get her off the steroids (seemed a bit excessive for urine scald IMO anyway).

Much sympathy coming your way. Don't panic if it turns out to be diabetes......We had 'darla the diabetic dog' for years. After getting her regulated she did pretty darn well. We found the closer to an exact schedule we could keep her on the better she did.

Weight lose is very common with our ghs while on corticosteroids!!!! It's muscle wasting.!!! Often while they will drink more their appetites do not increase. Pred can be tough on the tummy and it's commonly prescribed with tummy protectants like carafate and gastric acid reducers--Pepcid, Prilosec. Get her off the steroids (seemed a bit excessive for urine scald IMO anyway).

:nod:nod :nod :nod

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire