One Of Our Boys Is Not Happy With The New Pups - Any Advice?

Guest Jana

We've had out two 3 yo boys since early June and just last week added a whippet puppy, 4 months old, and her mom, 17 months old. Every one was wagging tails and sniffing on introduction but our insecure boy quickly started to act scared of the new girls. The first few days he ran from them in the yard but now plays well with them outside. Inside is another story. He doesn't want to be around them and growls at them to leave him alone, Which I think is ok to say "hey, stay out of my space" and until today it was very warning-like - nothing concerning (except the fact that he still doesn't like them).

Just now the puppy laid down beside him on the sofa and I'm pretty sure she wasn't even touching him. He snarled at her - teeth bared, growling. She moved but I'm concerned his dislike of them may be escalating.

It breaks my heart to see him so sad - he's definitely been sulking since we brought these guys home. He avoids them and spends more time in his crate than he did before.

We had a whippet and greyhound together previously with zero problems. We had the male whippet first and added the female greyhound six months later.

Any suggestions to make our boy, Wally, happier in this situation or hep him accept the whippets? Is it too early to expect them to get along?

Don't let the puppies bother him at all. They've probably harassed him so much that he wants nothing to do with them because that's what puppies do. Give him a really cozy crate to use to get away from them. When they come near him and behave appropriately, reward him.

Summit moped for a month when I brought Kili home as an 8 week old puppy. I think it's not abnormal for them to take time to warm up to a new addition, especially if there's a large age disparity. That said, I agree, puppies need to be closely supervised. Kili was never allowed to bother Summit more than he could handle. I let him warn her so she could learn her doggy communication, but if she didn't get the message and wanted to keep harassing him I would remove her. He knew that I would deal with things, so he didn't have to.

If your boy doesn't want to share his space with them yet I think that's okay. Supervise and make sure that they respect his space. Make sure he can always get away from them if he wants a quiet, safe place to be by himself. Make sure to put them away and give him his own special alone time with you where your attention is completely on him.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Clawsandpaws

I 100% agree with Krissy and sambuca. Dudley and I moved in with two 6 month puppies (border collie and a pit mix) dudley was very unhappy with the active border collie, and kind of tolerated the pit. Pretty much kept them separated when unsupervised, gave both sets attention separately, and when they are out together, I encourage dudley when he "corrects" them and discourage the puppies from being overly rambunctious. After a few months, we have relative peace, dudley does NOT want to share space laying down with the pups, but the pups are much more respectful. I do train them all together sometimes, make them sit, bark, shake, all three at a time, it seems to help them Be closer without the stresses.

Thanks everyone. I've been letting them warn the girls and will remove if they don't get it but I don't think I've been giving the boys enough attention alone - will definitely fix that immediately.

We're also considering moving the whippet crates to another room. They're all in our bedroom right now and the boys, especially Wally, can't handle it when the puppy cries. This would ensure his crate is always a quiet escape.

On a positive note, they all played together in the house tonight for the first time and are currently fast asleep. In their separate corners. :)

Gosh, that's sort of sad that a 17 month old is already the mother to a 4 month old. Hoping it was an "oops" litter and not that someone would breed a dog that young on purpose.

Where are the pictures!!?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanks! I think the boys are warming up to them - lots more playing in the house (be careful what you wish for, right?). The big issue is with their down time. The boys don't want them anywhere near so I'm continuing to move the girls if they get too close. Which makes for some interesting sofa time since they ALL want to be next to me these days. I end up with two whippets on me and a greyhound on either side. I can't wait for my husband to get back in town. ;)