The Poop!

Guest jthiel

hi, i am new here and i need the input from all you wonderful people.

i have had my "new" grey Olga, 9yrs old, 3 months now and just have this tiny little problem,

sorry for grossness........but
do they all poop so much?? i am used to my whippets poop which is nice and firm and so easy to pick up, like a tootsie roll. then there is Olga, she poops 3 or 4 times to their one, and only the 1st one is pickupable. the rest are like trying to scoop up pudding with a rake. its nasty and messy and it ends up on their feet which ends up on my carpet
she eats her Earthborne Natural Holistic as always. i tried to bulk up her poo with metamucil, it helped a little in that i could flip her pudding piles onto the scoop easier. but i also felt it was making MORE poo so i stopped.
i am out of ideas here,
any input would be much appreciated.

Guest Johberry

Hello and welcome! I'm a fairly "new" greyhound owner as well but will share what has helped our boy.

We've had luck with Olewo carrots for firming up poop. Grain-free and potato-free kibble has helped immensely as well. Our boy would poop at least twice in one walk with the second one much softer/less formed. Since feeding him a raw meal for dinner (instead of kibble which he has for breakfast), his poop has not only improved in form (smaller and harder) but goes less frequently (poops only once at a time). Also, maybe try a probiotic; it's definitely helped our hound. We've used one in powdered form and now use raw goat's milk. Hope that helps some. There are far more experienced members on this board who I'm sure will give you even better suggestions. Best. :)

hi johberry,

the Earthborne is grain free too so i was surprised to see such mush come out the other end :(

my whippets ate Purina One all their lives and they are fine. so here she is eating the high priced stuff and having issues.

i have ordered Chicken Soup dog food to try, the ingred sound pretty good.

i have gone back to adding the psillium fiber to her food so i can at least pick it up,

but it did make for more piles :(

There is no reason your greyhound needs a high dollar food if she does okay on something like Purina One or IAMS green bag. Many hounds do not handle the richer foods well, and end up with exactly the output you are describing. If you mist add a bunch of stuff, the food is not the right food. A few add-ins may be fine if you are using the add-in for a specific reason, but when you start adding things to firm up poop, you won;t know what is working and what isn't in the hound's diet.

We've been through many foods over the years and the richer foods always have the same problem - pudding poop after a while. We have successfully used a higihly digestible food for several years now with no issues. Precise Foundation, and Precise Senior Kibble (essentailly the same but one has less calories and fat)

It will take some experimenting, but since you are familiar with the Purina food, give it a try. You may find that it works well. Many people here use it with no issues. Remember - the best food for your dog is the one that actually works for your dog. Not the one with the guilt-trip on the label.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest shanesmom

When I first adopted my greyhound Ace I had lots of poop issues. Too soft, too often and horrible gas depending on which high end food I tried. Grain free was the worst. I couldn't believe the amount that came out. It wasn't digesting at all. Finally on someone's advice I tried the Iams in the green bag. Instant change. It's been over 2 1/2 years he's been on it and it's made a world of difference. No gas. Solid easy to pick up smaller poop and only pooping twice a day unless we are someplace new and exciting then he may have an extra nervous poop.

Guest Doggone

I also wound up putting Autumn on IAMS green bag after reading the many recommendations on here re: pudding poop. She too had been on a high-end kibble when I got her, and not only was the "end product" an issue, but her gas was horrendous.

She's been on the IAMS for almost two years and no gas nor major poop issues. :)

i'm not one to buy high end stuff, its all new to me, Purina One always was good for my whippets.

but when i got Olga a couple months ago, she would not eat, ANYTHING. i offered her some hig end stuff because Earthborn

was not available here. she refused everything so i ordered some by mail and she finally ate.

could have been the stress of the move too. at 9yrs old i figured she wanted what she was used to.

she eats just about anything now. so she may be more open to trying new stuff.

i may cancel the order for the chicken soup and try the Iams.

thanks for all your input :)

Guest Winnie2014

I'm having similar issues with the food that the rescue was feeding my Winnie. She always poops twice on her walks and the second is just nasty pudding consistency. She's currently eating Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato.

Would it be beneficial for me to switch my pup to the Iams green bag as well? Pumpkin on day 2 to help firm up poop had the opposite effect and she almost pooped all over my apartment. Poor pup.

How long should I take to switch, 1 week? 2? Because she seems so uninterested in her food in the morning, I want to get her on a food that she doesn't have to eat 2 cups morning and night.

Edited by Winnie2014

Guest FosterMom2014

New here too, so be easy on me. I have two, now eating their poo if I don't get it up in time. What's up with that? On two different foods and one has the carrot supplements. I am dumb founded.

New here too, so be easy on me. I have two, now eating their poo if I don't get it up in time. What's up with that? On two different foods and one has the carrot supplements. I am dumb founded.

Unfortunately, there is no easy, single answer to your problem. With some animals it may be a digestive problem (not getting what they need the first time through because it travels through too fast or there is an enzyme that isn't produced in high enough amounts to get the nutrients out fast enough), while others may have learned it at some point and just continue after the triggering issue has been resolved, while others just do it because it either tastes good (the reason many go after cat poop-there is still good nutrient in there and apparently to dogs it smells delicious), or they have a form of pica (eating non-food things) focused on poop. There have been many threads on here, someone even had a dog that seemed to think (her??) housemate was an automatic food dispensor and would follow and get it immediately. The original post was quite disgustingly hilarious...I believe "catching it before it hit the ground" was mentioned.

There are products out there that are supposed to make the poop taste bad, I think they are either pineapple or papaya extract, which you would need to feed to both to try and give it at least a week to see if it has had any results. And then there is the purely mechanical preventive approach: muzzle with a stool guard every time they are anywhere there might be poop and picking up immediately every time. Some people do both, forever. Sometimes just breaking the habit with enzyme and prevention for an extended period of time (months) may allow you to see if they have unlearned it and you can stop muzzling or enzymes. But always you would need to watch that theynot start again (an old habit/behavior is very easy to pick up again!).

Good luck!

Edited because I evidently cannot close my parenthetical statements!

Edited by Fruitycake

Guest FosterMom2014

Thanks Fruitycake for your insight. I will try the extracts before I do the muzzle, they hate their muzzles, run it along the ground/fence/whatever they can get it on to come off. lol.

I searched for poop issues, but guess I am not doing it right, couldn't find anything. How would I find those posts you mentioned?

Still new....