Use Of Paws

This is just out of interest as someone told me that adult dogs use their paws less than puppies for holding things etc.

Six months ago we got an ex-racer - Charlie - he's quite dexterous and uses his paws to hold chews, drag toys and get attention by waving or hitting us with his paws if we're within reach. Sometimes he even likes us to hold his paws.

A couple of weeks ago we got another ex-racer - Daisy - she's much shier but we've also noticed she doesn't use her paws at all, if there's a chew on the floor she'll pull it towards her with her mouth and look a bit clumsy as she doesn't control it like Charlie does.

I can't even remember if Charlie used his paws when we first got him or if it's something he developed but just wonder what other people's experiences and thoughts on this matter were?

all the best,

Matt, Chaz and Miss D x

Some do and some don't! :D I wouldn't be surprised if Daisy develops into using her paws, as she learns that she can and uses them more. And also sees Charlie using his - they do learn by watching.

Mine all use their paws a LOT! So much so, that I often wonder if there is some Boxer mixed in somewhere back in the Greyhound line.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sweep sounds like Charlie. She uses her paws to hold bigger treats, to pull her Kong back toward her if it rolls away while she's working on it, to grip stuffies, and--most often--to demand more petting. I've also taught her to "shake" though that's a pretty useless command! :lol

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Wasserbuffel

My Jayne is like yours. Very apt to use her paw. She's actually even developed her own hand (paw?) sign to signal that she wants us to continue petting her by swiping her paw across her face. It wasn't a behavior we trained, more that she trained us to respond to it.

Guest chickenpotpie

Like Jayne, Lucky uses her paws a lot not only using them like hands but to grab her momma by the pantleg when she's being ignored...the stinker :hehe I've taught her how to "hide" by putting her paws over her eyes. OP I think your girl will come into her own, and having a brother to show her how its done certainly helps.

I have noticed that Lila does not used her paws as much as other dogs. She uses them to hold a chew and she’s got the paw-whap or wave for more petting down to a fine art, but that’s about all. She does not seem to know that she can use her paws to pull something closer to her or to move an object.

She does however, like to “hold hands” and will reach out and put a paw on me if I’m nearby. :beatheart

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Jake does a lot of these things, and he also uses his paw to knock my phone or tablet out of my hand if I stop petting him. Little brat! I can't decide if he knows I'm paying more attention to the device or if he is just hitting me and it contacts my hand. Either way, it is annoying!

Edited by NeedlenoseJake

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

I've had Barbie for 5 years with a mastiff x who uses his paws very well. she has picked up a bit from him but she still rarely holds on to chewies with her paws..... looks awkward but she manages to chew them fine ;)

My dogs use their paws, but not always elegantly since they don't have dewclaws.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest OhCatastrophe

Cleo was a bit clumsy at first too.. I tried helping her by showing her how to and positioning her paws... it actually seemed to work haha

Now she uses them a lot!

Ill throw her stuffies in the air and she'll take them down with both her paws hahaha

Guest shanesmom

My bridge angel Elton used his paws all the time. Ace does not. I guess they're all different?

Here is Elton holding onto a treat. I gave one to Ace and he only used his mouth even flipping it in the air to get a better grip but only with his mouth and teeth.

DSC00885.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When we first brought Marvin home, he didn't know how to use his paws at all. He really wanted to try out his chew toys and get everything out of his kong, but he just couldn't figure out how to use his paws to hold and position his prize (we were laughing and taking pictures instead of helping...). Now, he's a pro and it's more laziness than a lack of skill for him to not use his paws while tackling a bone or his antler. He's always been a dog to reach out and put his paw over my foot or ankle if I'm standing near him while he's stretched out on the floor. I'm sure Daisy will learn everything she needs to know from Charlie!

Paige, Benny and Hermon all use their paws, thoiugh Paige most of all. She uses them to drag toys and food closer, hold them as she chews, she grabs our hands with her paws when we're patting or playing with her to pull them closer, bangs on me when I'm in bed and she wants to wake me up. I've also seen her use her paw to tile half a clam shell pool towards her to make the water caught in the lip run towards her so she can have a drink without having to move (that was also a demonstration of quite frightening problem solving intelligence). When hunting she uses them for digging, obviously, but also to remove sticks and place them to one side.