Greek Yogurt?

Guest karilynn

Guest karilynn

I ran out of plain non-fat yogurt to mix in my boy's food. Can I use plain greek yogurt? It's all I have on hand at the moment. It's almost dinner time and I'd rather not run to the store this evening.

Guest karilynn

Yep, Sweep always gets plain or honey Greek yogurt. Just make sure it doesn't contain xylitol.

Great to know, thank you! I checked the ingredients, there are only like 3 things in it... it's the FAGE brand from Greece, the good stuff! I bought it for baking and haven't used it yet.

Great to know, thank you! I checked the ingredients, there are only like 3 things in it... it's the FAGE brand from Greece, the good stuff! I bought it for baking and haven't used it yet.

That's the brand we like too--so you should be good. :)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Yep, Sweep always gets plain or honey Greek yogurt. Just make sure it doesn't contain xylitol.

What is bad about xylitol? Is it common in yogurts? Reason I ask is that I usually let my dog lick out the bottom of the yogurt container, never thought to check for any "bad" ingredients. Usually go with Dannon Light, but I sometimes go with a greek yogurt (don't recall which).

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

What is bad about xylitol? Is it common in yogurts? Reason I ask is that I usually let my dog lick out the bottom of the yogurt container, never thought to check for any "bad" ingredients. Usually go with Dannon Light, but I sometimes go with a greek yogurt (don't recall which).

It's toxic to dogs. It's mainly used in sugar-free gum and candy, so I wouldn't expect to see it in yogurt but wanted to mention for safety's sake. As far as other artificial sweeteners go, here's what the ASPCA says. I tend to be super-cautious and avoid artificial sweeteners altogether, but assuming Dannon uses aspartame or sucralose and given the quantity you're describing, I wouldn't sweat it.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greygirls2

I bought a yogurt maker so I make my own regular and greek yogurts. Easy to do and then I know exactly what's in it especially the essential bacterias

Of course you can use Greek yogurt. I switched to lowfat Greek yogurt in Beth's Kong after she had a pancreatitis scare (and also after I learned how bad peanut butter is for your health with Omega-6 overload, atafloxins, etc.). Unlike regular yogurt it stays in place until it freezes. :)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad