Which Boots Are Best

Guest starr511

Guest starr511

I know this topic has been written about before, but do you think I could find any??? NOPE! So here it is again. I think it is the year to buy my guys winter boots. Would like to know what everyone uses and how well they stay on. Does your dog run in them? or just wears them for walks on the sidewalk? Do toenails poke holes in them? Thanks for any input.

nancy

We used the Neopaws summer boots for Sully when he had problems with his corn. They were great when I was trying to figure out what size would be best. I just looked at the site and they have lots more products now. The summer boots stayed on great and came with neoprene inserts for extra cushioning. They made a huge difference for Sully as he could go on long walks in comfort. Even after a lot of use the boots were in great shape.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

We use the Paws, I call the balloon booties. I've tried Velcro boots and they were off before we got down the drive. I like the Paws balloon kind. They stay on unless they step on them and they are reusable. They do get a little hole if on gravel, and sometimes the nails but I turn it and keep using until you can't use them. They will get stuck to themselves but easy to pull apart, just like a balloon. They keep the feet dry and don't keep from getting cold, but tolerate longer distance since the paws aren't getting wet and getting ice chunks b/w the pads.

My dogs are happy when they wear them.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

We mostly use cheap fleece booties with velcro straps. It's an art to get the straps tight enough. I have a new pair of expensive leather soled ones but they are harder to get on. The tips do wear out though as do the soles, so I put rubber bumpers made of old bike tires glued on the front. I plan to get some of that "Plastidip" stuff to reinforce the soles.

I was wondering if "suspenders" maybe attached to a winter coat would work best for keeping boots on. I can just see stopping at an interstate rest stop on a holiday trip and having to keep track of whether booties are on or off.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Guest starr511

If we find some boots, I think I will make some sort of suspenders too. Also need some leg warmers. By the time I get them all dressed to go to the Dog Park they won't be able to move!!! :flip

The ONLY boots I have ever tried that actually stay on (keeping in mind we often hike or walk through deep snow) are the Pawz rubber balloon boots. I have tried everything to get other boots to stay on including wraps, tape, etc. with no success. The downside to Pawz is that they do tear easily, I find the long greyhound toes and nails do make holes. You can easily remedy that with some duct tape on the end though and they can be reused many times.

• 4 years later...

If we find some boots, I think I will make some sort of suspenders too. Also need some leg warmers. By the time I get them all dressed to go to the Dog Park they won't be able to move!!! :flip

It'll be shoulder pads and big hair next. :hehe

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 3 years later...

I recently heard of HunnyBoots for the first time, in an unrelated thread. They look amazing.  So far, my Stanley is surviving his first snowstorm with us (and ensuing cold snap) without needing boots (not sure how he's doing this) but we are still considering getting him outfitted in these fantastic looking boots.  They look like they fit and function very well.

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

11 hours ago, Sniffy said:

I recently heard of HunnyBoots for the first time, in an unrelated thread. They look amazing. 

I saw the same post looked them up and ordered them.  Have not been disappointed Journey likes walking in them she struts and want’s to go faster with them on.  Great customer service and fast response.  I pre ordered so waited once they shipped had them in an amazing 6 days Australia to middle of US before Christmas.  I have waited longer for items closer.  They take some time to get used to putting them on.  Journey is getting her pads back to normal she wears them down on her walks, I am trying to prevent corns and keep grip on her feet.  So we vote a strong yes to Hunnyboots.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, 1Moregrey said:

I saw the same post looked them up and ordered them.  Have not been disappointed Journey likes walking in them she struts and want’s to go faster with them on.  Great customer service and fast response.  I pre ordered so waited once they shipped had them in an amazing 6 days Australia to middle of US before Christmas.  I have waited longer for items closer.  They take some time to get used to putting them on.  Journey is getting her pads back to normal she wears them down on her walks, I am trying to prevent corns and keep grip on her feet.  So we vote a strong yes to Hunnyboots.

another greyt endorsement. Thanks for the info!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

If anyone needs Hunnyboots I have several pairs I would like to sell. My inbox is full, but if you use the quote option when you respond here I should see it, if there's any interest. I have medium (2 pairs) and large (1 pair), all brand new. :(

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 8:17 PM, NeylasMom said:

If anyone needs Hunnyboots I have several pairs I would like to sell. My inbox is full, but if you use the quote option when you respond here I should see it, if there's any interest. I have medium (2 pairs) and large (1 pair), all brand new. :(

Jen, I would be very interested! Lucia has been wearing Therapaws for her corns and they've been great, but the T/D size is indefinitely out of stock due to COVID. I measured her feet and I think she'd wear a pair of each. I'd be willing to try since I can't get the Therapaws. Let me know if you still have them for sale. Thanks! :D 

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

1 hour ago, Kestrel said:

Jen, I would be very interested! Lucia has been wearing Therapaws for her corns and they've been great, but the T/D size is indefinitely out of stock due to COVID. I measured her feet and I think she'd wear a pair of each. I'd be willing to try since I can't get the Therapaws. Let me know if you still have them for sale. Thanks! :D 

I do. Can you email me? I'm jboydmorin on gmail. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

18 hours ago, NeylasMom said:

I do. Can you email me? I'm jboydmorin on gmail. 

Thanks, I just emailed you from Yahoo.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

• 10 months later...

Strongly recommend Bark Brite neoprene shoes--they stay on my greyhound's feet very well--better than any other ones we have tried, and quite inexpensive.  It has two velcro straps, and she will run pretty fast and not lose any.  Sometimes they slide a little and need adjusting, but they haven't fallen off yet.  We have two pairs.  They are not waterproof, but do a great job protecting her paws and keeping them away from the salt and pavement when it's too cold.  They seem warmer than the K9 apparel socks too--which stay on her hindlegs well, but the forelegs tend to slide off.  The K9 socks are nice fleecy uppers, but the bottom is not very warm or thick.  We do love the K9 greyhound winter coat and tummy warmer, easy on and off, and well made. 

We just got the Hunnyboots V3, and they are too large despite trying to be accurate with the measurements.  It's hard to tell if a smaller size will work.  They are quick off/on with the zipper, but I do not love that they really just go over the foot, and do not go up the ankle at all, seems like they would fall off readily even in a smaller size.  They are also stiffer than the Bark Brites, though Hunnyboots are supposed to be waterproof, which would be nice.  As an aside, the Hunnyboots coat is amazing, it fits her very well and seems well made.  Very happy about the coat, and it's hitting subzero temps this week where we are, so it's perfect timing.  However, not loving the boots, sadly.  May return them and buy a size smaller.  We have tried Therapaws when she had a corn, and they worked pretty well, but also somewhat inflexible and she seemed in between sizes, like her foot is long, and the correct length shoe was super wide.  Another aside, there was a cream that helped her corn tremendously, from Murray Ave.  Prior to trying that, my grey had to have one surgically removed, and it was a long and sad recovery.  The corn cream was miraculous.  It took time, but it eventually got rid of the corn completely, and it was much better than the surgery.  

• 7 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 10:17 PM, NeylasMom said:

Jen, I know it's a long shot, but do you have any left to sell? I'm interested in trying them for Willa's remaining front leg (the foot with the corn, poor girl). Thanks!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart