Which Boots Are Best

Guest starr511

Guest starr511

I know this topic has been written about before, but do you think I could find any??? NOPE! So here it is again. I think it is the year to buy my guys winter boots. Would like to know what everyone uses and how well they stay on. Does your dog run in them? or just wears them for walks on the sidewalk? Do toenails poke holes in them? Thanks for any input.

nancy

We used the Neopaws summer boots for Sully when he had problems with his corn. They were great when I was trying to figure out what size would be best. I just looked at the site and they have lots more products now. The summer boots stayed on great and came with neoprene inserts for extra cushioning. They made a huge difference for Sully as he could go on long walks in comfort. Even after a lot of use the boots were in great shape.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

We use the Paws, I call the balloon booties. I've tried Velcro boots and they were off before we got down the drive. I like the Paws balloon kind. They stay on unless they step on them and they are reusable. They do get a little hole if on gravel, and sometimes the nails but I turn it and keep using until you can't use them. They will get stuck to themselves but easy to pull apart, just like a balloon. They keep the feet dry and don't keep from getting cold, but tolerate longer distance since the paws aren't getting wet and getting ice chunks b/w the pads.

My dogs are happy when they wear them.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

We mostly use cheap fleece booties with velcro straps. It's an art to get the straps tight enough. I have a new pair of expensive leather soled ones but they are harder to get on. The tips do wear out though as do the soles, so I put rubber bumpers made of old bike tires glued on the front. I plan to get some of that "Plastidip" stuff to reinforce the soles.

I was wondering if "suspenders" maybe attached to a winter coat would work best for keeping boots on. I can just see stopping at an interstate rest stop on a holiday trip and having to keep track of whether booties are on or off.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Missing my heart dog Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Guest starr511

If we find some boots, I think I will make some sort of suspenders too. Also need some leg warmers. By the time I get them all dressed to go to the Dog Park they won't be able to move!!! :flip

The ONLY boots I have ever tried that actually stay on (keeping in mind we often hike or walk through deep snow) are the Pawz rubber balloon boots. I have tried everything to get other boots to stay on including wraps, tape, etc. with no success. The downside to Pawz is that they do tear easily, I find the long greyhound toes and nails do make holes. You can easily remedy that with some duct tape on the end though and they can be reused many times.

• 4 years later...

If we find some boots, I think I will make some sort of suspenders too. Also need some leg warmers. By the time I get them all dressed to go to the Dog Park they won't be able to move!!! :flip

It'll be shoulder pads and big hair next. :hehe

Grace (Ardera Coleen) born 18 June 2014
Raced at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton UK - 68 Races, 9 wins, 5 second places
Gotcha Day 10 June 2018