Getting Rose In The Truck

Guest Gestu60

Guest Gestu60

Anyone have any tips for getting our girl in the truck? We have a 4 door pickup that we use to pull our camper and I would like train Rose to get in. The firat time we took her for a ride we basically had to lift her in. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

How old is she? Does she jump into other vehicles? Can you try luring her in with treats? Can you lift her front legs into the floorboard then put arms under her butt and "encourage" her to jump?

There are lots of ways to do this - but knowing her age and comfort with vehicles will help.

I throw really great treats in while encouraging them in. The girls are typically a little easier because most of them have some concept of jumping. The boys not so much, thanks to their bottom crate position at the track. That said though, I've had even female fosters struggle with jumping into the backseat of my truck.

Teaching them to jump on and off of lower things and working the height up can be helpful. For example, asking them on and off a stool, then an ottoman, then a chair and rewarding for it and giving it a cue to the behaviour of jumping up on something. You can then transfer it to the vehicle.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest shanesmom

It took time to teach Ace because he was the fearful kind and at first I didn't know what motivated him. Treats do not. But toys sure do. He is toy crazy. Now when I need to get him to jump into anything new and he at first doesn't want to I get him super excited sqeeking a toy and talk real happy to him, throw the toy in and up he goes. Once he knows he can do it he has the confidence to do it without a toy.

Ours all struggle with getting up into our 4WD truck, too.

Making it to the floor is not too bad, but there's no way they'd ever make it up onto the seat from the ground.

Can you make some kind of ramp or a bench?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My Buck refused to get in my Explorer--at first. When he realized that no matter what he did, he WAS getting in, he gave up and now he jumps in just fine. And he is, as they say, a "wee" fellow. First trip home, I had help getting him in. Next trip, I lifted his front end first, then his back end. Same with third and fourth. After that, he got in on his own.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck