Where Should He Sleep? Growling

Guest Lenic

Hi all, I just thought I'd update everyone with a big thank you for your support. It took only 24hours for Wigs to get the message and he is like a different dog. He now chooses to sleep in his bed every night and never bothers me. He also now only comes to us for fuss and attention when he wants it so that's great. He snuck up on the sofa yesterday and got 'down' when told, cue massive fuss and treats and one happy dog . . . Am very pleased he's bright enough to train so quickly.!

Well done! Congrats to you and Wigs! I'm always SO happy when I see such a positive outcome! Please - keep asking questions. The best grey owners are the ones that ASK! You'll get lots of different responses, sort through them, and find what's relevant to your situation. I've had greys for years, and still ask for advice on this site.

Wonderful update!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Yay! I was just going to tell you not to get discouraged because it will all be worth it, but it looks like you already learned that! The best advice I got when adopting is that, despite being a little quirky, they're dogs and it's not that easy to break them :)

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Hi all, I hope someone can help.

I adopted a greyhound 6 weeks ago, he is very timid, but is slowly settling in. He is 5 and has been racing for 3 years. I got him from a general rehoming centre rather than a retired greyhound centre. They said I should let him sleep on my bed, but for the first 4 weeks he refused to leave the living room and was too afraid to come into my bedroom. Last week I came home and found him on my bed, it's been bonfire night so I figured he was scared and picked the safest/quietest space. He has a duvet on the floor of the living room but rarely sleeps on this. My housemate and I agreed that if he was on the duvet we would leave him alone so that would become his safe space.

The last few nights he has slept on my bed and I have moved in the night and he has growled at me - he also did this during the day today when I tried to move something on my bed (he was lying on a cardigan). I guess my question is should I now ban him from my bed? I am worried that he can't really share my bedspace and I don't really want to wake up to growling greyhound in the early hours - there isn't much room in the bedroom to put his bed on the floor - I also think he wouldn't understand this and would just try to get on the bed. So that would mean banning him from the room and making him sleep alone in the living room. However the centre I got him from said that dogs are social animals and that it's not nice to keep them out of the bedroom. He's struggling to adjust so I want to be consistent and give him a safe space. All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Gidge was that way. As long as I didn't move, everything was fine. We had a meeting of the minds - my bed, not yours. If you growl, you're off the bed. So she fixed it so that if I moved or twitched or breathed, I would hear the "tchhh" and she would get down and go to her bed on her own.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE