Vet Recommends Rest

Just saw the vet this morning. Jake has some inflamation and tenderness to an old tendon injury (we think). He's on anti-inflammatories and antibiotics for 2 weeks. He is also supposed to rest for 10 days - 2 weeks. No walks, playing outside, or dog park. We can control the outings, but does anyone have any experience keeping your dog from getting crazy in the house? He also has a dog door so can get outside. I'm pretty sure he sleeps all day, but every once in awhile he does zoomies outside when we're home. Anyone have any advice? We like to take Jake everywhere so this is going to drive us all stir-crazy!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Aidan is currently on doggy bed rest and so far it has not been going well lol. I can control that he cant go on walks but when he randomly decides to do zoomies around the house its hard to stop him! So I feel your pain.

Edited by Aidansmom

i hate to mention the "c" word....but when a dog needs strict rest it's an option. either that or a baby gated small area w/ a bed. close off the doggie door.,walk to pee- on lead, that's it. it's even more difficult for us than them. how about raw marrow bones to keep him busy.

Edited by cleptogrey

Close the dog door. It's really not that big a deal. My Kramer had to be confined for 12 weeks--which stretched into almost a full 9 months of nothing but pee breaks. THAT was a big deal. Two weeks? Try playing some games inside--like hiding a cookie under a cup and seeing if your dog figures out how to get it. Stuff like that. It'll be over before you know it. However, if MY greyhound was lame for no known reason, I would insist on x-rays because the reality is that it may be something far worse.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Are you looking for ways to ensure he stays calm inside, or ways to burn off the excess energy because he can't do his usual routine?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Close the dog door. It's really not that big a deal. My Kramer had to be confined for 12 weeks--which stretched into almost a full 9 months of nothing but pee breaks. THAT was a big deal. Two weeks? Try playing some games inside--like hiding a cookie under a cup and seeing if your dog figures out how to get it. Stuff like that. It'll be over before you know it. However, if MY greyhound was lame for no known reason, I would insist on x-rays because the reality is that it may be something far worse.

9 months! How in the world did you manage?!? Aidan is on his second week of a 2 week doggy bed rest and he and I are already going crazy. He begs me for walks everyday and makes me feel so guilty for not being able to take him. He eventually gives up trying and just lays in his bed with this "I hate you mom" look on his face.

One thing I can suggest for a good inside quiet activity is a hidden treats type game. I got the idea from someone on here a few months ago. I take a box and fill it with crumpled news paper. I then take a high value treat, which for Aidan is some boiled chicken and put small chucks around in the box. He has fun searching around the box for them and he takes him awhile to find them all. Hes not the best at the game and does not know he can just take the newspaper out so he just sticks his whole head in the box and noses around till he finds something.

Edited by Aidansmom

Thanks for all the advice. We've been doing rides in the car (instead of truck) so that he gets to leave the house without too much walking around. He isn't actually lame at all- just has this bump. The vet said xrays wouldn't be worthwhile because it's soft tissue. Our next option is to do a biopsy, but he would have to go under and I want to avoid that if possible. I suppose we could close the dog door, but he almost never plays out there alone. I think he's been okay just chilling at home. I really hope the swelling goes down and we don't have to biopsy it!

I'll have to try that newspaper game!

Edited by NeedlenoseJake

Guest DogNewbie

My dog Wiley has the exact type of bump! It is soft tissue two bumps on the inside of his right hide thigh. Our vet said the same thing, biopsy is the next step, but since they have to go under, it might not be worth it. They don't bother him at all and they aren't painful to touch. So we just keep an eye on them. Let me know how it goes!

Edited by DogNewbie

You can also hide small treats thruout the house. (remember where they are in case he can't find them. You don't want to forget and leave them there). Teach the "find it" command (it's from nose work classes). Put maybe one treat in a room go there with him and have him look for it. Have one or two in different rooms. Eventually, send him to 'find it' without you having to help him.

it's an expansion of the paper box game.

Where is the bump?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The bump is on his front left hock area. He has had a lump there since we adopted him. An aspiration showed nothing significant and the vet thinks it's an old tendon injury. It stayed the same for months and then grew seemingly overnight. The vet thinks he re-injured it and prescribed the anti-inflammatories and rest. However, it isn't going down :( The next step is a biopsy and I think we will probably have to go there.

When we had to restrict activity here my neighbor was able to rig an unfolded X-pen with cup hooks and bungee cords to block off the hallway and bathroom. When we got a little more access he took the unfolded X-pen, cup hooks and bungee cord and attached one end by the door and the other end to the deck so there was about a 4 ft. by 3 ft. grass potty area outside via the dog door. That along baby gating the kitchen worked great

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I would definitely X-ray before doing a biopsy.