Trying Not To Freak Out

Sunday I noticed Sunshine was walking careful up the stairs. Usually she gallops like a deranged elephant. Likes to see how much sound she can make. :-)

Then I noticed she would cry when getting up out of bed. Then it moved to a slight scream and cry. Once she was standing she was okay. No limping, no palpable tenderness, no heat or swelling, etc. We are pretty sure it's get left shoulder and neck area. She won't bend down to pick up food off the floor. She either lays or bows.

Yesterday she stated limping just a bit. It's almost undetectable. Yesterday morning I started her on Tramadol 3 times a day and Rimadyl twice. Zero improvement. Normally Rimadyl makes her feel like super puppy and she literally will run into walls.

This morning she progressed to crying when laying down. She can still jump on the bed and couch. She's really only using her hind legs for that anyways. Getting off those places is uncomfortable and sometimes gets a whine.

We have a vet app Friday at 5pm. I'm trying so hard not to freak out. We just had to send Murdoc to the rainbow bridge. Once I realized the medicines weren't going to help the pain at all I started to feel like I couldn't breath. Please everyone just tell me she must have a pulled muscle! She's only 7.5 years young. Not sure how I'm going to survive until Friday night.

------

Jessica

Guest sireltonsmom

So sorry for your fear. Vet is good decision. Will keep you all close in my heart hoping for pulled muscle. I understand how thoughts rush to the worst. Our MINDY came up lame two days ago and was not well yesterday. Today better. Hoping your sweetie rebounds.

:hope sending good thoughts that it's something minor

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Deep breaths.

Of course this could be something nasty, but from what you've said it sounds more like a tweaked muscle in her back or neck. That can certainly cause the yelping when trying to stand up or lie down. It can also cause limping as the dog starts walking funny in an effort to avoid pain when moving the wrong way.

If you have a harness for her, try using that rather than attaching a leash to her collar. Raise her food and water bowls to a comfortable height. (I have a couple of big Rubbermaid storage containers. I put the bowls on top of those.)

Also, try to get a video of her getting up or lying down or moving funny. I've had this happen with two different dogs, and both times the yelpy dogs walked into the vet's office and let the vet virtually tie them into pretzel shapes without making a sound. They'd stand up, lie down, all that stuff, and not let out a peep. In your case, since you've started her on Rimadyl, she actually might be feeling better by Friday--rather than faking it like mine did--so your vet might need to see the videos to get a better idea where the problem was.

For one of my dogs who had this problem, it was the start of on-again/off-again back pain that we managed with gabapentin and methocarbamol (a muscle relaxer) for the rest of his life. He was about ten or so when it started, and I lost him at age 13 from a combination of old-age issues. The other dog with this problem has some arthritis in her shoulder, and this still crops up once in a while.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

So sorry for your fear. Vet is good decision. Will keep you all close in my heart hoping for pulled muscle. I understand how thoughts rush to the worst. Our MINDY came up lame two days ago and was not well yesterday. Today better. Hoping your sweetie rebounds.

I hope Mindy feels better soon!

------

Jessica

Deep breaths.

Of course this could be something nasty, but from what you've said it sounds more like a tweaked muscle in her back or neck. That can certainly cause the yelping when trying to stand up or lie down. It can also cause limping as the dog starts walking funny in an effort to avoid pain when moving the wrong way.

If you have a harness for her, try using that rather than attaching a leash to her collar. Raise her food and water bowls to a comfortable height. (I have a couple of big Rubbermaid storage containers. I put the bowls on top of those.)

Also, try to get a video of her getting up or lying down or moving funny. I've had this happen with two different dogs, and both times the yelpy dogs walked into the vet's office and let the vet virtually tie them into pretzel shapes without making a sound. They'd stand up, lie down, all that stuff, and not let out a peep. In your case, since you've started her on Rimadyl, she actually might be feeling better by Friday--rather than faking it like mine did--so your vet might need to see the videos to get a better idea where the problem was.

For one of my dogs who had this problem, it was the start of on-again/off-again back pain that we managed with gabapentin and methocarbamol (a muscle relaxer) for the rest of his life. He was about ten or so when it started, and I lost him at age 13 from a combination of old-age issues. The other dog with this problem has some arthritis in her shoulder, and this still crops up once in a while.

Thank you! She does have a raised feeder. Although in the morning I usually toss them each a handful of cookies on the carpet for breakfast. She was waiting in the living room laying down waiting for hers. :( Usually she's dancing around helping. This morning was the first time her eyes look like there is something wrong. She's just staring at me asking me saying "Mommy fix it!"

Good idea on the video! I'll get some of her getting up and crying. The limping is off and on this morning. She does have a harness, but she hates it! For her vet trip I'll just put her tags on a thinner martingale. The leather one might be too heavy for her. She never pulls and it's not like we are going for walks this week. :( I was hoping the Rimadyl would make her feel better by Friday, but she's had 3 doses now with no improvement.

I'm so glad to hear you've had two dogs with manageable shoulder/back pain issues! *Deep Breathes*

It could be bursitis or some arthritis in her shoulder. Keep us posted. :grouphug

Thanks Donna! I could deal with those things!

------

Jessica

What you describe is not uncommon based on the many greyhounds I have had and handled. Most of the time it is simply a process of managing the condition with meds- most commonly tramadol and robaxin- which are safe and which I have used long term on different hounds with no ill effects before. Most of the time with a course of treatment & with rest they recover-for a while. They could go months before another episode or weeks before it "flares up" again. I would encourage you to restrict her activity until you see the vet and not let her jump on the bed etc.. The vets I have used for this all stress the importance of restricted activity. It can be the difference between recovery or a more serious deterioration of the injury. Try not to worry. Its just a greyhound thing and most of the time is NOT a major problem. This is JMO based on a lot of experience with greyhounds and their spine conditions.

What you describe is not uncommon based on the many greyhounds I have had and handled. Most of the time it is simply a process of managing the condition with meds- most commonly tramadol and robaxin- which are safe and which I have used long term on different hounds with no ill effects before. Most of the time with a course of treatment & with rest they recover-for a while. They could go months before another episode or weeks before it "flares up" again. I would encourage you to restrict her activity until you see the vet and not let her jump on the bed etc.. The vets I have used for this all stress the importance of restricted activity. It can be the difference between recovery or a more serious deterioration of the injury. Try not to worry. Its just a greyhound thing and most of the time is NOT a major problem. This is JMO based on a lot of experience with greyhounds and their spine conditions.

Thank you! I'll go research those meds. Glad to hear this might be a common thing. She's always been a pretty active healthy greyhound.

------

Jessica

If it helps at all, Brees suddenly came up lame and in tremendous pain a couple months ago. Nothing serious on the x-ray, so the prescription was drugs and rest. Of course, in the time it took to get the x-rays read, I had already planned the amputation/chemo in my twisted little mind.

They *do* just get hurt sometimes.

This photo was taken when my bad-back boy was 12:

8154751081_1aa94da92c_z.jpg

He thought that was comfortable. (I think it might have comfortably stretched kinks in his back.)

Also, if you can make a sunshine patch in the house (I moved a piece of furniture so it didn't block the window), your Sunshine might appreciate a chance to bask in the heat.

7546907222_482463052a_z.jpg

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Carl pinched a nerve in his neck and behaved much as what you are describing. He couldn't even raise his head above his shoulders. My vet did a chiro treatment and he walked out of the office in much less pain, was back to normal within a few days. I shared all your same fears and concerns, too. I'm not trying to give false hope, but sometimes it is something like a pinched nerve. Sending good thoughts to your girl.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

KF_in_Georgia He's so precious! Speaking of laying down, it just dawned on me that she hasn't roached since this started on Sunday. That's how she usually spends her day. I'll open the curtains right now so the sun hits her where she's laying :beatheart

Carl pinched a nerve in his neck and behaved much as what you are describing. He couldn't even raise his head above his shoulders. My vet did a chiro treatment and he walked out of the office in much less pain, was back to normal within a few days. I shared all your same fears and concerns, too. I'm not trying to give false hope, but sometimes it is something like a pinched nerve. Sending good thoughts to your girl.

Thank you! Adding that to my list of possibilities. I'm starting to breath a little easier.

------

Jessica

Check her neck --they often will show front leg lameness with a tweaked neck. Harness walk only, warm packs, NSAID, Tramadol and robaxin is often prescribed. Rest, rest and more rest.

I think it is in her left neck/shoulder area.

I'm almost scared to type this but I think she's feeling a little better. She's now had 8 doses of Tramadol and 4 doses of Rimadyl. She's not screaming as she gets up and sort of walked with a sassy wiggle from eating dinner. Let's hope tomorrow morning is even better! I welcome the challenge of keeping her quiet at this point. (which did not go well the last time she was injured.)

Thanks everyone for talking me off the ledge today. I had nightmares all last night about Swiss cheese shoulder bones. :-(

------

Jessica

Last week, Fuzzy would cry out when getting up and if he turned around on his bed. I was so upset, because, he doesn't make a sound. Never barks, or cries, even in his sleep. I gave him a Traumeel during the day and Tramadol over night. I don't know how he hurt himself, but, the next day or so he was fine. Hoping the same for your girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds