Can A Greyhound Play With Just One Stuffie?

Guest pyrobud

Guest pyrobud

So we brought a new boy into our home about 1 month ago. He is a 15 month old brindle ball of love and our first grey. Bones Pelini Geiger is his name. Bonus to the husker fans that get that!

He has shown interest in our sons stuffed animals. I think this is something to nip in the bud to start with. My wife is wondering if we give him one toy that he can call his own he would be content with his toy.

Eh, it's going to be veeeeery hard, if not impossible, to make him understand "this is your one toy, the others are not." The best thing you can do is just restrict his access to your son's toys. Make sure they're put away or in a room that's baby-gated and off limits to him. Easier said than done, of course. :)

Good way to teach kids to put their toys away. :)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

You will also need to teach your son that if the hound has his toy(s), that he needs to get an adult to retrieve it. You do not want your son trying to get the toy from the hound as it could become a territorial issue that will get your son injured. With proper training of the "drop it" command or training in "trading up, the adult should be able to get the toy back.

Agree with the others that if there are toys your son doesn;t want the dog to have, he needs to keep them where the hound can't get them. The hound is not going to know the difference.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest pyrobud

That's what I was afraid of. Thank you. What types of toys do greys like? We have everything from ropes to tires to kongs to tennis balls that squeak to tennis balls that don't. Am I missing something or is a stuffed animal all he is ever going to want?

That's what I was afraid of. Thank you. What types of toys do greys like? We have everything from ropes to tires to kongs to tennis balls that squeak to tennis balls that don't. Am I missing something or is a stuffed animal all he is ever going to want?

Every hound is different, but my girls definitely prefer plush toys with squeakers to non-plush toys.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Rudy enjoys plush toys with squeakers too. He sometimes ruins the squeakers but doesn't tear up the toys, so I have a lot of variety around here for him. Greyhounds just often seem drawn to soft things it seems like.

Edited by k9soul

In my experience, Jake does get the idea if he does after something off limits and we say "no, drop it!". It takes multiple times, but one example is his halloween costume. It's stuffed and of course he wanted to eat it at first. After several corrections he got the idea and now it's stored within his reach and he hasn't shown any interest. Just my experience.

Edited to add: GBR!

Edited by NeedlenoseJake

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

My girl plays only with the stuffless stuffies, and they better have lots of squeeers in them or they're just not worth it. Of coure, she doesn't often play with them, and even when she does chomp on one or throw it around, it's only for about 60 seconds.

As others above said, a stuffy is a stuffy to a dog. In his mind, they're all his. :-)

I wanted to add that the things that are off limits will sink in over time, but it's not something that you're going to be able to immediately teach. There will have to be immediate correction to reinforce what's okay and what's not. For instance, if the dog picks up one of your son's toys, you should do a correction and get him to drop it. Maybe even give him one of his own as a trade.

However, if you come home and he has torn up one of your son's toys, correcting him or punishing him at that point does no good and serves no purpose.

It often takes months for greyhounds to get interested in toys. If you want to get him a few toys that he will learn are his, try stuffed hedgehogs with a squeaker (not sure why, but hedgehogs are favorite among almost all greyhounds. In our experience with Rocket, the floppier the toy, the fuzzier the toy, and the more obnoxious the squeaker is will insure that he likes it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have a big stuffed puppy I keep on my bed that was a gift from a loved one, and Rudy of course wanted to play with it. Since he doesn't actually rip them up I wasn't as concerned about keeping it out of reach, but whenever he grabbed it I would just get up and grab one of his other toys and talk happily to him. He'd grab the other toy and play with that and I would put my stuffie back on my bed. I never got onto him, but he actually seemed to get the idea or lose interest just from me doing that. Now he doesn't mess with it anymore. Every dog is different of course but I think the biggest step is getting the dog their own toys that they like and if you take something away, trade up with one of their toys or even a treat and then a toy so that it's not an unpleasant experience and the dog doesn't get the idea that they need to guard what they have.

Our dogs have never understood the difference between 'their' stuffies and the kids' stuffies. And really, how could they?? I used to tell my kids that they just need to put their stuff away, then the dog won't get it.

I have had to put away an antique doll and a handmade raggedy ann doll because the CAT keeps chewing on them! :shakefinger

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Plush squeeky toys go over really well here. Fluffier toys get pounced on, stuffingless toys are flung around and shaken like crazy, and those long dog-shaped loofa toys are gleefully carried as they do zoomies in the yard. I'm fortunate that our boys aren't toy destroyers, instead they'll happily sit there and just chew on the squeeker for awhile. For some reason (I can't figure out why) octopus-shaped toys seem to be their favorite; Indy's even taken one on a walk before, and only set it down for mom to carry about 2/3 of the way through. (Ever seen a greyhound carrying a bright green octopus on the trail? It's rather entertaining!)

I've also had some success with the all-rubber squeeky toys depending on what mood they're in. River usually ignores them, but Indy will sometimes go nuts because they make really loud noises. Mostly I just raid the clearance bin at Petsmart to see what toys are there to bring home :)

Their love of plushies means I have to be diligent about keeping anything fluffy out of their reach; Indy's lion mane for halloween was a recent victim of the "crazies" when it didn't get put away. Just means he'll look like a scruffy lion next year ;)