Rubbing Face On Carpet (My Dog That Is)

Guest jfhandy

Guest jfhandy

I have had a grey hound for a couple years now and for the last few months he has been scratching and rubbing is face a lot. He will also lay on the floor and rub his face on the carpet. It definitely gets his leg going and I can't tell if it is something he just likes or if his face is really itching. Is this normal for dogs? Can anyone suggest something I might look into. Should I take him to the vet?

Thanks!

If it is more than just a face wash or an occasional itch your hound may have allergies. It's hard to determine between food or environmental/inhalant/seasonal allergies. Unlike humans where we get runniy eyes, nose, sneezing etc...dogs present with dermal issues--itchy skin, ear infections, skin infection...

It's best to see your veterinarian as treating allergies can range from just trying antihistamines to food elimination trial and even allergy testing/vaccine.

Guest MeAndMouse

A previous foster dog of mine had food allergies and he used to scratch, paw and rub his face a lot. It was a very different behavior than when my dogs rub their faces after they eat and such. If you think it may be allergies, try to think of anything that has changed in diet or environment around the time he started doing this.

I would definitely take him to the vet if you think it's really bothering him.

Guest rudyboots

Probably doesn't help, but one of our hounds rubs his face on things after getting special treats in his dinner (sardines, canned dog food, etc). That's the only time I've seen either of them rub their faces on anything.

One of my fosters would do this to the point of making her face bleed. We thought it was lupus and treated for that. Turns out she has some food and plastic allergies. A change in food, wire muzzle, and gradually decreased pred and she is fine now.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest FordRacingRon

One of my boys rubs his face on everything after he eats. No rhyme or reason- it's just one of those weird, quirky things he does. He also loves having his snoot scratched.

This over here too,except of course our girl.