Chicken Feet!

So after reading about how magical chicken feet are as a treat I finally found a Asian food store in my area that carried them. I bought a package and brought them home still nervous about feeding my boy this gross looking foot. After reading a bit more on the forums about how everyone's pups LOVE them, I got up the courage to go out into the kitchen and give him his first foot.

He didn't even chew it! He pretty much swallowed the whole foot in one bite! Should I be considered? Has anyone else had a grey who wont even chew the foot? I'm so worried now that maybe it wasn't the best idea for him.

I give them frozen, but thawed just a little bit. Rocket chews them when they are frozen like that, but would gulp them if they weren't.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I give them frozen, but thawed just a little bit. Rocket chews them when they are frozen like that, but would gulp them if they weren't.

Maybe I will try that next time. Should I be worried about him taking the whole thing in though? The bone is all digestible right?

Guest AimeeBee

I give the dried ones -- they are usually crunched away in maybe 3-4 bites. I wouldn't worry too much about him eating the fresh one whole, but maybe freeze in the future to encourage chewing.

Dogs aren't big chewers, they are designed more for tearing, gulping and swallowing. If they get a smaller piece of meat, they normally won't chew it a lot. Usually a couple of crunches and then a swallow. If your dog isn't chewing at all though, I would definitely try freezing it, or feeding something much larger (like a turkey neck). I wouldn't really worry though, everything should digest fine. You may notice a very firm stool from the bone.

Edited by RedHead

:nod

I keep ours in the freezer and dole them out straight from there.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

poppy loves her birdy feets.

i give her one after dinner, and if i forget she harasses me until i do. we use the dried ones from the local 'pets at home' store.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest skinnerjenna

You are all much braver than me. Someone gave me some as a gift once and said their hounds love them. I didn't dare to hand them out even outside. They looked so gross that I threw them out! Yuck!