Youtube Training Videos

Guest kelsow

Just wondering if there are good training video's on the tube.

I found Zak George's Dog Training rEvolution but don't know how good he is.

I'm looking for good clicker training but want nothing to do with Cesar.

Thanks

What kinds of things are you looking to train?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

The Zak George videos I've seen have been good/interesting. I think with whatever you watch on youtube it will give you ideas and you will know sooner or later whether your dog is 'getting it'. Otherwise you can try a different tack. If you are after agility type stuff of course Jen from NeverSayNever has made some really good videos over time.

I've actually met Zak. He is very nice. He does more sport training. Is that what you are looking for?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I guess I should have clarified. Clicker training for the basics really. Sit, stay, down etc.

I tried a bit today but Jax lost interest in his treats. This guy is finicky.

I'm still getting to know him so I don't want to push him too much or too soon.

You need to use super high value treats and keep sessions very short. Houndies in general have a low tolerance for repetition. A border collie or kelpie or aussie shepherd might do the same thing over and over for half an hour, but for a Greyhound you really should stop after a couple of successful goes at first and build up slowly. Short and sharp or they will lose interest and go to their beds for a nap!

I also clicker trained my greyhound, and things started off VERY slow. I actually stopped because he just didn't seem motivated, he would just wander off and go plunk down on his bed. Eventually though, a light bulb went off and he now stays engaged for longer periods. I started by teaching him to touch a target stick with his nose. Easy to do and then you can use that to shape some other fun behaviours like spin, weave, etc. I had to use raw pieces of beef (yuck!) or pieces of roast chicken for training in the beginning because my guy is not food motivated.

Karen Pryor's website has a ton of info and resources on clicker training

https://www.clickertraining.com/?gclid=CLX5_rjp38ECFY-DaQodABYAdw

I love NeverSayNeverGreyhounds site as was mentioned above, but it isn't based on clicker training (still some useful training videos, especially for things like sit and down which can be tricky with greys).

Easiest thing to do to load the clicker is to teach eye contact. That's what I do with every foster that walks in the door. It's an easy behaviour, it's very simple to do with the clicker, and you need it for absolutely everything else going forward. Your dog needs to be paying attention in order to learn anything else, so might as well start with that!

Here's a video of Kili at 8 or 9 weeks old when we first got her learning to give eye contact. It is a total default behaviour now. If she's not sure what she's supposed to do she looks at me.

ETA: Apparently that video also includes sitting and laying down. Also a note, I was trying to teach her name recognition, however, it's not necessary to say anything if you are mostly just trying to teach eye contact and load your clicker. You just wait until the dog looks at you on his/her own without saying anything. The second video I'm attaching probably shows this better. This video was when Kili was a little older and she was having outdoor distraction issues. Note that I just wait until she looks at me, click and treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfXC-sXjrlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb9QUD0K0jA&list=UUv4UPHwt2tthOhojMb-jtXg

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!