How Do You Know When If You Should Adopt Another?

Guest 18tjettagrl

Guest 18tjettagrl

I've had Victoria for 2 years now. When she got here there was another dog and cat that I had for years before. The beagle/bassett passed not even a month after she came and of course that was something I had a hard time dealing with, but she knew something was wrong and comforted me. Then it was Victoria and the cat who as much as they didn't really like each other (well when we were around they acted the part) I think she had company. As the cat got sick which happened so quickly she once again comforted me. I had to put the cat down this past April and she seems lonely. It's just her now. I would love to have another in our family but not sure when or if I would know is the right time. Maybe she's not lonely and loves being #1? Suggestions or what have you all done to figure this issue out?

Edited by 18tjettagrl

Guest KsFrets

Foster with intent! That's how we got my avatar girl. If it's not right, you have an out, if it's right, you'll know.

Edited by KsFrets

My attitude is if I can afford and reasonably have another, I will (which in my case is 2 dogs). :hehe I prefer having dogs in pairs, I think most dogs enjoy the company of others. I would suggest perhaps fostering, or bringing your current dog to the adoption group to find the perfect match. :)

Guest Muscovy

Do you have any friends with greys? Before you foster/adopt you could try a doggie sleep over at your place. See how she feels about having another hound in the house. I know one night won't give you the whole picture, but it might be a good way to find out if she's possessive of her things/space, jealous for your attention, or the complete opposite.

I bet she would love a buddy :) Just a matter of finding the right one.

Guest 18tjettagrl

I believed you all are right. I need to foster to see how well Victoria accepts the possibility of not being an only child. It will also give us an idea if we can take on another. This is exciting!!

Edited by 18tjettagrl

Guest KsFrets

You know, if you are going to feed one, you might as well feed two. Actually, it's just as easy to feed three as it is one. Same for walking, if you go through the steps to get out the door, you might as well bring one or two more along. Same for car rides, and even vet yearlys. So the solution is simple, get two more :D

We thought Emmie wanted to be an only dog, then we stayed with my father-in-law on holiday for a couple of weeks and she got very attached to his Jack Russell. She was very unsettled when we got back so we fostered Harvey and it was obvious within a few days that he wasn't going anywhere. Definitely try fostering!

I agree, fostering or having a greyhound playdate is the way to go. Lola lost her sister this summer....I wasn't sure if she was lonely, or if it was just me having a hard time watching her eat and sleep alone. After a month or so, I gave it a try and it worked out. If it works for you, another hound gets a home! Good luck.

2rqyqhd.jpg

:)It's greyt to hear that you're being cautious, and not jumping right in. I also vote for fostering. A year after adopting Bonnie, we thought we'd try fostering, but soon learned that she's happiest as our only child, lol. She's extremely friendly and outgoing, but when our foster began to feel more comfortable and exert his will, Bonnie began to withdraw.

Yes, it's very exciting! Hope to hear updates often. :)

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I decide how many pets and of what variety, not my other pets!

:nod If you would like another dog, then the suggestion of fostering is a good one.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I have been going through the same questions in my mind. In my case I have two dogs but I did have three for a time until I lost my oldest in August. I know my lab mix will do fine with another dog, she grew up being part of a trio. But Rudy had issues with my eldest and I definitely don't want the stress of that again. There were factors involved of course, my older dog got nippy with Rudy right off the bat his first day home so they didn't have a good start. Then as she declined and had confusion and some dementia issues it seemed to make him tense, and he went after her a few times prompting vet visits. It might be really different with another hound, but because of all the questions in my mind I have decided to foster with intent.

Meeting dogs out in a neutral area isn't a good enough indicator for me for how they will coexist in a household together. So I think fostering is a better way to see how everyone does when actually living together.

Edited by k9soul