Long Nails Causing Problems

Guest rogueslg71

Guest rogueslg71

Well we were not really taking care of her nails as well as we should have and they got very long - they are bent almost sideways because there is no room for them when she's up. So we started to cut them using a nail trimmer that has a guard - it only cuts a little at a time and we cut it till we are close to the quick and then do this once a week. Wil the quick receed slowly if we keep ths up - is doing it once a week ok? Today she cracked her nail when she slipped and fell running in the park =( We have it all bandaged up and sprayed some liquid bandaid on it for now but I am very worried if we don't get her nails back into order she will hurt herself too much. I'm not sure how long it should take to get back to normal either so it's hard to judge if we're making enough progress or not enough with them. If anyone has had this problem or have some advice I would really appreciate it and so would our greyhound.

If you hand-file her claws or use a dremel, you might be able to get the quick to recede faster. I have a spooky girl that wouldn't be able to handle a dremel, but she does just fine with a standard metal grooming file. Good luck!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Try doing it 2 or 3 times a week until you can get them under control. A little at a time so you don't nick the quick. The quick will

recede a little every time.

We use a dremel here and do Frannie's twice a week. She's not one to like her nails done so I only do a little at a time a couple

times a week and she's good with that.

Try doing it 2 or 3 times a week until you can get them under control. A little at a time so you don't nick the quick. The quick will

recede a little every time.

We use a dremel here and do Frannie's twice a week. She's not one to like her nails done so I only do a little at a time a couple

times a week and she's good with that.

I second this, in my experience with Barbie they don't receed enough once a week but she has monster quick growing nails and once a week is maintenance with her..... only taking off a bit at a time is probably 3 sec per nail with my dremel. I've found the sound the dremel makes changes when I get close to the quick so it makes it a lot easier than trying to use clippers and see where the clippers are going to cut.

Otherwise a file would work but be slower of course :)

Guest rogueslg71

Thanks for the suggestions. She is too afraid of the dremel but I just ordered a metal grooming file and in the meantime I will clip a little bit 2-3 times a week until the file is shipped then I plan to use the file a little bit at a time. I very much appreciate the advice and hope to report back soon with good results. :)

an experienced groomer will be your best friend. weekly trims by the groomer and mega treats as soon as the nails are done will start some positive reinforcement and they know what they are doing. other wise try your vet on a weekly schedule. i find that the spookier dogs do not like the sound or feel of the dremel. a large human file will do the same as a pet file.

Guest rogueslg71

Thanks for the tip. We normally only bring her once a month and we are going to try to bring her in at least twice a month now to the groomers at petsmart for her nails.

I'm curious why a Greyhound needs a trip to the groomer monthly? Bathing a Greyhound monthly, unless it has allergies requiring medicated shampoo, is TOTALLY unnecessary. And if you're going to a groomer monthly and they have not been trimming the dog's nails...it's not a very good groomer anyway!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest FordRacingRon

Thanks for the suggestions. She is too afraid of the dremel but I just ordered a metal grooming file and in the meantime I will clip a little bit 2-3 times a week until the file is shipped then I plan to use the file a little bit at a time. I very much appreciate the advice and hope to report back soon with good results. :)

Leia had long nails too but when we started Dremeling them once a week we got them under control. She hated the dremel (hated a clipper more) but a lady from our group told me to just smear a big wad of peanut butter on the top of her mouth as you fire up the dremel. She will think more about the peanut butter then the dremel. For Leia that worked. Now I just hold her in my lap like a baby as my DW sands away. No peanut butter required (but of course she is 11 1/2 and we've been doing this for 8 years).

If you walk her enough on rough hard surfaces, her nails will wear down naturally and save all the hassle and expense in the future.

This certainly doesn't work for mine!

Edited by jetska

This certainly doesn't work for mine!

the only dog who ever wore his nails down was a saluki i adopted whose front was east-west and he was cow hocked. (blind in one eye as well, but i'm sure the blindness had nothing to do w/ him wearing down his nails). when a dog moves properly their nails don't hit the ground.

Edited by cleptogrey

Once you can get to filing or dremeling, what works best, fastest, is to do them every day or at least every other day. Go all the way down to the quick each time. If you're doing it every day, that'll be just a swipe across the surface and done. Bevel the edges of the cut surface a little so the cut surface with the quick is what will hit the ground first. In my experience, it takes about 3 weeks to see results (receding quick) that way -- don't give up too soon. And DO do your level best to make it a nice experience for the dog -- an extra person to deliver ear rubs, some peanutbutter, lots of "Good dog!", whatever works.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Going against the grain here --if these nails are as long as described I would cut to the chase and make an appointment with your vet to have a tight sedation admin and have them cut the nails back. Less stress on your hound and then you will be able to keep up with them weekly.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest MeAndMouse

Going against the grain here --if these nails are as long as described I would cut to the chase and make an appointment with your vet to have a tight sedation admin and have them cut the nails back. Less stress on your hound and then you will be able to keep up with them weekly.

I've had this done with a few dogs and am so glad I did. Well, I had their nails cut back while they were under for dentals. I was hesitant about it at first, worried that it would still be painful when they woke up... but I didn't notice any signs of pain.

Our boy came with rather long nails, and he hates getting them done by us, with the dremel or clippers. Anyone else, he is a perfect angel for...so I just hand over $10 every two or three weeks to the groomer down the street. It was been suggested to us that when our hound eventually comes due for a dental, that while he is under, the vet can cut the nails way back with a laser, cauterizing the quick, if we are still having trouble keeping the nails short. It might be worth if if your dog's nails are as extreme in length as it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this, I was nervous about it, but it really helped and Leo had no trouble with being sedated. We've made so much progress with Leo letting him handle his feet since they ground them back as far as possible. I would suggest pain extra to have them dremel if possible, because they can safely go further.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.