Desi In Hospital

Desi has been in hospital since Monday. To add to the woe, tomorrow is his 12th birthday.

He's fallen a few times the past couple of weeks....suspected LS. He fell again Sunday evening, off the ramp

from the vehicle. Monday, right rear foot/ankle very hot,swollen, non weight bearing, and with the left rear

weak as well, we were in trouble. Had a neighbor help me get him loaded Mon.morning and we were off to work

at the vet clinic. With his history of clots, drs concerned; we made an appointment for an ultrasound at OSU

for Tuesday. He stayed at the clinic, on IV & serious antibiotics Mon night.

Tuesday ultrasound: Dr. Langston at OSU went over his history (he was in ICU at OSU in Feb 2013 for clots)

and told me we'd likely find clots in that leg. Hours & hours later, I get good news/bad news. Good news -

no sign of clots, even on his spleen, which had many small clots last year. Bad news - they found a pocket of

pus in his foot, most likely an infection from one of the many small abrasions he has on his legs from falling

more frequently in the past couple of weeks. Put him on 2 kinds of antibiotics immediately, and sent in a culture.

More bad news - the weakness in his rear seems to be caused by an "atypical bridging" between last vertebrae &

tail. Dr. Langston said it was atypical in that the bridging had lots of pointy, spur looking places that were

probably causing his pain/weakness. And that it might even be an "aggressive lesion" but that could only be

determined by a CT or MRI. I decided not to do the more advanced imaging, partly because of the $, but also

because I didn't think it would change my choice of treatment. I don't think I could put him through surgery

at this point. So, steroids are recommended for that, but not until the "pus pocket" in his foot is totally

controlled.

He's been staying at my clinic all week....I've been spending 12 hour days there doing my regular job, plus

taking care of him. Foot is less swollen today, and he managed to hobble all the way around the building (with

help from a sling). I ordered an 8 foot ramp for my suv, which has a much less steep incline (but is a beast to

set up & load). Since tomorrow is his birthday, for cryin out loud, I want him HOME. I'm going to take him

"out for lunch" tomorrow & see if I can get him to do the ramp, in and out. If not.....I'll have to leave him

there until he's stronger. Please think of us tomorrow & hope I can get my big man home where he belongs.

I took a bunch of pictures of him the last sunny day we had...to post for his birthday, but since the sh*t hit

the fan, they're still on the camera. So here's one from better days.

VMP_46831.jpg

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Lots and lots of hugs, for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor Desi. I'm sorry to hear this. An infection like that from a booboo has been on my I'm-paranoid-and-afraid-of-it list for a while now. (Robin just got off antibiotics for a pretty bad booboo that was starting to get infected...)

Hugs for your old man, from mine!

Cathy & Robin

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

:grouphug x a million

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:wub: What an enchanting, beautiful face.

More hugs for Desi. One of my big angel boys fell off a car ramp once. He had a sweet and loving face like Desi. Fell off and went down like a sack of rocks. I felt just terrible. The guilt still remains. :cry1

Wishing the sun and moon and bright shiny stars for your boy. A Halloween pupper! Happy birthday Desi! :kiss2

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Sending healing thoughts for your sweet boy. Hope he's home soon.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hope Desi is better and home for his birthday.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

It's today, sweet boy. Happy 12th Birthday, Des-man :kiss2

:goodluck that you are home tonight with your mom.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.