Disoriented After Dental Surgery

I have always had some disorientation in my Greys after surgery. My girl had her dental today and the first time this vet performed a dental on her. In fact, one of the vet technicians actually did it as I found out later. She was under a general IV and a respirator. She pooped and urinated very well. She ate a small amount of food and very little water. She answers to her name. However, she looks a little out if it. She knows her way around, but walks slower and just a tiny bit off center. Just the slightest. Her eyes still have that anesthesiology look to them just a little bit. She looks just a little confused in the house now that it is night. She is in her bed beside my bed now and laying peacefully but eyes open. No whimpering or whining. I am thinking it is just part of the post procedure recovery. Vet prescribed 500 mg of amoxicillin twice a day.

I don't remember any of my other Greys being a little out of it this long. She had the procedure around 11 this morning. it is 10 pm now. She is pretty normal for alertness, but since it has been night, the disorientation is more visible to me.

Thanks so much, tbhounds. she is sleeping soundly now and her breathing is calm and normal and peaceful. I think she was just going through the after effects of the anesthesia. However, I will contact vet about the type of anesthesia administered. Sophie is a sweet girl and a trooper.

I will post tomorrow.

Also ask about painkillers; was she given something, and if so, what?

This happened with my Sid when he had the two teeth right at the back of his top jaw removed. He was given Vetergesic and he was SO out of it and disoriented and just plain paranoid that the vet thought he'd had a stroke. He'd run away from us up the garden in the dark and just stay there shaking - something he never did normally. He never even stays out without someone there with him normally. He didn't eat well, he didn't rest properly.

Turned out he is super-sensitive to Vetergesic. He was given it again after spleen surgery but we were ready for it and managed him better - and got him off the stuff quicker. ;)

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Timely. Benny was under yesterday. He's ten in February. He was ok but a little dopey last night. Walked well but was subdued this morning, came to work with me today just in case. A little 'off' but generally ok and tonight he seems all good again. If just took him a little while.

I'm glad she is feeling more like herself. When Doc has been put under I have always found he is initially a bit woozy and sorry for himself - never wants any dinner either, just a good night's sleep. After that he has always been much better, but it may still take up to 24 hours for all effects to wear off and him be completely back to normal. Any problems after that length of time and I would definitely be calling the vet for advice.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Thanks so much, everyone. She is much more alert today. She ate her breakfast just fine and did not seem to have nay issues eating it. She is drinking her water. She had a nice poop session and is urinating very well. She is doing her normal rounds about the house looking out the windows over her territory. She is just a tiny bit slower going down the stairs. She doesn't run up and down, but she carefully walks up and down. That "anesthesia" look in her eyes is gone today. I would say a 97 percent recovery rate.

But her teeth are nice and white and nice breath. I did get a dental wash for her as well as the usual rubber finger brush for her teeth. I wont brush for several days in case she is sensitive.