Crated While We're At Work During The Day

Guest GreytMom15

Guest Lygracilux

A basket muzzle smeared with some peanut butter would definitely not scare Biscuit ;)

Hed eventually try and get it off, but give up after abit.

I think you said you didn't want to crate one dog and not the other - I crate one of my hounds but not the other one. Since my girl hound LOVES her crate, she doesn't seem bothered at all that I crate her and not him. As a matter of fact, just yesterday I decided to muzzle them both and leave her out of the crate to see how that went. She went to her crate and appeared to stay there while I was gone anyway. So if your one hound needs crated but the other doesn't, why not just leave that one out ? Unless the crated one puts up a fuss if it sees the other one out of the crate, then that's different.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest GreytMom15

A basket muzzle smeared with some peanut butter would definitely not scare Biscuit ;)

Hed eventually try and get it off, but give up after abit.

:nod

I think you said you didn't want to crate one dog and not the other - I crate one of my hounds but not the other one. Since my girl hound LOVES her crate, she doesn't seem bothered at all that I crate her and not him. As a matter of fact, just yesterday I decided to muzzle them both and leave her out of the crate to see how that went. She went to her crate and appeared to stay there while I was gone anyway. So if your one hound needs crated but the other doesn't, why not just leave that one out ? Unless the crated one puts up a fuss if it sees the other one out of the crate, then that's different.

That's a possibility. Maybe it's just ME who would mind it! LOL Might be worth a try!

As someone who is with Greyhounds 24/7, my suggestion is to try different options until you discover what works best for your situation. We've often needed to crate only one dog in a pack whether it was a new foster, or one of our own (in crate or secured ex-pen) for sleep/space guarding issues, cat safety, etc. Baby-gating the same room allows dogs to keep each other company, even if only one dog is crated.

If traveling, we crate several (or all) unsupervised dogs for their own safety, and to avoid damage to an unfamiliar vacation home. We're careful to provide elimination outings every 4 hours, but 5-6 hours would be okay for some hounds. Many hounds can't hold urine or bowl as long as others, especially if newly adopted hounds are feeling anxious or excited. Our hounds average 6-7 elimination outings per day, but one hound would have done fine with 5 outings during younger years.

The key to basket muzzles is so dogs can pant, drink water, etc.

Please be careful to not leave a cat roaming free in the house when left unsupervised with a non-muzzled, non-crated new dog. If Greyhound is left free in baby-gated room, cat is safer behind a fully closed door. A muzzled dog can still harm a cat either through a muzzle or by a playful pounce.

Edited by 3greytjoys

:nod

That's a possibility. Maybe it's just ME who would mind it! LOL Might be worth a try!

Yes, I sometimes feel bad that I crate one and not the other but I really believe I'm the only one who minds, lol! When I muzzled them both and left her uncrated, I felt bad for Marlow having to wear the muzzle just so she could stay out of the crate - can't win! :)

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

You need to really try to stop assuming they feel and think like people. They are actually DOGS, and your mixed breed will not be laying in the crate thinking, "Oh my GOD! They Greyhound is on the couch. Mommy doesn't love me as much!" Believe me!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest OPointyDog

As someone who is with Greyhounds 24/7, my suggestion is to try different options until you discover what works best for your situation.

Yes, this! It varies from dog to dog and from situation to situation. Ours two greys are crated all day when we are at work - one prefers it that way and the other is so destructive that he can't be left out for his own safety (Finds things. Tears them up. Eats them.). I used to feel terrible about it since we hadn't crated our previous dog, but then when I stay home with them during the day, they do nothing but sleep anyway, sometimes without moving for 8 hours. Sometimes our female will just go hang out in her crate - it's her spot and she feels safe in there. And I've found if I try leaving her free to roam when no one is home, she gets anxious and cries and barks. In her crate, she's quiet. Go figure.

So do what you think is best for your own situation - and if possible, try things out for shorter periods first and build up to it. If you decide to try leaving her out - maybe leave Punzie out to roam while you go to the grocery store or to run some errands for an hour or two? See how it goes before building up to longer times.

Guest GreytMom15

You need to really try to stop assuming they feel and think like people. They are actually DOGS, and your mixed breed will not be laying in the crate thinking, "Oh my GOD! They Greyhound is on the couch. Mommy doesn't love me as much!" Believe me!

Well said! And it made me laugh too! :)

Yes, this! It varies from dog to dog and from situation to situation. Ours two greys are crated all day when we are at work - one prefers it that way and the other is so destructive that he can't be left out for his own safety (Finds things. Tears them up. Eats them.). I used to feel terrible about it since we hadn't crated our previous dog, but then when I stay home with them during the day, they do nothing but sleep anyway, sometimes without moving for 8 hours. Sometimes our female will just go hang out in her crate - it's her spot and she feels safe in there. And I've found if I try leaving her free to roam when no one is home, she gets anxious and cries and barks. In her crate, she's quiet. Go figure.

So do what you think is best for your own situation - and if possible, try things out for shorter periods first and build up to it. If you decide to try leaving her out - maybe leave Punzie out to roam while you go to the grocery store or to run some errands for an hour or two? See how it goes before building up to longer times.

Thanks! A good idea to try Biscuit crated and Punzie out while I run to the store.

Going off topic a bit: I don't attribute human emotions to my dog, but I do think dogs have dog emotions and desires. Did you ever give one of your hounds a treat and not the other one? Was dog #2 happy about that? Did you ever take one dog for a walk and leave the other one at home? I bet dog #2 expressed displeasure.

I have only one dog but if I'm headed out with the car and she's not going, she lets me know she's not happy by whining just a little and running around the house before dramatically plopping on her bed and ignoring me. Those are emotions.

However, I don't think that leaving one dog in a crate -- a dog who is used to the crate -- while the other one is not crated would be a problem.

Edited by Feisty49