Raw Skin

Guest Atlas

Hey all! I'm new to the forum and a brand new greyhound owner, so sorry if this has been answered! I adopted Atlas this weekend, a beautiful male brindle. After a few nights in the crate, which he seems to love, a few raw skin patches have appeared. It seems this is from him lying in (what seems to us as) the most uncomfortable positions possible in his crate. I think the bars in the crate have rubbed his skin and fur off. These raw patches (think rug burn), which are dime-nickel size, seem like they would really burn/hurt, but he carries on as if nothing is wrong when I wash it with warm water and soap, and put on antibacterial cream.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this, and knows any solutions or how to treat them. A few thoughts I've had, are 1) is his skin more fragile based on a poorer diet-ie will this get better in a few weeks as I feed him a better more nutritious diet? 2) I've cut a blanket in half and tied both halves lengthwise to the bottom quarter of the crate. 3) is there a quick way to heal these? How long for the hair to grow back?

Thanks for any advice! This has been a wonderful resource to browse and learn about my new family member.

Here is a pic of the larger sore. You can see a red line from the crate where it has rubbed his skin raw

image_zps673374f2.jpg

Here is a pic of him face-planting into the crate and leaving half of it open. He also does this with his back and legs. I have since tied the towels to the bottom, but this will give you an idea of how he is sleeping.

image_zpsdb25bf0a.jpg

Edited by Atlas

I'm no expert because Annie (knock on wood) doesn't get cuts or bruises like this. If she did, and the injury was in a place she couldn't lick and it wasn't too open/gooey/icky, I'd put neosporin (or something like it) on it.

Oh and welcome! Atlas is a great looking dog.

Thanks a bunch! We did put some neosporin on it and it seems to be getting better. Looks worse than it is I think. We are also looking for a more permanent solution for the crate. I think lining it with towels will have to work for now. Thanks for your reply!

Guest Scouts_mom

Is there a reason why he needs to be crated? If he is hurting himself in the crate, I would suggest that you think about using baby gates to keep him where you want him.

Is there a reason why he needs to be crated? If he is hurting himself in the crate, I would suggest that you think about using baby gates to keep him where you want him.

He goes into the crate by himself, and seems to prefer it as his "safe place." We don't want to take that away from him 3 days after adopting him. Over time, we hope to wean him off of it, and use it only when necessary, but I wouldn't dare do this during the first week let alone first 3 days.

The towels on the bottom have worked, as well, so he hasn't had any issues the past two days which is great.

Guest AimeeBee

You can make "bumpers" (like on a baby crib) out of thin foam and fabric. The ones I'm thinking of come partway up the crate sides/back and tie or velcro in place. This may alleviate some of the rubbing. Maybe make the bottom of the crate a little cushier as well if he's spending a lot of time in it? In the past I've cut an old eggcrate mattress topper to fit and wrapped some blankets around so they could nest.

I don't think diet has too terribly much to do with it. Some greys are just thinner skinned/furred than others, unfortunately.

You can make "bumpers" (like on a baby crib) out of thin foam and fabric. The ones I'm thinking of come partway up the crate sides/back and tie or velcro in place. This may alleviate some of the rubbing. Maybe make the bottom of the crate a little cushier as well if he's spending a lot of time in it? In the past I've cut an old eggcrate mattress topper to fit and wrapped some blankets around so they could nest.

I don't think diet has too terribly much to do with it. Some greys are just thinner skinned/furred than others, unfortunately.

Great advice! We actually bought Sherpa material from a fabric store and will line the sides with that. It's soft and thick and arches the pad we have on the bottom :)

Also, good to know about their skin. We were at the vet today and he said the same thing!

He goes into the crate by himself, and seems to prefer it as his "safe place." We don't want to take that away from him 3 days after adopting him. Over time, we hope to wean him off of it, and use it only when necessary, but I wouldn't dare do this during the first week let alone first 3 days.

The towels on the bottom have worked, as well, so he hasn't had any issues the past two days which is great.

I smiled when I read that not only do you like the crate because your boy does, but you wouldn't dare take it away the first week let alone the first 3 days.

There are many of us, me among them, who never used a crate. I had a crate. My group told me to get one, and it made sense to me. I made Annie go into it the first day. She *hated* it. She would go in because from day #1 of adoption, she's been pretty compliant and I insisted, but she'd hang her head, she'd drag her feet, she'd walk away before returning, she'd stop in the doorway. It broke my heart. So I pretty much I said to myself, "Screw the crate. She hates it." On day #2 post adoption, I stopped making her go into the crate, though I left it up with the door open, and everything was fine with Annie. My cat, though, loved the crate and made a nice bed for herself in it. I wasn't going to leave a big crate up for the cat, so by the end of the first week of adoption, the crate was put away and hasn't been out since.

Some dogs just don't need a crate but they may like to use them, having the option to go in or not because the door is always left open.

Edited by Feisty49

take everything out of the crate, including the pan and check it over thoroughly. to me it looks like a broken bar or a sharp edge.also check the clips and the door, it may not be aligning properly. if he rubs up against the top and there is a rough edge he could have snagged it on that. my dog loves his crate and bumps to top with his back. also check the pan if it's metal as well. make sure the clips that hold the front and back are secure and in place.

if you don't find anything physical then he ripped his skin on something else- maybe the something in the yard? triple antibiotic ointment- just a couple of times and air and time- around 6 weeks for healing. do watch it, i don't think it looks like an area that needs to be stapled, but if it can be it will heal in 2-3 weeks top. your vet will know and 2 -4 staples will make a dart and fast healing.

beautiful pup- enjoy!

I smiled when I read that not only do you like the crate because your boy does, but you wouldn't dare take it away the first week let alone the first 3 days.

There are many of us, me among them, who never used a crate. I had a crate. My group told me to get one, and it made sense to me. I made Annie go into it the first day. She *hated* it. She would go in because from day #1 of adoption, she's been pretty compliant and I insisted, but she'd hang her head, she'd drag her feet, she'd walk away before returning, she'd stop in the doorway. It broke my heart. So I pretty much I said to myself, "Screw the crate. She hates it." On day #2 post adoption, I stopped making her go into the crate, though I left it up with the door open, and everything was fine with Annie. My cat, though, loved the crate and made a nice bed for herself in it. I wasn't going to leave a big crate up for the cat, so by the end of the first week of adoption, the crate was put away and hasn't been out since.

Some dogs just don't need a crate but they may like to use them, having the option to go in or not because the door is always left open.

I smiled when you wrote that I said I liked the crate. I didn't. I said Atlas liked it. I've never used a crate, and prefer not to. I took the crate away, and Atlas was restless and whined when I left him. He doesn't do this with it. At all.

This wasn't a post about whether I should crate or not. I've made that decision. It was rather a post about what I can do to help bars rubbing into his skin. I did in fact check everywhere and there were no broken bars and the pan was fine. It was honestly him putting his whole weight into the thin bars that did this.

I have since purchased the Sherpa material and lines the crate about a foot from the bottom. His skin has improved and there are no further injuries. If anyone is interested I can post a picture! He seems to love it. Not me. Him ;)