Infrequent Urinating Compared To Our Goldendoodle

Guest GreytMom15

Guest GreytMom15

Hello! I introed on Oct 17 and adopted out first greyhound on Wednesday. She's been an angel and seems to be settling in almost perfectly. She only had one pee accident but it really was my fault because I didn't let her out immediately after letting her out of her crate. No accidents since! My question is regarding the infrequency of her urinating compared to our other dog. Is it common for her not to urinate first thing in the morning? The last time was last night at 10:00. This morning she pooed but still no pee and it is now just past noon. I should mention that for the time being she is leashed for potty breaks. We're planning on fencing in our yard in the spring. TIA!

Not overly unusual, epsecially for a new hound. She may not be used to pottying on-leash, and it might take a bit for her to go - either time or a longer walk. If you can find a place where other dogs have peed she might be encouraged to follow suit. As long as she's staying hydrated, I wouldn't worry too much. Though if she stops drinking all together, that could indicate a vet-worthy problem.

I once had a greyhound go three days without peeing because it was raining buckets outside. I thought for sure we'd have to go to the vet, but she did eventually go.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Mine can hold his pee forever. He will rarely go in the backyard, even in the morning. I have to take him for a walk around the neighbourhood, or he will hold it forever. Kind of annoying at times when I just want him to go quickly in the yard!

Rocket has held it in excess of 18 hours because he was just being stubborn. Nothing surprises me any more.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest GreytMom15

Thank you Greysmom! She's definitely drinking. She gets a cup of water each in her morning and dinner feedings plus she goes to the water dish as normal. I try to lead her to wear our goldendoodle goes so she can smell his too. She doesn't show any other signs of problems so I'm not too worried. When she does go though, I swear she could fill a gallon milk jug! LOL

And thanks to all of your replies! I'm sure she'll settle into a "routine" but I'll try not to worry too much if she decides to hold it for a bit.

For a greyhound, that's probably enough water for a day. Just another instance of the breed's weird physical make-up.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Normally, most Greyhounds do need to urinate upon awakening in the morning. Many newly retired racers are shy about eliminating while being leash walked in a new city neighborhood environment. (They're used to fenced turn-out pens at racing kennels and farms.) It may help to temporarily securely knot two leashes together to offer your hound a little extra space to eliminate. Initially, it helps to turn away while hound is eliminating. She'll learn soon, then you could go back to using a single leash. (Of course, while walking it's safer to hold excess leash to prevent tripping.)

I think elimination frequency can vary from dog to dog. Of the pair with me now, Spirit has to pee all the time--I swear some evenings I let him out every 20 minutes. MoMo, on the other hand, pees enough to be healthy but when she asks to go out, she's as likely to be wanting to sunbathe as to pee, and often doesn't even leave the deck to potty before asking to come back in.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I have a dog door, but I did notice how infrequently Rudy went out to relieve himself compared to my other dogs. He seems to hold it forever and then when he does go out he will pee for what seems like 5 minutes! On walks he will go more often to mark, but I have definitely noticed he does not drink as much and does not go out as much as my non-grey dogs have.