Convenia ?

Guest IrskasMom

Guest IrskasMom

Morty , as I have stated in another Thread ,that he had a Dental. Now , I was telling my Vet how horrible it is to give him Medication . Since he had severly inflamed Gums . I asked about an Antibiotic Injection. My Vet gave Morty a Longterm Antibiotic Injection , that stays about 12 to 14 Days in the Body . I would like to hear from others , who received this Medication , or what you think about this.

Edited by IrskasMom

It's more commonly used with kitties as many are horrible if not impossible to medicate--they're also smaller--Convenia is so darn expensive. IMO it's not really the most appropriate antibiotic to target oral bacteria but, when it's difficult at best to medicate your hound it's really the only other feasible option.

No experience with it in greyhounds, Ed's vet gave it to his senior Boston Terrier several times and it really screwed up his digestive system for the rest of his life. I discussed it with my vet, she said she would never give it to any dog. I hope Morty does ok with it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest OPointyDog

I've used it for both a cat and my male greyhound. Apparently for many animals it's supposed to be easier on their digestive system, since it doesn't target the bacteria that live in the gut. Our poor cat used to get terrible diarrhea and ended up with infections around her anus because of the usual antibiotics after a dental - so we gave convenia a try, and had no side effects. No more infections, no more terrible diarrhea. It was amazing.

Our male greyhound has had serious intestinal absorption issues and is on a prescription food to control chronic diarrhea. With his food, he's fine, but antibiotics really do a number on him and can cause terrible diarrhea. So after his dental in February I asked if they could try convenia with him. Given the great results with our cat, our vet was willing to give it a try. It was incredibly expensive for a dog-sized dose (around $150) but he had no GI side effects. Totally worth it in my eyes not to have his gut all messed up again.

Convenia is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic. I mostly use it in cats and small dogs, but mostly because of cost. As others have mentioned, it gets very expensive for larger dogs, but I've had some owners who still elected to go with the one-time injection rather than having to struggle with pills every day. I've only seen good results with it, and haven't had any patients (either dogs or cats) develop digestive problems after getting it.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

I really Thank you all for your Input . On an Detailed Bill ,the Injection was $ 106 with a Rebate Coupon for $ 30 . I was very concerned about this Medicine as I read up some serious Side Effects in Kitties. Morty is doing fine this Morning He had a Epulis Removal as stated on the Bill , but I have No Clue what that is?? Maybe you can clue me in .

An epulis is a tumor on the gum.....usually benign. The dental guy at my clinic always takes them off,

sometimes sending to the lab for histopathology, sometimes not. Taking a small one is usually no big deal.

They can grow to be big & yucky, which is why he takes them off during a dental, whether they are causing

problems at the time, or not. We usually don't give Convenia injections to large dogs, just because it is

so expensive. So glad Morty is doing well this morning.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Glad to hear Morty did well with his dental. :)

An epulis is a common tumor like mass, usually benign. I imagine your vet if he didn't send it off for biopsy was confident it was not cancerous. Chase had a growth removed at his last dental and the only reason my vet sent it off for biopsy is because of the coloration he was suspicious of it being melanoma. It turned at to be benign though.

Guest IrskasMom

You Guys rock and give me Answers . I Thank you for it . :)

I pretty soon have to take a second Mortgage out on my Morty .Could this severe Plaque be another Part of a poor Immune System as I think to his Eye Problems ??? Or has this absolute Nothing to do with each other.

I LOVE this Boy . My Commitment to him is to give him the best of Life and LOVE.

Edited by IrskasMom

Hi Erika, I was going to tell you about the rebate offered, but see you already know about that. I'd read some very negative things about convenia AFTER I'd gotten it for Polly, and my cat Lily, who has stomatitis (spelling?). But it worked wonders for both of them. The literature says it is mainly for skin conditions, but we found it was the only thing that really helped their mouths, and in my sweet angel Polly's case, various other infections that she seemed to acquire, like in her paw, and less often, the vulva. And we tried her on so many meds that upset her stomach, and she wouldn't eat, so the convenia was the answer for more than one reason. I always thought she had autoimmune problems too.

It is SO expensive, but I know you would do whatever you need to do for your precious boy. I do wonder why it's so expensive, though.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest IrskasMom

I have to give an Update on Morty . Since Friday , my Morty is a changed Dog . He is more lively and eats every bit of his Breakfast and Dinner as before maybe Breakfast , maybe Dinner , maybe nothing . I belief this Antibiotc Injection ( Convenia ) has healed his Gums and he feels much better. It's amazing .

Edited by IrskasMom

Good boy Morty!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest OPointyDog

That's great to hear!

Coincidentally, our Mika ended up getting an injection today of Convenia - he managed to break off one of his teeth last night, and so is having dental surgery tomorrow. We had great luck with that antibiotic with his dental in March, so hoping it works for him again.

What's the story with the rebate? Is the coupon online?

• 11 months later...
Guest Ralworth

Please don't take a chance with Convenia, if a vet tries to tell you it's safe, don't listen. If you google the name you will see that cats (it's mainly used in feral cats) & dogs are dropping dead. It's only tested for deep skin lacerations but vets use it for off market purposes regularly, mainly because it has such a short shelf life (like 55 days) so if they don't use it, they lose money. Most dogs/cats drop dead within a month, I was lucky mine lasted 45 days. Convenia is a third class cephlasporin and it's the most common drug to cause animals to go into Drug Induced Hemolyctic Anemia which is the same as Immune Mediated Hemolyctic Anemia. When you bring your dog home he will hardly be able to walk, it's horrible and very dangerous! There's much safer antibiotics, and this antibiotic comes in oral form anyway. Convenia stays in the dogs/cats system for 65 days and so if your animal gets sick from it, there's no turning back. The death rate for IMHA is up to 70%. Just say NO to Convenia and please realize that the medical system including veternarian care is corrupt and so trust no doctor, research everything before giving to your dog or cat. Just google the medication and see what you see just to be on the safe side, if I would have done that, my love would still be here.

Edited by Ralworth

Guest Ralworth

Believe what you want, I'm not here to try and convince you, I'm just stating facts, if you want to take a chance with your cat or dog, that's your business, but I hope that you will do a little independent researching before doing so. It may work ok in a animal that's not sick and just has deep cuts in his/her skin, which is what it was made for, but I do not suggest giving it to a sick cat or dog, it's too much! if you actually use this deadly drug, you must give a probiotic twice a day.

Edited by Ralworth

I've had several cats given Convenia. When it's a choice between an injectable or me being shredded, I go with injectable every time. Ralworth, you really need to back up your assertions with some hard data. I refuse to believe that my vet would use a drug as "deadly" as you claim. 70% death rate??? And you seriously are suggesting that our "corrupt" vets would use it anyway?? And kill their own patients?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've had several cats given Convenia. When it's a choice between an injectable or me being shredded, I go with injectable every time. Ralworth, you really need to back up your assertions with some hard data. I refuse to believe that my vet would use a drug as "deadly" as you claim. 70% death rate??? And you seriously are suggesting that our "corrupt" vets would use it anyway?? And kill their own patients?

Exactly. This is why I posted the way I did. There are many drugs on the market-both in the human and veterinary field that many people can make claims against. I think the latest internet buzz was the claim that triflexis kiiled your pets. On he human side there are now revised warnings about Tylenol. The list can go on.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about Ralworths post was the accusation that vets were using Convenia for financial benefit--ouch!

Exactly. This is why I posted the way I did. There are many drugs on the market-both in the human and veterinary field that many people can make claims against. I think the latest internet buzz was the claim that triflexis kiiled your pets. On he human side there are now revised warnings about Tylenol. The list can go on.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about Ralworths post was the accusation that vets were using Convenia for financial benefit--ouch!

Exactly! Why would my vet deliberately kill my cat, thus depriving her of a patient!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck