Heartworm Meds

:gh_run2We have 2 greys and have always gotten our heartworm med from the vet. Called today to get current pricing and was a little shocked bythe price. They sell it by the pill $22.68 each, we usually get 2 box, 6 tablets each. We use Sentinel and don't want to change.

I have a Foster & Smith catalog and I can get the 12 tablet box for $89.88, this is a huge difference. Does anyone get their meds from

Foster & Smith. These are not our first greys and looking to save a little, since it is such a big price difference between them.

Appreciate your input.

Just a heads up, this topic can get pretty controversial. :)

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I get a lot of my prescription meds from F&S, including heartworm and deramaxx. My vet encourages clients to do on line research as they cannot supply the meds as inexpensively as some vendors. I also get antibiotics, eye drops and vitamins at Walmart. I am not sure why this topic is controversial.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm not bashing F&S, but 1800 petmeds will price match with Drs F&S and sometimes have better deals on shipping. I order from both depending on who has the best deal. The nice thing about 1880PM is they will contact your vet for the prescription. Also check prices at California Pharmacy. My vet approves of all three of these online sources.

That is an insane price!!!!!! I'd definitely be shopping elsewhere. I get my Heartgard from 1-800-Pet-Meds. It works out to be around $8.50 a pill when you buy a year's supply. Heartgard has a generic now, called Iverhart Plus, that's even cheaper ($7 a pill).

I've ordered from Australia for 15 years with no problems. No script needed and free shipping. One year I ordered from KV or Foster and Smith on the same day as AU. The meds from AU arrived here first. My vet is totally aware of it.

I just ordered 6 months of Heartgard for each dog (one medium and one large). It was $66 with free shipping.

Exact same thing on F&S was $83.88 and $70.58 at KV...did not look into shipping costs.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My vet's not fond of Pet Meds--had trouble with them in the past, I think--but has no problem with F&S. I get a written prescription from my vet, order on line, then mail the written prescription to F&S. I get Advantage Multi for my guys (oral meds make my girl sick), and my vet doesn't carry that one.

Just be careful about ordering from overseas. Some of those sites may have bogus or expired meds.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have ordered for many years from here wiith no problems and we have never received expired meds either. I have called a couple of times also, and the gal was very nice, weird accent though ;) and she confirmed the expire dates over the phone for me.

PetsMegaStore

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Like Wendy I am a Petsmegastore fan.

BTW - the only bogus meds that I have ever received were from California. I ordered from there once based on a rave recommendation from another GT. The California Veterinary board, the attorney general and two detectives have contacted me. I cannot believe they are still in business sending out human drugs without a script. My one and only order was for Advantage and Bayer was all over that

http://fleastuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST&Store_Code=F

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I've used them, but I prefer 1800PetMeds because they're a LOT faster. My vet has no problem with me getting prescriptions filled elsewhere. If she did, I'd find a new vet. If they won't price match, you have every right to save $$. Never forget that you are the vet's customer. If they're not treating you right, there are plenty of vets out there.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Does your vet not give a price break when you buy the whole box? Maybe call and double check the price, just in case the person who took your call gave the wrong info. I find it odd that a clinic would only sell it by the pill. We sell it by the individual tablet too, but the box is significantly less expensive than buying 6 single doses. Explain the situation to your vet and ask if they will price match. You may need to talk to the vet directly, and not the receptionist.

Keep in mind that if you buy heartworm preventatives from your vet, most of the manufacturers will guarantee their product and pay for treatment if the dog ever comes up positive for heartworms or intestinal worms. You don't get that benefit when you buy online. Also, purchasing from your vet will help them keep other prices down and support local business - similar to why people are encouraged to shop at local small businesses, instead of national chains. Of course, I do understand the need to save money and look for alternatives if your vets' prices aren't reasonable.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg