Three Legged Lame, Hot, And Small Swelling

Guest Wasabi303

Guest Wasabi303

Went to visit a friend's ranch today, brought Wasabi along. She was running around having a great time exploring the completely fenced ranch. I let her out of my sight for a few minutes after watching her play for an hour or so, and came back outside to a dog standing on three legs. I checked for injury, hind leg just below the hock was swelling up and hot, but she didn't mind me touching it. Carried her inside and iced for about an hour, then we drove home. She refuses to put weight on it and it is still hot and slightly swollen. Rubbed leg with witch hazel and wrapped in an ace bandage to keep the swelling down over night. I think she just sprained it, but I am nervous because she keeps hopping around.

Should I take her to the vet in the morning or give it a couple days and see what happens?

(I am a college student on a budget, which is why I did not take her in right away. I will obviously spend whatever she needs, but I thought I would ask for advice first. You all have saved me $ in the past. I also have 15+ years experience with equine veterinary medicine, I know how to wrap a leg/ treat minor injuries.)

Edited by Wasabi303

If she's not putting weight on it in the morning, I'd go to the vet. These guys are stoic about actual injuries; they just turn all hypochondriac over nail trims.

Among other considerations, if you wait a day or two and she's not doing better, then you're looking at trying to get vet care on the weekend or waiting until Monday. I'd rather see my regular vet when it isn't an actual emergency than deal with a strange vet later.

P.S. Make sure the wrap isn't too tight. Feel her toes. If they are cold, the wrap probably is too tight.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Wasabi303

7e8WupIl.jpg

This is what I woke up to this morning. Headed to vet right now, not at all what it looked like last night, swelling has increased 10 fold. Sorry for the crappy pic, that is the inside of her hind leg.

Guest MeAndMouse

I just came across this while looking up something else... no idea if this is what Wasabi has, but the swelling below the hock seemed consistent:

"Some racing greyhounds have had old racing injuries that can flare up from time to time. One of the most common injuries is a fractured central tarsal bone. This will present as a swelling just below the right ankle (hock). This condition is normally chronic and by the time they reach a pet home there is little that can be done to correct 4 the problem. These dogs may benefit from Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplementation but may need stronger medications in some circumstances to keep them comfortable. "

That's from here.

OMG I hope she's OK :(

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Aside from a possible traumatic injury I would be concerned of a possible snakebite. Obviously vet visit is warranted if the swelling/pain persists.

:nod:nod

I'd advise taking to the vet as a matter of urgency to get that swelling and any possible infection under control.

Guest Wasabi303

vNasQH3l.jpg

Wasabi Update: Went to the vet, got this blurry x-ray, decided to go to emergency vet clinic instead.

"Some racing greyhounds have had old racing injuries that can flare up from time to time. One of the most common injuries is a fractured central tarsal bone. This will present as a swelling just below the right ankle (hock). This condition is normally chronic and by the time they reach a pet home there is little that can be done to correct 4 the problem. These dogs may benefit from Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplementation but may need stronger medications in some circumstances to keep them comfortable. "

You are half right. She fractured her central tarsal bone. We have her in a splint and on anti-inflammatory meds for the weekend, and she is scheduled for orthopedic surgery first thing Monday morning. Hoping they only need to put in two screws, otherwise they have to fuse the whole joint.

nffXaFtl.jpg

Sad day for this dog.

Oh wow, what a day for you both. Wasabi's expression says it all. Glad you have some answers though. Hope you two have a restful, snuggly weekend and that all goes smoothly on Monday.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Wasabi303

Any tips for getting her to eat while she is in pain/sad? She has an extremely sensitive stomach, and one of the meds the vet said to only give with food.

Edited by Wasabi303

Guest Wasabi303

So the person who's ranch she was at when she got hurt has graciously started a fundraiser to help me pay for surgery. If you would like to help out or know anyone who would, please follow the link. Thank you so much for you support, monetary and otherwise.

http://gfwd.at/1wnZrj1

Ouch! Well, I'm not sure whether a snakebite or a fracture is a better dx - never having lived in 'snake country' - but I'm so sorry to hear she's fractured her hock. Hoping for the best for her!

It was a hock fracture that turned Sid into a tripod 7 years ago, but don't panic. His whole hock was a mass of small fractures apparently. The vet at the time said that it looked as if it had exploded. It's difficult to see on the x-ray but it looks as if it's just Wasabi's calcaneus which has a diagonal break? I believe it's the most common part to fracture in the hock and most do heal quite well.

I hope that they can fix her up with screws. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh doesn't she just look so sad!!!

Two years ago my Opal blew a tendon in her hock. It was not repairable, so they had to fuse her joint. The recovery was hard because it was summer and she loves her pool. I had to bring her to daycare for the 6 weeks she had on her splint because I work during the day and have a dog door. She's all healed now and with the exception of a slightly odd gait is fine.

Good luck with your surgery.

Guest Wasabi303

Thanks for all the well-wishes. I will be sure to let you all know how surgery goes on Monday. For now we are making it work. I live in the basement of the house I rent with friends, which means I have to carry all 66lbs of her up to go outside for potty breaks three times a day. I think I will be pretty buff by the time she heals! :lol

I think this whole experience will end up making us closer. She woke up at about 3:30 this morning crying, so I went and sat on her bed for about an hour, just petting her back to sleep. Upped her pain meds a little today, hopefully she will get through the night better. Still using chicken liver to get her to eat every meal, but I don't mind that.

Fingers crossed for a simple and clean surgery on Monday!