Kleptomaniac

Guest zrxmopar

Guest zrxmopar

Hello,

New to the forum and to greys. We have had Toby four weeks. He seams to be settling in nicely. He does have one crazy habit and I was wondering if it is normal or not. We have a large fenced in back yard. some times we will leave the back door open and let toby have free reign. If we are not watching he will steal anything he can get ahold of and drop it in the yard. He doesn't chew it he just leaves it. Phones, paper, tv remotes, everything.

Hello and :welcome2

We call it hording when they gather stuff. :beatheart This sounds like a slightly different version (taking things outside). Not all greys do it but is very common. Does he also gather stuff in his kennel or on his bed? I've learned to put things up or away that I don't want mine to "gather."

Edited by june

Guest zrxmopar

He does very occasionally bring shoes to his bed. but the outside thing he will do in a heartbeat. One morning my wife let him out and left the door open. fell asleep on the couch. when she got up the back yard was covered in out stuff. shoes, clothes, laptops, tablets, phones, tissue boxes, everything in the house he could reach. So we have had Toby proof.

I hate to say it, as you might disagree, but a hound with a hoarding habit is rather adorable!

One of my hounds, Luna, was a big time "collector" when she first came home. Sometimes just trying to find things around my house was like an Easter egg hunt. Since she didn't damage anything I wasn't too worried. As she settled into our environment, the hoarding slowly stopped, and a couple of months later, it disappeared all together. For a lot of hounds, suddenly being in a place where they have a ton of possessions to choose from is quite the novelty.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

He does very occasionally bring shoes to his bed. but the outside thing he will do in a heartbeat. One morning my wife let him out and left the door open. fell asleep on the couch. when she got up the back yard was covered in out stuff. shoes, clothes, laptops, tablets, phones, tissue boxes, everything in the house he could reach. So we have had Toby proof.

Welcome! You're new here ... we need photographic proof of this ^^ :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ben used to take shoes and gloves to his bed but stopped quickly once he was settled.

And the visual you painted of your backyard made me :rofl

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Just be careful, Henry's cute collecting habbit progressed to chewing and then to a $150 bill to fix my phone. Good thing the little bugger's so adorable :wub:

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Very common.

You might reconsider letting him have free access to the yard if you're not paying attention to him. I know a fenced yard is a beautiful thing, but you just got him. You don't know enough about his habits to trust him outdoors alone and unattended.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest normaandburrell

Iceman also progressed from stealing to eating objects. We seem to have it under control with more exercise and attention as well as better baby proofing of the house.

poppy would never do that!

i do have a left tennis shoe that mysteriously disappears about once a week or so (only at night) from it's normal place in the hallway and re-appears on her bed (unchewed) in the living room.

i think the place is haunted by a shoe fairy.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest tobytoby

Just be careful, Henry's cute collecting habbit progressed to chewing and then to a $150 bill to fix my phone. Good thing the little bugger's so adorable :wub:

Yes, the Note 3 and nexus 7 was what prompted this post. Toby doesn't chew, but picking electronics up will Crack the screens!

The cat did it.

Roflmao

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to GT! :) We'd love to see pictures of your handsome boy sometime soon.

Considering Toby's racing name is "WW Junkman" (seriously?! :wub: ), I'd keep the house (and yard) extra-tall-baby-proofed like crazy! He sounds like quite a busy, and entertaining character. :)

Several of our hounds are collectors. Since our house was already well doggie-proofed, the youngest enjoyed collecting bath mats, bath towels, and dog blankets. After increasing our "Tuffie Toy" collection, they began to focus their collections to their own favorite dog toys.

Iceman also progressed from stealing to eating objects. We seem to have it under control with more exercise and attention as well as better baby proofing of the house.

Good advice.

All of my hounds have been kleptomaniacs, at least at the beginning. They will steal anything that they can carry. I think the idea of having "things" around that they can collect intrigues them, even if they don't really have any particular interest in an object beyond obtaining it. Over time they have relaxed, and usually the only things they continue to collect are their own toys. Though every once in a while a random object goes missing, and the first thing we ask each other is, "Did you check the dog beds?"

Foster boy Jasper was the only one who was determined to take things outside. He would take toys and found objects out to the dog run and I was constantly rounding them up before they could get rained, snowed or peed on. Now that he is in his adoptive home he keeps doing it, mostly just with his own toys. Apparently at any given time you can look outside and see a herd of about 8 toys roaming the yard.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Welcome to GT! I've had several fosters that were hoarders. The worst was my very first grey, Sobe. I called him a "collector". He put EVERYTHING in his dogbed. Socks, shoes, remotes, purses, anything in the house - including a bottle of laundry soap - off the dryer. He collected EVERYTHING. It gave him comfort. We got better about putting things away - but anything loose - was fair game for him. Then - he got over it. He didn't NEED to collect so much. When we got fosters and they left toys outside - it resurfaced and he HAD to pick up all toys and put them in the house.

He mellowed out over time. It's a normal thing, some are worse than others. The good thing is if you're ever missing something - check the dogbed!