First Anniversary Of Millie's Death

MilliesMom

I can't believe it's been a year since we lost our dear Millie. It's finally time to throw out her food that's been sitting in a big bag. I simply wasn't ready to do it before. Sometimes it still hurts very, very deeply, yet most of the time now, I look back with a smile and think of how blessed we were to have her.

As fate would have it, our only child moved into the dorm at Arizona State University, today. I wanted him to wait until the next day, but now I'll always look at August 19th as being the day of big change in our lives.

Rest in peace, Mil, and Steven, don't do what I wouldn't do! (Well, what I wouldn't do NOW!!!) :lol:lol:lol

Guest ProudGreyMom

I'm so sorry for your loss. Time may have passed, but there will always be that spot in your heart for Millie. She's watching you from the Bridge and wagging her tail for sure.

Ah, maybe Millie will be watching over Steven extra closely now.

Hugs to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had the rest of her bag of dog food thrown out. I decided to keep the box that held her last dog bones and put remembrances of her in there with a nice bow on top.

It's odd: I look at pictures of greys, and I've gotten super-sensitive to any of them that look the least bit like her. Tonight I told my hubby that maybe our next dog should be a whippet rescue-- kind of like Millie but obviously not like Millie and one that I could lift into the car myself. Mil only weighed 43 pounds, but I've got a bad back, and in case of emergency, with the kid off at college, I'd like to be able to know that I could lift her up and take her to the vet's.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Time helps heal, but we never forget. I can appreciate your not having been able to dispose of even Millie's food bag. My beloved 19yo cat Tum passed away at the end of May this year and do you know I've only just thrown out a little plastic container I had filled with water and put next to his bed on his last night with us :( . Couldn't have done it straight away, couldn't bear to "clean away" all trace of him. And I just found another water dish from that night under a chest in our bedroom (Spring cleaning on the weekend) - haven't thrown this one out yet, thought I'd leave it until next Spring. I also have little collections of things: collars, favorite toy, for both of the cats we have lost in the last few years.

Hugs from all of us - and special kisses from Mum Girlie, my beautiful 10yo brood matron, who was so concerned and caring of both me and Tum on his last night.

• 2 weeks later...