Charley Horse In Dogs?

I just witnessed something a bit odd in my 7.5 y/o heart hound Luna. Luna is the zoomie queen. No matter how far we walk, at least once a day she'll work off her crazies and go nuts for a minute or two. This usually involves galloping around the house, attacking toys, creating a ruckus, and my using the VOG to say "no running in the house."

She just had one of such "episodes," but when she laid on her pillow exhausted at the end, her right triceps started to spasm. Her eyes got really big, and she whined a little bit, but I think it was more from being freaked out by what was happening to her than from pain. It lasted for less than a minute, and afterwards, I asked her to stand up so I could check her over, give her a gentle massage, and some reassurance that everything was okay. Immediately after, I offered her a cookie, she gobbled it right up, took a drink of water, and then pounced on another toy in the living room like everything was back to normal. As I type this, about 10 minutes after everything happened, she's crashed out on a pillow, breathing deeply.

Can dogs get charley horse type muscle spasms? I would assume that their muscle structure is similar to ours, so that is my best guess of what happened. I had never seen anything like it before, so it scared me as well. Has anyone ever experienced something similar? And is there anything I should watch out for in the next couple of days?

Thanks in advance!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Oh, golly, yes! Sam used to get leg cramps that would wake him screaming at 2am. That's a real heart-stopper.

Sam would go rigid and scream, generally half-standing, with much of his weight on the cramping leg. If I just tipped him over onto his side or if I lifted him to get his weight off his leg, he immediately got relief, relaxed, and went back to sleep within seconds. (Not so fast for me, though.)

Just thought I'd mention how I "fixed it"--in case Luna sometime has a cramp that's more painful.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kathy, I agree with you...this probably scared me a lot more than it did her. I'm hoping this won't happen again, but if it does, at least I'll be able to recognize it.

Thanks for the tips! If I am planning on taking them out for a run or for heavier exercise, I definitely make sure they have time to warm up. Unfortunately, Luna's indoor hijinks always happen out of the blue, so there's not much I can do there. My parents keep asking me when she's going to grow out of her zoomies (I think they wonder for the sake of their house, since we spend a couple of months there each year). I have a feeling she'll be one of those hounds that keeps it up until the end of her days. :flip

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Yes. It's always best to let them warm up prior to strenuous high impact exercise. They need to be well hydrated too.

:nod

It's not always possible to know when they're going to do zoomies, but yes, if you know your dog is going to run (say, you're going to a play date), by all means, walk them around first to warm them up and walk them around afterwards to cool them down so they don't cramp. They are always walked out after races :)

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Ivy would get those when I first adopted her. I put her on Fresh factors and honest to God they went away. I also improved her diet greatly from the track food :) and gave her electolytes and sodium bicarb per the vet when it was real hot-BUT they went completely away and never returned. I know I myself get leg cramps unless I drink Gatorade or PowerAde or something. I have no idea of an explanation-this has just been my experience.

My mom used to tell me that bananas help with leg craps. Something about the potassium or something. Of course, they don't stop craps as they are happening but they can help if you are getting them often.

I always assumed that was why they give bananas to racing hounds as treats. :gh_run2

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Yup, we've had painful leg spasms happen in our house in Beamish. He's young and still doesn't seem to understand that the body has limitations. After he has a good vigorous run, I give him a thorough rub down massage and encourage him to walk about before he lays down. This seems to help thwart any post exercise cramping.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.